Suggestions for good quality boombox with CD player

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

Hi friends,

A cousin or mine (in her 50s) has a large CD collection and prefers to listen to it (instead of ripping and listening to mp3/FLAC). She isn’t tech savvy and wants to keep it simple. She is however a keen listener of Indian classical, old film songs, light classical forms, ghazals etc - someone who regularly attends live concerts.

Her old Phillips boom box conked off and is looking to buy a new one. Budget could be up to Rs 10000. Can you suggest any of the currently available models with good sound quality? Please remember that she is never going to connect it to external amplifier or speakers, but listen through the boombox itself. It has to be portable enough to take from one room to another.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sachin, Sony still makes boomboxes and that may be you best bet at that budget. since a cdp is involved, considering a used one is risky hence not many options

Hi Sachin,

IMO, Boomboxes aren't quite reliable & as the requirement is a good CD player, please refrain from buying one unconditionally. That's the first thing that goes kaput in such machines. You may have to replace it soon.

I have used the Sony MHC-ECL7D System for about 3-4 years. You know, HiFiVision was instrumental in making me understand that the all in one audio systems are no way close to the individual quality audio components. I had to sell it after I learnt!

It's a very good system, with a reliable CD mechanism & the sound quality is pretty good too. I'm sure, you won't be disappointed with it. I remember purchasing it for 13K. You may check in your near by Sony outlets that are dedicated to AV products. You might get it for less compared to online sites.
Product Link for your ref:

https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/hi-fi-systems/mhc-ecl7d/specifications

Thanks!

Hi Sachin,

IMO, Boomboxes aren't quite reliable & as the requirement is a good CD player, please refrain from buying one unconditionally. That's the first thing that goes kaput in such machines. You may have to replace it soon.

I have used the Sony MHC-ECL7D System for about 3-4 years. You know, HiFiVision was instrumental in making me understand that the all in one audio systems are no way close to the individual quality audio components. I had to sell it after I learnt!

It's a very good system, with a reliable CD mechanism & the sound quality is pretty good too. I'm sure, you won't be disappointed with it. I remember purchasing it for 13K. You may check in your near by Sony outlets that are dedicated to AV products. You might get it for less compared to online sites.
Product Link for your ref:

https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/hi-fi-systems/mhc-ecl7d/specifications

Thanks!

Thanks Music Freak for the specific recommendation. As I said earlier, it’s not for me but for a non-audiophile music listener who insists on CD player. A component based system is out of question.

Sachin, Sony still makes boomboxes and that may be you best bet at that budget. since a cdp is involved, considering a used one is risky hence not many options

Somehow Sony boomboxes are not rated highly. But let me explore with an open mind.

@SachinChavan
Please check amazon.in. there you will have some boom box. Found some units having CD,FM/AM. Most of them are either Philips and Sony made.

Yes, I am doing the same. These ones seem to be getting good reviews there.

Panasonic HiFi SC-UA3GW-K Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System with CD Player and Karaoke (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FKPCX4M

Yamaha MCR-B020BL Micro Component System https://www.amazon.in/dp/B019ONOGQM

Thanks Music Freak for the specific recommendation. As I said earlier, it’s not for me but for a non-audiophile music listener who insists on CD player. A component based system is out of question.

Somehow Sony boomboxes are not rated highly. But let me explore with an open mind.

Yes, I am doing the same. These ones seem to be getting good reviews there.

Panasonic HiFi SC-UA3GW-K Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System with CD Player and Karaoke (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07FKPCX4M

Yamaha MCR-B020BL Micro Component System https://www.amazon.in/dp/B019ONOGQM
Hi
Sachinbhai
Both the players seem to be good. Read good reviews about the Panasonic hifi system. It has Bluetooth option alongside CD. Sony hifi as music freak has suggested is also a good option. I have this system for about 6 yrs. It has AM/FM, USB and AUXIN. FM sounds very good ,USB is also user-friendly and CDs also sound good. IMO buying a hifi system of Sony, Panasonic would be better than buying a boom box.Now going off topic I would like to say that reading your post about Bose soundlink , I was inspired and have recently bought a Bose soundlink revolve plus and am quite happy with it. Actually you were so candid in expressing your mind that I was encouraged to go for Bose though previously I hated it after reading some negative reviews in some forum.
Regards
BHASKAR

Hi
Sachinbhai
Both the players seem to be good. Read good reviews about the Panasonic hifi system. It has Bluetooth option alongside CD. Sony hifi as music freak has suggested is also a good option. I have this system for about 6 yrs. It has AM/FM, USB and AUXIN. FM sounds very good ,USB is also user-friendly and CDs also sound good. IMO buying a hifi system of Sony, Panasonic would be better than buying a boom box.Now going off topic I would like to say that reading your post about Bose soundlink , I was inspired and have recently bought a Bose soundlink revolve plus and am quite happy with it. Actually you were so candid in expressing your mind that I was encouraged to go for Bose though previously I hated it after reading some negative reviews in some forum.
Regards
BHASKAR

Bhaskar, that SONY model doesn’t seem to be available anymore except on the Sony website. The Yamaha seems to have sweet sound on lower volumes while the Panasonic seems to excel in energetic bass.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Bose Soundlink. A good thing about Bose speakers is their longevity. Their performance doesn’t deteriorate with time. So wish you many years of joyful listening.

In fact, this suits rather let me go ahead & say that it's for the non-audiophiles & not the individual component based system. Doesn't need any assembly of sort. It's a mini HiFi with two stereo speakers like the tape recorders of the old! Attach the speakers & good to go!

Hi
Sachinbhai
Another option may be buying a cheap CDP available in market and hooking it up with a pair of active speakers like Edifier, Philips etc when your cousin has lots of CDs and prefers spinning media else go for either Yamaha or Panasonic. Thank you for your kind words about BOSE. I am not so technologically sound so I have to depend on the advices of our valued forum members and in most cases I am benefitted.
Regards
Bhaskar

dont know about this particular model ...but generally Panasonic has a very exciting sound (not bright) ....it draws the listener ....
before shifiting to HIFI , I have used one for nearly 9 yrs ....and I still regret giving it away ...

dont know about this particular model ...but generally Panasonic has a very exciting sound (not bright) ....it draws the listener ....
before shifiting to HIFI , I have used one for nearly 9 yrs ....and I still regret giving it away ...

Yes, that’s the impression I built too. That the Panasonic is energetic and peppy while the Yamaha is calm and sweet. I explained the two options to my cousin. She seems inclined towards Yamaha.

A time machine ? I had the same requirement for my mom a few years back. Sadly coulnt find any

A time machine ? I had the same requirement for my mom a few years back. Sadly coulnt find any

Saurabh, the alternatives in posts above seem to be the best ones around today.

Bose wave soundtouch but it is expensive

Yes, it is not in her budget. And though there are old Wave III available around Rs 15k, she doesn’t prefer used.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back