suggestions invited for 5.1 system

sand64

hi friends i have just joind in ...

My search for a good system brought me here .. i need a minimum 5.1 music system within 60k that my neighbour should envy.. so please suggest. I will add a LCD later on..

Also I am in dual mind as i have another option to upgrade my existing system perticularly using its speakers. i have a pair of floorstanders (4-way 8" woofers tweeters & midrange) of my 15 year old BPL make system and a pair of bookshelf (wooden) of very old Murphy stereo. Is it ok if i use them as front L&R and rear L&R and develop a component system by adding reciever, powerfull amplifier, subwoofer & front speaker.

So what should i do...... go ahead as above or discard everything & buy a all new system by spending 50-60k.

Please suggest..

thanks..

sand64

Since you are the kind of guy who is not fond of discarding audio equipment for many years, its best you purchase something that will satisfy your audio appetite and last long enough for your grand children to enjoy. Ofcourse there is no such thing as cheap and best, so you will have to more than double your budget for the whole 5.1 system, but you can buy it as a stereo setup and add the sub, centre and rear speakers in the years to come as you get more money. Its well worth it if you dont wanna upgrade for long and Genelec products dont go obsolete for decades. Check out the new Genelec 6010 + 5040 system.
Genelec - 6010A & 5040A System
You can get a demo in Bombay at Pandam located in Mahim
Genelec Oy - Distributors
Genelec is a company based in Finland and provides most of the recording studios worldwide with loudspeaker monitoring systems. They still provide spares and service for their earliest models manufactured 3 decades ago

hi friends i have just joind in ...

My search for a good system brought me here .. i need a minimum 5.1 music system within 60k that my neighbour should envy.. so please suggest. I will add a LCD later on..

Also I am in dual mind as i have another option to upgrade my existing system perticularly using its speakers. i have a pair of floorstanders (4-way 8" woofers tweeters & midrange) of my 15 year old BPL make system and a pair of bookshelf (wooden) of very old Murphy stereo. Is it ok if i use them as front L&R and rear L&R and develop a component system by adding reciever, powerfull amplifier, subwoofer & front speaker.

So what should i do...... go ahead as above or discard everything & buy a all new system by spending 50-60k.

Please suggest..

thanks..

sand64

do you listen to more of music or is it tv. ditch the bpl speakers and go with a fully new kit. also room size, distance of neigbours house from yours etc will help

Thanks afj...

I mostly listen to music.. I shall discard my old equipments but in phases... I wish to use them for now to keep the cost minimum and shall add & discard them with better equipments in future..

Anyway even if i discard my old equipments, what are your suggestions... No fixed room size as i am on transferable job.

thanks again

sand
if you mostly listen to music then you dont need a 5.1 surround sound system. a simple stereo set up with give you better results within your fixed budget - since what you would spend on 5 speakers you can now spend on two speakers. im not sure on your room size to help you decide whether you could go with floorstanders or bookshelves but you can look at the following and decide

floorstanders - monitor audio bronze br5, kef iq series, wharfedale diamonds
bookshelves - monitor audio silver rs1
amps - nad, cambridge, marantz stereo amps

i would suggest you go with the monitor audio silver bookshelves over the floorstanders esp if your room size isnt too large. listen to the speakers first and then we can help you match it with an amp. the monitor audios and kefs are better than the wharfedales imo, though the wharfedales are better on price.

its also good to buy a decent cdp or a dvd player - but if its out of budget for now you can add on later. but for 60k you will get a very good stereo system

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back