suggestions to fix the acoustic issues in my home theatre

ankitkapadia

i have recently installed Paradigm millenia series speakers but there is a lot of boominess in my room when i play some movies... particularly the bass... need to fix them. any suggestions??

im facing similar problem... i am in the lookout for a solution too. i heard that acoustical panels might come in handy... not sure how effective they will be... im not sure whether to spend more on acoustical treatment.... would it be worth the investment?? looking out for a veterans opinion

There are a few ways to reduce boominess:

- Move the Millenia sub to the midpoint of your room width, which will cut down the biggest room resonance (standing wave).

- Absorb some of the excess bass by using bass traps in as many corners of the room as possible.

- IF you are sitting at a wall, then move your seating away (bass is boomiest at boundries).

thanks sdurani... moving the subs made a lot of difference. can you suggest any brands for the bass traps? how should be my approach?

thanks sdurani... moving the subs made a lot of difference. can you suggest any brands for the bass traps? how should be my approach?
Don't know of any local brands, since I live on the other side of the planet. Might be easier to make your own, using 6 inches of rigid insulation (rockwool or fiberglass) in a wood frame, covered with breathable cloth (burlap works great). Place them stradling as many corners in your room as possible, so you have a triangular air gap behind the panel.

There are a few ways to reduce boominess:

- Move the Millenia sub to the midpoint of your room width, which will cut down the biggest room resonance (standing wave).

- Absorb some of the excess bass by using bass traps in as many corners of the room as possible.

- IF you are sitting at a wall, then move your seating away (bass is boomiest at boundries).

sdurani - we usually place the CS in the middle below the screen or above to get the effect of characters speaking and place the SUb on the side on the floor.

Are you suggesting that the sub has to be placed in the middle for avoiding atleast some problems?

sdurani - we usually place the CS in the middle below the screen or above to get the effect of characters speaking and place the SUb on the side on the floor.
What is the benefit of placing the subwoofer at that location?
Are you suggesting that the sub has to be placed in the middle for avoiding atleast some problems?
Placing a subwoofer at the midpoint of room width can cancel the room's first width mode (standing wave, room resonance, whatever you prefer to call it), resulting in smoother bass response across the entire seating area. The smoother the response (fewer peaks & dips), the less boomy the bass will sound.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back