Supra Classic 6.0 speaker cable.

Shivam

I recently purchased this speaker cable to try with my system. At the price it is being offered it was not a very expensive experiment and so I opted for it. One of the groups that favoured it were the discussions on the audiogon forum.

I changed the cables from Monster S16 black speaker cable which is also an inexpensive but good sounding cable. I have also tried a few other speaker cables in the past few days that include VDH D352, Wireworld Luna and Equinox, one from the chord company and another one from Jamo. I wanted to try Nordost too but could not manage it in my city. I was almost sure of opting for the VDH D352 which sounded the best on my system. It was a little over my budget and so I needed a little time to think over it. During this time another friend of mine suggested the Supra cable. Like others, I have been a fan of their power cables but never had I actually tried their speaker cables.

Played a gamble and bought a length of the cable from Lakozy, Delhi.
Thankfully it turned out to be a good bet.

The cable is really thick and multistaranded. The individual copper strands are tin plated. According to the makers, this reduces the skin effect. The first impression I had with this cable was of excessive low frequency. It really frees up the bass. While replacing the speaker cables, I had moved the speakers and a little shift back to the original position and the bass became well controlled and energetic. The mid range remained similar to my earlier cable and sounded sweet. The high frequencies became smoother and very pleasing. I feel that this is one hidden treasure at a very reasonable price.
The cable has good sheathing but I prefer to run it not very close to all other cables.

It might not be upto the expectations of some but for me this has been one of the best cables that I have heard in my system.

(I use the cable bare ended).

Supra makes some very nice cables. I was very happy with them as well until I upgraded recently.

Few more additions -

I have been using this cable for many happy listening hours now and there has been no change in the sound signature. There is no 'burning in' happening with them ! The bare ends are as clean as new. The tin coating really seems to help. I tired raising the cables a little from the carpet and still there was no change in sound signature. I guess that the shielding is good too.

My only gripe is the color. If only Supra had some color other than the sky blue (which they use for all the cables.)

Few more additions -

I have been using this cable for many happy listening hours now and there has been no change in the sound signature. There is no 'burning in' happening with them ! The bare ends are as clean as new. The tin coating really seems to help. I tired raising the cables a little from the carpet and still there was no change in sound signature. I guess that the shielding is good too.

My only gripe is the color. If only Supra had some color other than the sky blue (which they use for all the cables.)

Buy some cable sleeve and put over it, then it will like an professional / fancier cable;)

sample listing

Do you know of any place in India where similar sheaths can be bought ?

Try Biren Sheth at Kiran Sales Corp, Lamington Road, Mumbai. Number 9322235353. They stock Techflex sleeving like this in various colours and sizes:

balanced4.jpg

Or this:

powercablesleeved2copy.jpg

If you plan to use mesh sleeving, do plan for heatshrink sleeving to hold down the ends of the mesh sleeving. Typically heat shrink sleeves shrink by 50% of original size when heated, so plan the diameter accordingly. Also, from my limited experience, it is best to choose mesh sleeve colour that matches the insulation colour of the actual cable being sleeved (or at least similar shade) since the insulator's colour can show up in the holes in the mesh and sometimes can be discordant.

The cable is of a thick gauge and inserting each and every strand into the speaker binding posts on the amplifier and on the posts of the speakers was quite a task. Since I am using a thick multistrand cable, I wanted all the strands to be in direct contact with the amp and speaker.

Today I am planning to remove the connectors between the binding posts on the speakers and replace them with small lengths of a 16 gauge speaker cable. I'll post the differences in sound if any.

I forgot about this thread totally until recently when I linked my for sale thread to it.

Some more additions to my earlier experiences with the cable-

Replacing the jumpers with the same speaker wire made the mid-range more pronounced. No idea why that happened especially since the jumpers were clean and thick.

I also added Supra connectors to the speaker wire and I heard no change in sound signature after addition of the connectors. However they did make the connections better and easier to clean. (I recommend cleaning the connections once in every few months).

After using for many months, I didn't hear any change in the sound signature.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back