Surge protection for Yggy

I'm sure Belkin would suffice.

Don't have a Yggy yet, but most modern homes have a circuit breaker that's a good first line of defense.

In addition I use extension cables with a fuse, sine wave home UPS, and Belkin surge protectors for all electronics. Never had any issues and all my DACs, NAS, network devices (routers, network switches, etc.), and a couple of PCs/HTPCs run 24/7 on it.

I'd invest in a 1 or 1.5 KVA sine wave home UPS specifically for electronics and Belkin surge protectors and you are good to go.

Thanks RegeHa. In Mumbai, there are no power cuts. Also voltage is pretty stable. So I wouldn't want to go the UPS route. So just considering a surge suppressor to give me mental peace or a regenerator to get clean power

Thanks RegeHa. In Mumbai, there are no power cuts. Also voltage is pretty stable. So I wouldn't want to go the UPS route. So just considering a surge suppressor to give me mental peace or a regenerator to get clean power

This comes highly reviewed, Amazon.in: Buy Belkin 12-Outlet Pivot-Plug Surge Protector with 8 ft. Cord Online at Low Prices in India | Belkin Reviews & Ratings. I use the regular ones myself... cost around 1200-1300.

No power cuts in Hyd either... just use the UPS for added security and the off chance of power outage.

When in US I used PS Audio power conditioners/cleaners, but honestly never heard anything better in terms of SQ... so I'm not entirely sold on them.

Thanks RegeHa for the link. I just need a 2 or max 4 outlet unit. Will open the unit and bypass the outlets.

Thanks Naturelover. Will look into it. It's a good idea since I can install one at the mains box for my dedicated audio line

I am little confused with these surge protector extension boxes. I have used many of these Belkin ones for non critical applications like laptops, tvs etc..Most dont last more than 2 years. Almost all of them go with a tiny explosion and a strange smell. Once this happens, you can pretty much throw them in the dustbin. The MOV inside has burned out with the surge and they cannot be repaired from what I know.

I am wondering how the tripp-lite and zero surge models work ? Do they have MOVs like the Belkin ?

Belkin, the name is better compared to their products. Their products look good from outside but inherently they are average from inside. Thats why my experience is.

I am little confused with these surge protector extension boxes. I have used many of these Belkin ones for non critical applications like laptops, tvs etc..Most dont last more than 2 years. Almost all of them go with a tiny explosion and a strange smell. Once this happens, you can pretty much throw them in the dustbin. The MOV inside has burned out with the surge and they cannot be repaired from what I know.

I am wondering how the tripp-lite and zero surge models work ? Do they have MOVs like the Belkin ?

the zero surge works on the older technology
no MOVs ( they advertise that as an advantage )
thats debatable

but aside from that

anyway sqaure wave
your experience with BELKIN is correct
BUT thats exactly how they are SUPPOSED to function
MOVS ARE supposed to sacrifice themselves
and then they need to be replaced
thats how it works - and thats how it should work

many a time people do see trips and blown fuses
they just go about replacing the fuse and putting the button "ON" once again
Many devices like the MX even WORK in this condition
However it is dangerous to keep using them without knowing exactly whats happened
FUSE is only the first line of defence
a blown fuse may also indicate a blown MOV
and if the MOV is blown
the product is now technically out of warranty and is not supposed to protect against any more surrges

the number of surges that MOVs are resilient to depends on the ckt and joule rating
and thats where things get expensive as in the case onf the monster black box

Prem
just build the ckt man
3 movs and 3 caps
will give you a basic ckt which is sufficient line of defence for your DAC
A well built one with good components will better MOST commercially availble surge protection devices by a good margin

Thanks Magma for the suggestion. In fact Magma was the first person I contacted for a suggestion since he builds advanced power distributors with filters and suppressor. Since I did not want any filtration I requested him to suggest a surge protector. Unfortunately the brand Magma suggested no longer makes it.

Magma, I am a complete novice when it comes to DIY. Any suggestions as to who can build one for me?

I have a dedicated power line for audio from my main panel. It has its own circuit breaker. What if I add a Schneider Square D surge protector at the mains box itself?

Also I believe Siemens has a circuit breaker cum surge protector. Maybe I could replace my existing circuit breaker for the Audio line with that?

Suggestions and opinions are most welcome

Thanks Mahiruha

I want to avoid sockets in my surge suppressor. Hence am looking at a surge protector without a socket where I can solder incoming and outgoing wires

mahi
the item you have linked

it is nothing but a regular 4 socket belkn ( plus some extra sockets )
By advertising ULTIMATE series
they havent put any extra protection or features
if you ever open it you will see one MOV and 1 capacitor acrosss the lines

only this product has added features like LAN wire surge protect USB charging surge protect etc - all of which are useless

the product prem linked earlier is much better
the one with the US sockets
it uses industrial grade wiring and has an option of OFC as well

Thanks Bhaskarcan. I want to avoid filtering and just stick to suppression. I know lukasz likes rf filtering but I prefer non filtered AC into my components

Prem if I were you and wanted the DAC 24/7 operational I would have got myself an online ups of about 600VA roughly 300 watts and be devil may care there after!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back