Surround speakers position

datuca

Hi,
I am starting the interiors for my new house in a couple of weeks. My wife has been communicating with the architect and yesterday I saw the final layouts. The problem is that she placed the surround speakers way behind and way too high from sitting area. She does not want to have speaker stands as she has not allocated space for them. I am not sure what do to. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Attached are images of the design of the living room:
Picture 1 (Layout (2).jpg): Its the layout of the entire flat with the HT and TV on left top side.
Picture 2 (view - living 1.jpg): Gives the view of where and the TV/speakers/AV/SW are going to be place.
Picture 3 (view - low seating.jpg): Shows the area behind the couch (main seating area) where the surrounds are going to be placed.

Also, since I have to get the speaker wiring done before hand, is blindly going with DAC speaker wires ok?

I have not started auditioning for A/V and speakers yet but I am looking at Yamaha, Marantz and Denon for A/V and Whaferdale, polk and mission for speakers. haven't thought about BD player yet.
Total budget except for TV is 1.5L.

Thanks,
Girish.

Attachments

• layout (2).jpg
    layout (2).jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 157
  • view - living 1.jpg
    view - living 1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 153
  • view - low seating.jpg
    view - low seating.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 153
Surr in image 3 are correct if you used Bipoles.
If you are going for Sat/BS, on Lt side you have Shelf where you can keep.
The right surr can be on side wall.

Datuca,
You can go for DAC or Bandrige speaker wires as budget options. Else you can for Eagle which are slightly more costly. Try to get 16 awg wires.

The surrounds are indeed quite far back and high up. Cant you place two bookshelves on stands on either side of the sofa? If not what about ceiling mounts for speakers? Something like this:
Speaker Mounting Brackets

The front right speaker is too near the right wall as you face the TV. See if you can place the whole system including the TV and the front speakers dead centre in the grey wall area.

Since the whole HT system is to a side of the room, you have two options for surrounds. One; use bookshelves on stands to get a 5.1 effect. Two; use in wall speakers and mount the speakers on the ceiling above your head. With so much distance between you and the speakers on the rear wall, and that too what look like satellite speakers, you will not get any great surround sound effect.

For aesthetics, it may be better to use in-wall, speakers that can give you good sound effect. You must look for speakers that have large dispersion and can throw sound to a distance. Look for speakers similar to the CA series made by KLING & FREITAG ( http://www.kling-freitag.biz/17.0.html?&L=1 )

Last edited:
Surr in image 3 are correct if you used Bipoles.
If you are going for Sat/BS, on Lt side you have Shelf where you can keep.
The right surr can be on side wall.

Really? Bipoles would work even if they are so high and behind the seating area?

Which companies do you suggest for them, price similar to Wharfedale surrounds.

Thanks.

I can move the TV in the centre and move the speakers to the left, not an issue.

I am not using satellites for Surrounds, that image is created by the architect and she does not know any better.

K&F look expensive. Any idea on the price range and quality?

Also, I am in mumbai and if any of you can help me with auditions/installation/etc.. I would really appreciate it. Plus, it will be fun for sure as drinks that night will be on me. :)

The front right speaker is too near the right wall as you face the TV. See if you can place the whole system including the TV and the front speakers dead centre in the grey wall area.

Since the whole HT system is to a side of the room, you have two options for surrounds. One; use bookshelves on stands to get a 5.1 effect. Two; use in wall speakers and mount the speakers on the ceiling above your head. With so much distance between you and the speakers on the rear wall, and that too what look like satellite speakers, you will not get any great surround sound effect.

For aesthetics, it may be better to use in-wall, speakers that can give you good sound effect. You must look for speakers that have large dispersion and can throw sound to a distance. Look for speakers similar to the CA series made by KLING & FREITAG ( KLING & FREITAG

Thanks iaudio.
I will weigh price ro performance ratio and then decide on the speaker wires. Now I know DAC might not be the best way to go.

I might be able to put a stand for left surround but there is a wall on the right side. Do you think putting the speakers on ceiling will give good surround effect? I had thought they should be about ear level and slightly on the outside and behind the seating area.

Datuca,
You can go for DAC or Bandrige speaker wires as budget options. Else you can for Eagle which are slightly more costly. Try to get 16 awg wires.

The surrounds are indeed quite far back and high up. Cant you place two bookshelves on stands on either side of the sofa? If not what about ceiling mounts for speakers? Something like this:
Speaker Mounting Brackets

Really? Bipoles would work even if they are so high and behind the seating area?

Which companies do you suggest for them, price similar to Wharfedale surrounds.

Thanks.

Wharf WH2 are reasonable one(7k).
Other way like Venket said to use stands.
I have taken Demo os Whrf 9 HCP where surr(BS) were kept on baclwall above my ears & still I was getting good surr.(this is not std position though)

Last edited:
Hi Girish,

I know it is a bit of acompromise but your livingroom is just not shaped to have good A/V experince in my view.Venkat has covered this to some extent and I will add to his observations.

• Your TV is too high on the wall esp. if you are choosing anything below 50"
  • The distance between the viewing andsitting position is too far.
  • You need to move the sub between the speakers to create some breathing room by shifting the entire set towards the centre ofthewall.
  • You need to ensure that you place your centre channel at ear height but with your TV in place you may want to wall mount and tilt lower to fit your seating position.
  • I would recommend in ceiling speakers so that way you can go for a 5.1 or 7.1 system.
If your wife did not approve of speakers with stands, then I am pretty sure that the surrounds with stands are a no go esp. as you have to draw cables to them somehow.

Finally, I think you may be better off if you can place your system horizontally in the area. Is that a possibility?

Thanks Marsilians. Reply below in CAPS:

Hi Girish,

I know it is a bit of acompromise but your livingroom is just not shaped to have good A/V experince in my view.Venkat has covered this to some extent and I will add to his observations.

• Your TV is too high on the wall esp. if you are choosing anything below 50"

PLANNING ON 46" AND I CAN LOWER IT, NO ISSUES.
  • The distance between the viewing andsitting position is too far.

ITS ABOUT 10 FEET. I DOUBT THATS A LOT.
  • You need to move the sub between the speakers to create some breathing room by shifting the entire set towards the centre ofthewall.

CAN BE DONE, NO ISSUES.
  • You need to ensure that you place your centre channel at ear height but with your TV in place you may want to wall mount and tilt lower to fit your seating position.

I CAN LOWER THE TV AND PLACE THE CENTRE ABOVE IT. IT MIGHT BE LITTLE HIGHER THAN EAR LEVEL THOUGH.
  • I would recommend in ceiling speakers so that way you can go for a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

MAY BE A 7.1 SYSTEM WILL GIVE BETTER RESULTS IF I PLACE THE ONE PAIR WHERE THEY ARE IN THE IMAGE ABOVE AND SECOND PAIR ON THE CELILING JUST BEHIND AND ABOVE THE SEATING AREA?
If your wife did not approve of speakers with stands, then I am pretty sure that the surrounds with stands are a no go esp. as you have to draw cables to them somehow.

Finally, I think you may be better off if you can place your system horizontally in the area. Is that a possibility?

IF I SUGGEST THAT YOU MIGHT READ ABOUT MY WIFE KILLING ME IN MUMBAI MIRROR. LOL

Hi Dear Member,
Suggest you go for a 7.1 system with surround speakers just in front of sitting position at slightly above ear level and the sofa should be between surround speakers and rear speakers. Gives excellent effect, I have same in my house (Not that Wifey did not protest, but one should adopt the tactics of "jor ka dhakka dhgire se lage"..!!). Placing the surround speakers that high robs you off the pleasures of real audio effects. By the way why don't you go for a screen and a HD projector? Screen can be fitted from the roof and does not spoil the decor while the projector can also be hung from roof..well, there's no end to it..but lastly, perhaps book shelf speakers will suit you better under the circumstances and a MARANTZ BD 7003 BLU RAY player is highly recommended.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back