SVS PB 1000 died?

ankitbhargava

Hi

I just came back Home after 3 weeks of travel and turned on my HT.
Seemed SVS PB 1000 Sub isint engaging.

Upon checking I did not hear anything coming out of it, disconnected power and all cables and put back.. still no sound.

Put up my other sub woofer and it worked.

I could see Blue LED on the Sub but there is definitely no sound.

Is it blown away?

I just completed 1 year of owing it last week :(

Any suggestions for diagnosing issue?

Is there fuse thing in it ? Am not sure about this model but I have pb series and it has a fuse thing, if so it could be fuse issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Open the amp plate and check the wire going from the amp to the driver trrminal... that might have loosen or fallen apart.

Is there fuse thing in it ? Am not sure about this model but I have pb series and it has a fuse thing, if so it could be fuse issue.

I looked around the Sub but could not find any visible Fuse, will confirm this with SVS support tomorrow.

Hi

If one year is up and warranty is over don't see how would anything get void? Anyways, if you open the screws carefully without putting a scratch, you don't necessary need to tell them you opened it.....

In all likelihood some dry solder issue of certain wires to the driver (Speaker) or fuse....don't worry, SVS is built as good as a tank!

Call up SVS or write to them. Their USA support is very good and might give you some pointers. If its powering on, then the problem might be easier to sort out. Unfortunately; the five year warranty isn't applicable in India.

A buddy's SB13 Ultra died soon after he bought it. It made a clunk clunk sound and went dead. The amplifier was dead. Fortunately; the dealer (ARN) was very supportive and took back the unit and offered a full refund. However; in his quest for buying another SB13 Ultra, he was given all sorts of reasons by the Coimbatore distributor for not honoring a five year warranty. He finally interacted directly with SVS USA and they offered him a 5 year warranty for a sub woofer purchased through the India distributor. This was 4 years ago. Not sure if things have changed.

Hi

If one year is up and warranty is over don't see how would anything get void? Anyways, if you open the screws carefully without putting a scratch, you don't necessary need to tell them you opened it.....

In all likelihood some dry solder issue of certain wires to the driver (Speaker) or fuse....don't worry, SVS is built as good as a tank!

OK, so I contacted USA support last night only and they sent me a manual to open up Amp and do some testing.

I did the same and figured out its the Amp (2 capacitors seem to have gone bad, one of them is almost melted). I sent them pictures and they confirmed that Amp need to be replaced (not repaired) and directed me to Acoustic Arts. Have emailed them and I am expecting them to atleast respect International warranty what SVS claim publicly of 5 years.

on 17th July I just completed one year of purchase.

Call me idiot but at the time of purchase I really did not ask HTstore about the warranty. There was probably not warranty document with the Sub.

I am hoping that SVS don't discriminate being an Indian buyer and respect their reputation.

Shall keep posted.

Call up SVS or write to them. Their USA support is very good and might give you some pointers. If its powering on, then the problem might be easier to sort out. Unfortunately; the five year warranty isn't applicable in India.

A buddy's SB13 Ultra died soon after he bought it. It made a clunk clunk sound and went dead. The amplifier was dead. Fortunately; the dealer (ARN) was very supportive and took back the unit and offered a full refund. However; in his quest for buying another SB13 Ultra, he was given all sorts of reasons by the Coimbatore distributor for not honoring a five year warranty. He finally interacted directly with SVS USA and they offered him a 5 year warranty for a sub woofer purchased through the India distributor. This was 4 years ago. Not sure if things have changed.

Thats a great pointer, I actually contacted USA support already.

OK, so I contacted USA support last night only and they sent me a manual to open up Amp and do some testing.

I did the same and figured out its the Amp (2 capacitors seem to have gone bad, one of them is almost melted). I sent them pictures and they confirmed that Amp need to be replaced (not repaired) and directed me to Acoustic Arts. Have emailed them and I am expecting them to atleast respect International warranty what SVS claim publicly of 5 years.

on 17th July I just completed one year of purchase.

Call me idiot but at the time of purchase I really did not ask HTstore about the warranty. There was probably not warranty document with the Sub.

I am hoping that SVS don't discriminate being an Indian buyer and respect their reputation.

Shall keep posted.

Did you receive warranty card when u purchased the sub if yes then should not be issue and should be sorted out.

Did you receive warranty card when u purchased the sub if yes then should not be issue and should be sorted out.

Sad, I did not get any warranty Card but here is progress..

Spoke to SVS support in USA again and they said I should be covered under warranty.

Acoustic Arts has asked to ship back Amp Module but has cleared if it will be repaired or replaced.

Gr8, but any idea what has caused capacitor to melt ? Any excess heat due or any power issue ?

Gr8, but any idea what has caused capacitor to melt ? Any excess heat due or any power issue ?

I dont think it could be power issue, there are many sensitive equipment on same power source. I do not understand much of electrical but what I have been told is it does have a fuse and few more layer of protection before power issue could hurt main board or components.

These Capacitors are on output side. I will try to post a picture for members who understand the assembly part.

True, fuse would be first part to blow if any power issue, but then anything getting melted is also is worry which would happen only due to excess heat, this is just to ensure same thing doesn't happen in future, also is it the placement where it doesn't get air and getting heatup due to constant usage.

Very much surprised to know a defect on SVS sub. Normally haven't heard much negative remarks against them. Good to know SVS backing up. I too have SVS PB1000 bought from HTStore.

Also off topic, you seem to be using 2 sub setup with SVS PB 1000 |Velodyne Impact 12. Normally they recommend to use same sub setup for best bass response. Would be interested to know more on this!

True, fuse would be first part to blow if any power issue, but then anything getting melted is also is worry which would happen only due to excess heat, this is just to ensure same thing doesn't happen in future, also is it the placement where it doesn't get air and getting heatup due to constant usage.

I generally use the HT setup for no more than 2 hours at one go, the Room is large and Airconed. Sub is 2 feet away from wall and has ventilation.

:)

Very much surprised to know a defect on SVS sub. Normally haven't heard much negative remarks against them. Good to know SVS backing up. I too have SVS PB1000 bought from HTStore.

Also off topic, you seem to be using 2 sub setup with SVS PB 1000 |Velodyne Impact 12. Normally they recommend to use same sub setup for best bass response. Would be interested to know more on this!

I agree, have heard that SVS is robust and people are using over the years.

I am not using velodyne anymore as a part of main HT setup, it did have a cancellation effect. Only PB 1000 has been sufficient for my Room.

Also I now found velodyne to be louder but less accurate in comparison to SVS. Just my personal observation but velodyne does give a room filling effect.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back