SVS PB 2000: Output too low?

Nagaraj S

Hi all,

A few days back, I purchased the SVS PB 2000 from htsore.in. There was no demo unit at htstore, and I bough this sub based on purely the unanimously positive reviews this sub has all over the net! This was risky - buying an expensive sub without an audition, but I still went ahead. I had a Mordaunt-Short 309i for 8 years, and I was happy with that sub.

My setup:
AVR: Denon 1910
Fronts: Tannoy Mercury F4
Rear: Tannoy Mercury F1
No center
Pioneer BDP 320 player

Day1:

The PB 2000 arrived, I hooked it up, placed it along the fronts, spun my favorite track on the CD, hoping to have some impressive bass. Result? Disappointing!

The sub was simply underwhelming! The output at 11'O clock should give some reasonable bass given that it has a 500 W RMS amp, but the volume was low, and the bass weak. I did the following (in fact this has been my setting for years):

1. On the AVR, set the fronts to "Small" even though they are floor standers. The rear too are "Small"
2. Set the LFE crossover to the recommend 80 Hz.
3. Cranked up sub channel sensitivity on the AVR to + 2.5 db
4. Left the speaker crossover at the default 80 Hz

Played the same track again (from Sade's "Lovers Rock - a bass heavy album, but with very clean recording). The result was a marginal improvement while still being discouraging.
Moved the sub to a corner, with the distance from the walls being twice the 3-inch port diameter on the sub (as SVS recommends). And set the volume to close to 1'O clock.
The loudness improved, but with a lot of boom. I could NOT hear any of the glowing adjectives that the sub has received on the net : loud, deep, rumbling, kick-in-the-chest, tight (perhaps it is too tight).

Day 2:
Called htstore.in, and mentioned my problem. They suggested to use "LFE+Main" setting on the AVR in bass management - I reluctantly agreed since this is not something sub experts on the net recommend. I did try "LFE+Main", the output was now loud, but I was not sure whether it was due to the SUB alone or the fronts too were delivering louder output - and the bass still remained boomy.

At 1'o clock, my previous MS309i at 175 W RMS was as loud as the SVS. Perhaps it is just not about RMS.

Day 3:
Set the LFE crossover at 120 Hz after lot of reading on the net.
Moved the sub away from the corner (about a feet), but close to the other wall by 6 inches.
Reduced the channel sensitivity of fronts, rear, and sub to 0 db (they were all at +2.5 db)
Increased my listening volume, and moved my seating position farther from the sub by 1.5 feet.
I could hear some improvement now, but the on the whole the SVS has been underwhelming and disappointing. (I have not tried the subwoofer crawl yet.)

Am I missing something fundamental? Has any SVS PB 2000 owner faced this? Did it improve after any intervention? Is this a bad unit I have got? The bass now is tight alright, but the room-filling, strong, deep bass that you can feel is really missing - something many SVS PB 2000 owners seem to find it. (I also see that there are some posts on SVS been too low on output on the net). I am not necessarily looking for bass that rattles the windows and annoys the neighbors, but I would appreciate any input, direction on this regard from fellow FMs.

Many thanks in advance for your time,
Nagaraj

Last edited:
Had a similar issue with the pb2000. Placement of sub plays a major. Did the subwoofer crawl and changed the placement. There was good improvement in the bass. My settings are lfe+main, output on sub 2oclok, phase zero, frequency 80hz. My receiver is the same denon. The pb is good for movies and not very good for music.

First let it burn in.
Secondly l have mentioned in forum that SVS subs do miss midbass kick.
Always need to demo product before buying.

Agree with Spirovious....

Let the sub blend and burn in for 40 hours atleast before jumping to a conclusion.

Hi all,

A few days back, I purchased the SVS PB 2000 from htsore.in.

Congratulations. Did you do an Audyssey routine? How does it sound while playing a movie? Loop a bass heavy soundtrack for a couple of hours while you are out shopping.

MaSh

Hi Nagaraj,

I have sb 2000 placed in right corner 1feet from rear & side wall room size 14/20 xover 80hz sub & receiver. Sub volume @ 2'o clock. Receiver volume o.o.No issues room filling deep bass.

Yes it lacks midbass punch.

What I understood from reading is that midbass is something more than 80Hz - 120Hz? I am not sure though.
If that is true and with a cut-off of 80Hz will the sub produce any midbass?

Forgive the slight OT, but what is midbass kick/punch and should a sub be expected to deliver it?
Have been trying to find out on Google but there doesn't seem to be any consistent opinions on the frequency range of midbass.

What I understood from reading is that midbass is something more than 80Hz - 120Hz? I am not sure though.
If that is true and with a cut-off of 80Hz will the sub produce any midbass?

There is an *LFE* crossover (set at 120 Hz) and the *speaker* crossover (Set at the default 80 Hz) on the AVR.

If the midbass is indeed 80 to 120 Hz then the sub isn't getting those signals especially during music playback, since audio CDs dont have an LFE track.
I can adjust the speaker crossover at 120Hz, but will that not give rise to bass localization at the subwoofer location?
Thanks,
Nagaraj

Hi

If the Fronts you use are capable to produce bass below 80hz then sent the Bass settings to Main+Sub.

Secondly, depending on the frequency range for Fronts, Center and Surround...adjust the minimum frequency.....if they can handle 80hz..keep the setting on 90hz... so what ever is 90hz and below will be sent to the Sub.

Next is depending on sub placement, adjust the subwoofer level on the AVR...sometimes the Audyssey setup fails and that's where you need to manually tweak levels of the source and for each speaker.....

For example...my 5.0 speakers can easily handle 80hz but I took a conservative approach and kept it at 100hz....

Bass settings is Main + Sub.

Subwoofer LFE is 120hz....you can keep it at 150hz...this means sub will handle all low frequencies up till the specified hz...

This will help all speakers to cross talk and blend in.....try 120hz first then 150hz and see what appeals to you.....

SVS subs have smooth level dials and hence keep it at 1 pm position....

All the best...

LFE may contain above 80hzs.
Also 60 to 80hz should give little thicker bass which doesn't sound accurate with SVS.
The actual punch present in movie can be missed easily.

@op

I am about to buy SVS PB 2000 but now I saw your thread..
Please confirm about your present experience..is it still not good or any changes in its performance ??

@snoogans,
I think this sub slowly grows on you.
Earlier, I had written to SVN support and they confirmed that the sub amp really kicks in after 2 PM - supposedly an intentional design to protect the sub amp. Till 12, don't expect any significant output.

After a lot of tweaks, and now the gain at 1 PM, this sub is exceptionally good for movies. And again, I think a sub's performance could significantly depend on the room acoustics - my room has large glass panes, which resonate, and floor with tiles. I believe that the sub could perform better in a an acoustics-friendly room.

I cannot comment on music performance though since my amp/processor is an entry level Denon AVR 1910 (a decent AVR in its own right). With a good source player and processing, the sub could be good for music too.

If you like to watch movies in a HT setup, you cannot go wrong with this sub. But, be prepared for long hours of tweaking and experimenting with this sub before you get it right.

As an owner, do I recommend this sub? It would be an unqualified "Yes!"

Regards,
Nagaraj

According to my experience the sub placement really matters for its performance .Depending upon placement and your room the sub LFE effect will changes a lot.
Please do a sub crawl and place it .Then do the Audyssey room calibration.
Even for my dual sub setup ,we've done a sub crawl.(The main constraint is Some time we cant able to place the sub according to the sub crawl ,due to living place limitations ).

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back