Switch Off!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you will find that most of us do maximum listening at 10-11 pm. I have a crazy ritual. Shut the living room windows (live on ground floor), close the living room door, move center table out of the way, drag favorite chair 1/3 way into the room, sit leaning forward staring very intently at the blank tv (so it seems to others).

Back on topic, I think unplugging is the safe option not just for the power savings but also with monsoon season not too far away, I wouldn't want my electronics on during a thunderstorm when I am out of the house. I am sure life of the electronics is also extended by giving them suitable rest.

I am sure life of the electronics is also extended by giving them suitable rest.

Some electronics live longer when left on and most failures take place during power ON, which is why they have soft start circuits in place. However, tubes and some capacitors deteriorate with use.

You 'ritual' is rather ammusing!

I think you will find that most of us do maximum listening at 10-11 pm. I have a crazy ritual. Shut the living room windows (live on ground floor), close the living room door, move center table out of the way, drag favorite chair 1/3 way into the room, sit leaning forward staring very intently at the blank tv (so it seems to others).

God! we are all nuts. Most nights, I do look like a weiredo - now I know, atleast am not alone!

May be this has to do with my preference to listening at low to moderate volumes where the music is pure and smooth with absolute clarity your system can offer.

Not necessarily. Only high end systems can bring out full details at low to moderate volume. Low to mid end systems need to be driven at much higher volumes before they start giving out details.

"If it keeps everything on, it won't take up only 8-10 watts." My previous preamp and CDP were kept ON as intended at all times. The power consumption at Idle, measured by me was ~8W.

That's interesting. Which components were those?

Many Class A SS power amplifier manufacturers recommend that amps be turned on for 20-30 mins. to attain thermal stability. There is a definite difference in sound between a cold and warm amp. Atleast in all the Class A SS amps I have owned / heard.

Class A amp would benefit from warming, but by the time sound improves it would be time to shut it off/put it in stand by. But if you leave it on all the time, yeah you can certainly expect somewhat better results.

But there is where the next question comes. Technology is improving. And for the good. Amps of other classes, offer same/better sound reproduction capabilities, minus the hassles/inefficiencies of class A amp. Something to think about! Not just from the perspective of getting better sound, but also saving the planet.

That's interesting. Which components were those?.
Pass Labx X1 Preamp and Wadia 861 CDP.

Class A amp would benefit from warming, but by the time sound improves it would be time to shut it off/put it in stand by.
20-30 mins. would be time to shut it off???

But there is where the next question comes. Technology is improving. And for the good. Amps of other classes, offer same/better sound reproduction capabilities, minus the hassles/inefficiencies of class A amp. Something to think about! Not just from the perspective of getting better sound, but also saving the planet.

Owned 4 different amps in the last 4 years including a Class AB, Class D (monoblocks) and Class A. I personally prefer Class A. Please let me know which amps you have heard and what is your preference?

Lots of ways to save the planet.. Biggest would be to switch OFF the internet... Lots of energy saved, no? :)

"Lots of ways to save the planet.. Biggest would be to switch OFF the internet... Lots of energy saved, no? "
Yup, & the floods of tears would help raise the water table !

Pass Labx X1 Preamp and Wadia 861 CDP.

20-30 mins. would be time to shut it off???

Owned 4 different amps in the last 4 years including a Class AB, Class D (monoblocks) and Class A. I personally prefer Class A. Please let me know which amps you have heard and what is your preference?

Lots of ways to save the planet.. Biggest would be to switch OFF the internet... Lots of energy saved, no? :)

I thought we were talking about Amps here. Didn't know you think Preamps and CDPs consume same amount of electricity as power amps. AFAIK, these components consume 20-50 during full operation, so 8-10 watts in standby/idle mode isn't surprising. But I guess my point was that if Amps (as in power amps) are left on, they would consume lots more than 8-10 watts.

Anyways, I just wanted to add that I own an Airbus and prefer flying all the times. Its luxurious, saves time, saves me from pollution created by nasty low class people and has all the obvious advantages. So I use it to fly everyday between home and work. Which is barely 10 kilometers. Hey, don't tell me I could also use a car. Using a car to travel is the worst sin on Earth. Also don't tell me it consumes more fuel.

Last edited:
I own an Airbus and prefer flying all the times. Its luxurious, saves time, saves me from pollution created by nasty low class people and has all the obvious advantages. So I use it to fly everyday between home and work. Which is barely 10 kilometers. Hey, don't tell me I could also use a car. Using a car to travel is the worst sin on Earth. Also don't tell me it consumes more fuel.

You have some issues you need to work out dude.. Take a chill pill and listen to some music..! TA

You have some issues you need to work out dude.. Take a chill pill and listen to some music..! TA

DUDE, I'd rather have those enzymes injected directly in my blood. You see, the manufacturing process injects so many impurities. I cannot stand them. Dude, I am a purist. I would oversee the production of those enzymes from plant exatracts myself and will make sure than they have been produced in a factory that had insulated power supply giving pure sine wave output, running on machines that need to be constantly ON.

Why the hell should I care if medicine for 1000 other people could be produced for the same amount of resources, time, money, electricity. It my money Dude, howsoever I wish to spend it.

DUDE, I'd rather have those enzymes injected directly in my blood. You see, the manufacturing process injects so many impurities. I cannot stand them. Dude, I am a purist. I would oversee the production of those enzymes from plant exatracts myself and will make sure than they have been produced in a factory that had insulated power supply giving pure sine wave output, running on machines that need to be constantly ON.

Why the hell should I care if medicine for 1000 other people could be produced for the same amount of resources, time, money, electricity. It my money Dude, howsoever I wish to spend it.

I assume you shut your fridge off everytime you don't use it, drive a cycle to work, grow your own food, etc. etc. Do us all a favour and shutdown your computer - save some energy for the planet and us from your irrelevant posts!

I Repeat: You have some issues you need to work out dude.. Take a chill pill and listen to some music..!

I assume you shut your fridge off everytime you don't use it, drive a cycle to work, grow your own food, etc. etc. Do us all a favour and shutdown your computer - save some energy for the planet and us from your irrelevant posts!

I Repeat: You have some issues you need to work out dude.. Take a chill pill and listen to some music..!

Irrelevant post. Where people are discussing audio, suggesting to switch of Internet is relevant? Well, its as simple as this. Whatever we think is right seems right to us. So when you judge anyones post as irrelevant, just look at yourself.

Shut down my computer, lol, you are funny. You really think I'd do that? Keep your advices to yourself dude, people know how to deal with self proclaimed "awedeophile"s.

Irrelevant post. Where people are discussing audio, suggesting to switch of Internet is relevant? Well, its as simple as this. Whatever we think is right seems right to us. So when you judge anyones post as irrelevant, just look at yourself.

Shut down my computer, lol, you are funny. You really think I'd do that? Keep your advices to yourself dude, people know how to deal with self proclaimed "awedeophile"s.

Yup, Airplanes and Plant Enzymes are all related to audio.. Whatever.. I'm outta here... Going to fly my plane home and listen to some music from my warmed up equipment.. You have fun!

God see where my thread has gone!!!!!!!!!!
Both of u i think are affected by the Delhi Heat!!! Relax !!!!have a cold beer, listen to some nice music(Ranjeet pick a good recording).
Best regards.

True, a cold beer in Delhi summer = listening to a well recorded album :)
Now THAT is something I could subscribe to wholeheartedly!!!
Guys, any of you remember a great brewery, Haryana Breweries & their iconic offering, Rosy Pelican? That beer was a smash hit, just the right balance of strenght-5%-body, taste & bitterness.
But the beer of HB which ,to my mind was a hidden gem was spmething called Black Partridge-Alcohol %age-14% ! Great beer in every way & the best bargain to get high on a budget?
Which ones' are YOUR preferences?

Kamalji,
Kingfisher(the new draught is a great mild beer), Cobra are really popular in mumbai.
Since we are on this topic do u guys know that all imported beers (apart from Cobra) are sold way above MRP in mumbai!!!!! Heineken, carlsberg etc are sold officially @ 145 when the can says MRP 121/-.???

Kamalji,
Kingfisher(the new draught is a great mild beer), Cobra are really popular in mumbai.
Since we are on this topic do u guys know that all imported beers (apart from Cobra) are sold way above MRP in mumbai!!!!! Heineken, carlsberg etc are sold officially @ 145 when the can says MRP 121/-.???
Its the same in Delhi too.
Fortunately, we have some pretty good locally brewed stuff.
When I wrote abt tossing back Fosters during our Delhi Meet last Sunday, some one remarked that Fosters is hardly respected as a good beer in Australia-is that really so ? I gathered that it was virtually the national drink of the aussies.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back