Switch Off!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the same in Delhi too.
Fortunately, we have some pretty good locally brewed stuff.
When I wrote abt tossing back Fosters during our Delhi Meet last Sunday, some one remarked that Fosters is hardly respected as a good beer in Australia-is that really so ? I gathered that it was virtually the national drink of the aussies.

I feel Kingfisher Strong beats Fosters hands down, its no contest. Did you see the video on Fosters I linked to on the other forum? Cobra is a close second.

Oh Hell !!!
I have a case of Fosters lying at home.
Wish I'd known abt KF strong earlier-all I've had is the regular Kingfisher & thats so so..

Oh Hell !!!
I have a case of Fosters lying at home.
Wish I'd known abt KF strong earlier-all I've had is the regular Kingfisher & thats so so..

HAHAHA Kamalji since we are on an audio forum ill try to answer in that lingo.
The KF strong is more FULL BODIED and Crisp than the Fosters. I personally like a mild beer and hence like KF Draught but i do like cobra beer.(Hey its a Parsi brew!!!!!!!! has to be good HAHAHA). Its the valve equivalent in a beer and brewed by the LORD himself!
Regards

Last edited:
Its the same in Delhi too.
some one remarked that Fosters is hardly respected as a good beer in Australia-is that really so ? I gathered that it was virtually the national drink of the aussies.

Hi Kamal,

The adverts did position it well (as THE beer down under) and I too believed it until my VP Asia Pacific (aussie bloke) got quite embarrased about my notion when I suggested ordering it during his next quarterly trip to India soon after fosters launch...

Budweiser was launched in Mumbai few months ago...I assume it shd be avbl in Delhi too...Have you tried it?? I reckon that it is tastes better than KF.

BTW, I never imagined that I'd be writing about beer on a Monday morning...but hey, hifivision makes one do things never done before...:)

THIS IS TO INFORM THAT THIS THREAD HAS CHANGED ITS TITLE FROM "switch off " to " WHICH IS THE BEST BEER AVAILABLE AROUND..." , just kidding

Anyways , this thread is becoming more interesting , i dont get any brand except KF in my area, any nice hearted person can courier me some international brands like Buds , foster etc etc,

regards

I will be glad to be your dealer -- but in the "spirit" (pun intended) of some of our Indian dealerships I am afraid I will have to charge a near 100% markup. Oh, and not including VAT, Octroi, etc. etc. ;)

P.S. Are you in Gujarat? Which area is this?

HAHAHA Kamalji since we are on an audio forum ill try to answer in that lingo.
The KF strong is more FULL BODIED and Crisp than the Fosters. I personally like a mild beer and hence like KF Draught but i do like cobra beer.(Hey its a Parsi brew!!!!!!!! has to be good HAHAHA). Its the valve equivalent in a beer and brewed by the LORD himself!
Regards

I would say KF Strong has a better dynamic range, with excellent bass extension. Fosters thrills in the high frequencies but becomes tiresome quickly especially with a weak midrange. Transients are weak and almost completely absent in both but are not missed. Budweiser offers pretty good imaging but at its price point there are better (and local) options. However the best option seems to be a mix and match of domestic and foreign -- e.g. KF Strong (indian) with Planter's Mixed Nuts (foreign) -- for a satisfactory experience. A noted drawback is the warm... I mean cool-down time required for the product but this brings about added enjoyment.

I would say KF Strong has a better dynamic range, with excellent bass extension. Fosters thrills in the high frequencies but becomes tiresome quickly especially with a weak midrange. Transients are weak and almost completely absent in both but are not missed. Budweiser offers pretty good imaging but at its price point there are better (and local) options. However the best option seems to be a mix and match of domestic and foreign -- e.g. KF Strong (indian) with Planter's Mixed Nuts (foreign) -- for a satisfactory experience. A noted drawback is the warm... I mean cool-down time required for the product but this brings about added enjoyment.

I enjoyed reading this. Few more beer mix n' match recipes please.:D This is a great start for a monday!! Portends a great week ahead with Thursday being a holiday...Lets LABOUR on music & beer...

Last edited:

LOL pman. this one was brilliant. Missed the fun earlier ;)

Back on topic, I think unplugging is the safe option not just for the power savings but also with monsoon season not too far away, I wouldn't want my electronics on during a thunderstorm when I am out of the house. I am sure life of the electronics is also extended by giving them suitable rest.

Since all of you are chilled enough (with the respective preferred fermented beverages), time to bring back the "heat".

Life of electronics will get affected by the heat, esp considering normal Indian ambient conditions (non-air-conditioned spaces). Even under air-conditioned spaces, we take life of electronic cards that are always charged (fully) as ~ 3 years as part of planning for spares management.

Dinyaar: I had seen your similar query elsewhere, pl. never assume smooth supply of power in India. You NEED a conditioner - depending on your budget, do a market survey and finalize. You may not need a UPS. You need not spend that entire 38k on a APC UPS. Cost will come down even if you buy only the "box" of the UPS without the battery, as you don't need "back-up / safe shutdown" in the literal sense for audio. So you save on the battery cost not to mention the saving in space! Oops! may be I should not mention saving.

Kamal: Isolation transformers are not recommended for residential use. They are primarily for isolation of faults in zones. There is one danger in using isolation transformers in homes. In case of a severe short/accidental earthing, the ELCB, if installed will not trip, creating risk of damage both material & personal.

In general why waste even the ~8 watts. There are severe power shortages across the country. Do your bit (apart from the forcibly collected taxes!).

Moving your bottom, to switch-off will burn some calories too!

Haha yes Ms Jambumali we will all move our backsides and shut the mains!!!!
Thanks for ur suggestions for a conditioner. Will check out a few options here in bombay this weekend. Is there a brand u know that makes a decent one to suit my needs?
Regards

Jambumali wrote
"Kamal: Isolation transformers are not recommended for residential use. They are primarily for isolation of faults in zones. There is one danger in using isolation transformers in homes. In case of a severe short/accidental earthing, the ELCB, if installed will not trip, creating risk of damage both material & personal."

Hi Jambumali,
Methinks there is some confusion here between Ground-fault interrupts & Isolation Transformers.
As you may be aware,an Isolation transformer is a 1:1 device which separates the mains wiring from the equipment power wiring. The input and output windings are separate, so incoming noise is eliminated. Since the windings are on the same transformer core, there is very good transfer of energy from input to output. A short on the output will immediately draw large instantaneous current from the input, blowing a fuse, or tripping the main LCB. You are protected.

A short on the output will immediately draw large instantaneous current from the input, blowing a fuse, or tripping the main LCB. You are protected.

You are right.. In fact I discussed this with someone displaying Isolation transformers at an exhibition at Pragati Maidan. He was off the opinion that an UIT offers ultimate protection from AC noise and surges and many people in Delhi were using them at home coupled with Servo stabilizers for the whole house, but had no clue about it's advantages/disadvantages in an audio application. :)

You are right.. In fact I discussed this with someone displaying Isolation transformers at an exhibition at Pragati Maidan. He was off the opinion that an UIT offers ultimate protection from AC noise and surges and many people in Delhi were using them at home coupled with Servo stabilizers for the whole house, but had no clue about it's advantages/disadvantages in an audio application. :)
Maybe because he was'nt an audiophile & therefore did'nt know how noise in the AC line can affect music reproduction.
He also could'nt have been a true blue marketing man else he would have known more about other applications for his product!
Anyway, I do know for a fact that many audiophiles use IT's to combat noise since its a very cost effective solution; e.g. in Delhi you get a very excellent quality IT of 1.0 KVA ratingwith a balanced ouput winding for just Rs 4000/- whereas an AC regenerator while being a better option costs many times more

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back