Tactile transducers (bass shakers)

scifikiran

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. So please bear with my mistakes, if any, and please do correct me. I am willing to learn.

Anyway, I live in Chennai. I was wondering if any of you'll are using tactile transducers (alias, bass shakers). Tactile transducers are like silent subwoofers. They vibrate during the occurrence of low frequency signals (like explosions in a movie or the kick drum in music) and are placed directly under the seating, so that we don't just hear the bass, but also feel it.

Please do let me know if they are worth buying, and also where to buy it from.
Thanks in advance. :)

Try Torvin in Chennai to check if they still deal in Butt-Kickers. I had a demo there ~9 years ago.

Fellow Member smedhavi has installed Bass-Shakers in his HT. Try PM-ing him as he is not very active these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyway, I live in Chennai. I was wondering if any of you'll are using tactile transducers (alias, bass shakers). Tactile transducers are like silent subwoofers.

Tactile transducers are better at SUPPLEMENTING the subwoofer than REPLACING them.

In the early 90s I experimented with Aura Bass Shakers when I used them under the rear seat (sandwiched between the rear seat and a sheet of rubber on the seat's metal base). Without a real subwoofer the vibrations did not feel real but with a nicely tuned 10" in the rear deck the bass shakers gave an added dimension to the bass (but not any definition) on dance and pop music. For more delicate music they were less effective.

@navin advani:
Thank you for your reply. Yes, i do plan on supplementing my 12" subwoofer rather than replacing it. Actually, there are a few acoustic problems in my HT room and that's why i really don't feel the bass rumbling as it did at the demo room where i checked out the speakers before buying them. But acoustic correction is very expensive, I heard. May I ask how much it costed for the Aura Bass Shakers?

+1 to what Navin has said. The tactile transducer helps enhance the movie watching experience but no so much with Stereo listening.

Though these have been marketed as neighbour-friendly subwoofers, they are not a replacement to a subwoofer. But IMO one can do with a less powerful sub if a tactile transducer is added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bass shakers do have their place in Home theater use if implemented correctly. We all know that output below 20 hz is felt, not heard. Now, not many subs can go below 20. If we use a crossover (using standalone DSP etc) and let the shaker play only below 20 Hz frequencies, then that's the best of both the worlds. Let everything above 20 be handled by a sub, less than 20 by shakers. And you got that visceral low frequency output. :)

scifikiran;361050 Actually said:
You need to install the bass shakers in the seat of your sofas for best effect.

What I did was in 1993. I barely remember what I ate for dinner last night. I wont remember the cost. Besides in those days I used to get speakers at OEM prices (I only visited India). I used the shakers with a Pioneer amp in my mom's Zen.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back