TAGA Platinum upgrade suggestions for Yamaha YHT 1840

Sathyapriyan

Dear All,

Technically my first post in the forum,while I have been reading or should I say learning from the forum for past one year,Hence I would
like to thank our forum members first, who spend their valuable time and patiently reply to all the queries posted and share their knowledge.

Now below is my current requirement and request your suggestions and help as usual,

I currently own a Yamaha YHT 1840, which I have been using for the past one year , the satellites which came with HTIB are average, they
sound ok for movies but very bad for music, also the passive sub doesnt pack a punch, hence currently am looking for upgrade and would like to upgrade the
fronts and centre first. My room is small, less than 100 Sqft and use my PC for media consumption and same is connected to the AVR (HTR-2071). My usage of
home theatre is equal i.e 50:50 for movies and music.

I was on the lookout for speakers online, I was looking into Boston acoustics and the Taga platinum series, however recently I've learnt
that the Bostons acoustics have been discontinued, Hence now into the Taga Platinum series.

Fronts :

For Fronts I was looking at the following - Taga platinum S40 or S90 SL or platinum one.

Taga platinum S40 and S90 SL both have same Mid/Bass drivers (5.25 inches), while the former is ported,latter is sealed and S40 has
bi wiring/bi amping features and of course a big enclosure to house the port. Now S40 is available at 17.5K in hifimart, where as S90 SL could be found for as low as 12K in amazon which means 5K difference in price. Now Friends, please let me know, if its wise to go with S90 SL or pay
5k more for the ported S40 speakers. Apart from Bass, what would be the major performance difference
between those two and if any one who currently owns these two or have experienced both of them, kindly share in your inputs.

Also platinum one has a special mention in the Taga product literature, its the same size of S90 SL albeit with a port at the rear
and 4 inch driver and same is also available at 12K

Kindly suggest which of the three would be best suited for the fronts. Also most importantly will the HTR-2071 which is an entry level
receiver, capable of driving these speakers

Center :

For Timbre matched center looking at either Taga Platinum C40 PR orTaga Platinum C-100, will the C-100 be an overkill for a small room
with its 4 Mid/Bass drivers

I will add Active Sub woofer after few months, However if anyone using Yamaha YS SW050, pls share your experience, will the 8 inch sub
suffice to cover 80 Sq ft listening area and does it really go as low as 28 Hz with the 8 inch driver,as the Yamaha specs claim.

Thanks in Advance

For Fronts I was looking at the following - Taga platinum S40 or S90 SL or platinum one.

S90 SL is wall mountable, while the other two dont have that provision..

Friends, please let me know, if its wise to go with S90 SL or pay 5k more for the ported S40 speakers. Apart from Bass, what would be the major performance difference betweenthose two

I recently acquired S90 SL from a member and use it with a small amp on my desktop for nearfield listening.. I like them very much..

since the speaker is a sealed one, it feels as if there is no bass in the speaker..If you will upgrade your sub later, than you can settle for S 90 SL..

For Timbre matched center looking at either Taga Platinum C40 PR orTaga Platinum C-100, will the C-100 be an overkill for a small room
with its 4 Mid/Bass drivers

Again due to compact room dimensions, if wall mounting is good, then choose a model based on that.. C90 is an other option too..

will the 8 inch sub
suffice to cover 80 Sq ft listening area and does it really go as low as 28 Hz with the 8 inch driver,as the Yamaha specs claim.

There is no correct way of judging a subwoofer response in a room other than using a microhpone.. Being a HTIB sub, we can safely assume it can't do that far..

Thanks @elangoas for the update,
Mine is also near field listening for time being, I sit just couple of feet away from my PC.
I am thinking of going with S40s itself and run them as large speakers and let go off the passive subwoofer,
Can these bookshelves be used for near field listening or are they meant to be listened from a distance for better sound?

Thanks @elangoas for the update,
Mine is also near field listening for time being, I sit just couple of feet away from my PC.
I am thinking of going with S40s itself and run them as large speakers and let go off the passive subwoofer,

S40 may be huge for desktop use.. Please check dimensions of the speaker S40/S90 SL/Platinum one..

Where would you keep the L/R & center speaker? On the computer table ?..

Can these bookshelves be used for near field listening or are they meant to be listened from a distance for better sound?

I think yes.. Have been using the S90 SL like this and just fine..

S40 may be huge for desktop use.. Please check dimensions of the speaker S40/S90 SL/Platinum one.. Where would you keep the L/R & center speaker? On the computer table ?..

I think yes.. Have been using the S90 SL like this and just fine..

No the desktop table is small, it will not fit L/R speakers, but it can hold centre. For fronts, I was looking at the low priced stands for now, below is the one I could find for 2.3k in amazon,

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07F3X2XTM - max adjustable upto 15 cm X 37 cm

Below are the Dimensions (H x W x D) of tagas,

S40 - 35 x 23 x 24.2 cm - 5.5 kg per speaker

S90SL - 26 x 17 x 15 cm - 3.3 kg per speaker

Platinum One - 23 x 14.5 x 21.4 cm - 4kg per speaker

For fronts, I was looking at the low priced stands for now, below is the one I could find for 2.3k in amazon,

Ok.. You can opt for Portable TV mount stand from Mercy electronics.. Abt Rs 450 per stand(jenefas), can be wall mounted and option to tilt the speakers horizontally.. You can comfortably place the BS on the stand on either sides of the computer table..

Below is a image of the stand..

0PkIStg.jpg

Thanks @elangoas , I was not aware of jenefas before, Currently wall mount is not possible as the room set up is temporary only. However it looks like Jenefas do have a floor mount speaker stand as well, but not much info online on the dimensions and the quality. I will have to check them out directly in Ritchie street , over the weekend

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back