Tamil Movie Audio CDs - AR Rahman

apk

Folks,

I recently came across some really good tamil movie music by A R Rahman. I actually found these to be much better than some of his more recent Hindi music. I heard songs from the movie 'Kadal' and 'Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa' (the song Aaromale from this movie was especially good, though the music did sound similiar to Eric Clapton's one day!)

So I need some help from folks familiar with A R Rahman's tamil movie music - please recommend some contemporary tamil movie music by the maestro. Something along the same lines as 'Kadal' and 'Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa'. If you can also point me towards some website where this music is available for purchase (I am interested in audio CDs only, and not mp3 downloads), that would also be very helpful.

Thanks,
APK.

P.S - Is it only me, or do you guys also feel that his tamil movie music is much better than what he has done in Hindi movies (which by itself is quite amazing)

1. Duet.
2. May Madham.
3. Thiruda Thirudi (Esp Rasathi)
4. Roja.
5. kadhal desam
6. Iruvar ( Narumugaiye I can die for this Song heard it thousands of time)

Thanks Raghu. Appreciate your response.

In fact, I have heard most of the above - I used to listen to the older A R Rahman tamil songs when I was studying in South India (Kerala). I lost touch with tamil movie songs once I moved out of South India in the early 2000's.

I am looking for the more recent A R Rahman tamil movie music (say after 2005). Appreciate your inputs on this.

Thanks,
APK

Folks,

I recently came across some really good tamil movie music by A R Rahman. I actually found these to be much better than some of his more recent Hindi music. I heard songs from the movie 'Kadal' and 'Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa' (the song Aaromale from this movie was especially good, though the music did sound similiar to Eric Clapton's one day!)

So I need some help from folks familiar with A R Rahman's tamil movie music - please recommend some contemporary tamil movie music by the maestro. Something along the same lines as 'Kadal' and 'Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa'. If you can also point me towards some website where this music is available for purchase (I am interested in audio CDs only, and not mp3 downloads), that would also be very helpful.

Thanks,
APK.

P.S - Is it only me, or do you guys also feel that his tamil movie music is much better than what he has done in Hindi movies (which by itself is quite amazing)

I am absolutely with you on this. Can't agree more. For some reason the original Tamil versions sound very well recorded and the hindi ones are louder and a lot less dynamic. A very good (bad?) example is Lakeer (hindi) and Rhythm (Tamil) I have both the disks and the difference is day and night. Same goes for Roja, Thiruda Thiruda (Chor Chor), Robot (Ethiran).

Though I know nothing of Tamil I still prefer listening to the Tamil versions of all these just for the quality of the content.

Last edited:
I am absolutely with you on this. Can't agree more. For some reason the original Tamil versions sound very well recorded and the hindi ones are louder and a lot less dynamic. A very good (bad?) example is Lakeer (hindi) and Rhythm (Tamil) I have both the disks and the difference is day and night. Same goes for Roja, Thiruda Thiruda (Chor Chor), Robot (Ethiran).

Though I know nothing of Tamil I still prefer listening to the Tamil versions of all these just for the quality of the content.

Yup...very true. When the movie 'Bombay' was released, I bought the Hindi cassette with my pocket money, and my younger brother got the Tamil version with his. After comparing both back to back a few times, I realised that my money should have been better spent on the tamil version!

Any recent tamil music by AR Rahman that has caught your fancy?

Best,
APK

Any recent tamil music by AR Rahman that has caught your fancy?

Best,
APK

Kadhal, Vinnaithandi you already mentioned, Sillunu Oru Kadhal is brilliant, Enthiran may not be for everyone, same goes for Raavanan. Puli (Telugu) is also nice.

PS: Totally off topic but do not forget to listen to the 127 Hours soundtrack. "Touch of the sun" is my favorite test track these days.

Folks,

Thanks,
APK.

Some of his best music....

Pudhu Vellai Mazhai- Album Roja,Year 1992

Kadhalikum Pennin- Album Kadhalan,Year 1994,

Vennilavae Vennilavae Album Minsara Kanavu ,Year 1997

Kaadu Potta Kaadu- Album Karuththama,Year 1994

Minnalae nee vanthathenadi- Album May Madham,Year 1994

Pachchai Nirame- Album Alaipayuthey,Year 2000

Romeo Aatam Potal- Album Mr.Romeo,Year 1996

Yaakai Thiri- Album Aayutha Ezhuthu ,Year 2004

Munbe Vaa- Album Sillunu Oru Kaadhal ,Year 2006

Hosanna- Album Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa,Year 2010

all songs from the movie `en swasa katre `

kangalil enna eerama - uzhavan(movie)

thenkizhakku cheemaiyila - thenkizhakku cheemaiyila

porale ponnu thayee (sad song) - karuthamma

nila kaigirathu(hari haran) - indira

are some of his melody best

Evano Oruvan - Alai payuthe
Pachai Nirame - Alai payuthe
Enna solla poghiray - Kandu Kondaen kandu Kondaen
Enkae enathu kavithay - Kandu Kondaen kandu Kondaen
Nenjae Nenje - Ratchagan

I would recommend ARR's Theme musics collection for music lovers.

Bombay
Ratchagan
Muthu
Padayappa

will update more.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am definitely getting a good list of songs and movies to check out. Thanks to youtube and other websites, I can even hear these recommendations before deciding to purchase them.

Any reliable websites from where I can purchase audio CDs of some of the recommended movies?

Keep the inputs coming.....

Thanks,
APK

I would recommend ARR's Theme musics collection for music lovers.

Bombay
Ratchagan
Muthu
Padayappa

will update more.

After reading your recommendation, I googled and found the theme music collection on raaga.com. Do you know if these are available in CD form anywhere?

Thanks,
APK

I am still looking for the Audio CD's of:
1. Kadhalan
2. Thiruda-2
3. Puthiya Mugham
Any luck?

I ordered these from 600024.com recently and got them delivered on 3rd day. Good service I would say.

songs_zps95853ec9.jpg

But items # 5 and 7 were not in stock. So they dropped them and shipped the rest. ARR collection (Sony Music) was not as good as expected. Noise floor is high and lacks airiness. SQ of rest of the CDs are fairly good.

Some of the CDs are tagged as Audio CD but the display picture shows mp3 in 600024.com.

I am looking for more of old ARR songs and good quality Raja songs. I will subscribe to this thread and would appreciate all pointers.

Thanks for the inputs. Seems like 600024.com is one of the places where Tamil music CDs can be bought online. Any other pointers?

Thanks,
APK

Some of his best music....
Kadhalikum Pennin- Album Kadhalan,Year 1994,

All the songs of Kadhalan are phenomenal, its simply amazing to find the different geners of songs this album has, form semi classical to balled, reggae, pop, rap, techno OMG what an album it was, its a legendary milestone.

I became fan of SPB Pallavi, instantly after listening to Kadhalikkum Pennikaikal, it was saddening to read that she settled in US and stopped singing (recording).

My personal favorites from this album are:
1. Indiraiyo Ival Sundariyo - The overlapping voices of Sunandha, Minmini and Kalyani flow like a breeze - outstanding.
2. Kaatru Kuthirayile - Sujatha needs no introduction, look at the range she has got (this is just a glimpse of it)

Hats off to the Maestro - ARR.

Regards, sann'

All the songs of Kadhalan are phenomenal, its simply amazing to find the different geners of songs this album has, form semi classical to balled, reggae, pop, rap, techno OMG what an album it was, its a legendary milestone.

Yes.....truly agree to that. Not to forget, the music complimented the phenomenal dancing of Prabhudeva. Saw some videos of his dancing in this movie after more than 10 years, and what can I say, he really is great in this movie.

Best,
APK

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back