Tannoy Mercury V4i + Yamaha A-S500

amit11

Hi Friends,

After auditioning few speakers and amplifiers, I was thinking to go for the below
combination of floor standing speakers and stereo amplifier

1. Tannoy Mercury V4i (Floor standing speakers)
Note: This is the "i" model, and not the discontinued V4 (without i)
2. Yamaha A-S500

Any thoughts or ideas on this would be helpful. Thanks.

Regards,
Amit Mittal.

Hi Amit, I had auditioned v4i with yamaha 673, and experience was quite good.
Presuming same sound signature of yamaha, your combination must also sound gr8..
FM who have exact combination will guide better!!!
Regards,

Hi Friends,

After auditioning few speakers and amplifiers, I was thinking to go for the below
combination of floor standing speakers and stereo amplifier

1. Tannoy Mercury V4i (Floor standing speakers)
Note: This is the "i" model, and not the discontinued V4 (without i)
2. Yamaha A-S500

Any thoughts or ideas on this would be helpful. Thanks.

Regards,
Amit Mittal.

Hi Amit,

Tannoys are great speakers and they need somewhat powerful amp to exploit their full potential. Try in the same price bracket for marantz/rotel/ or higher models of yamaha if budget permits. If you are ready to spend 80-90K on amp then there is an amp in sale section NAIM-XS. very good amp and it will be a best compliment to Tannoy.
anyway what is your source? then only you can get the overall pictures for all the components.

Cheers

Dheeraj

Hi Friends,

Any further inputs or opinion please... Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Amit.

Last edited:
Hi,

In fact I am also inching towards Tannoy Mercury V4i. From my audition I can say that its sound was quite good, detailed, with no harshness whatsoever.

Other option which is coming quite close to Mercury V4i in my list & through my auditions was DALI Zensor 7. You can also try to audition it and judge yourself.

What is the price being quoted to you for Mercury V4i towers ?

Amp in my case is Marantz.

Thanks

Hi astrixgaul,

The price quoted was around 48K. I had auditioned via Yamaha and Marantz amplifier. (During auditioning, Marantz was not burned-in, so sound was not that good and open as yamaha. I may be wrong but just discounting a possibility ).

Regards,
Amit.

Hi astrixgaul,

How much is being quoted to you fou Mercury V4i?

Regards,
Amit.

I was also quoted 48k with the rider "will reduce it more, the day you come to buy with cash in hand !"
You can expect 5 to 10% reduction.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413304174.811505.jpg

Hi Friends,

My new music system finally arrived :)

Tannoy V4i + Yamaha A S500

My first hifi ....

Regards,
Amit.

How is the sound Amit? Yamaha as I found has lots of energy and is a lively amplifier, they pair well with a little laid back speakers. AS-500 is capable of producing good sound stage I found from my auditions, with the right speakers it can sound beautifully open, airy and detailed, but a bright speaker does bring harshness.
Were you able to hear the Yamaha with Dali Zensor series, I have been looking forward to that combination but have not been able to find it being offered for auditions.
Either way do post your opinion and impressions on your new acquisitions.

@shibashis

As you rightly mentioned, it sounds beautiful. Open, airy and detailed. Midrange for female vocals is also what i particularly liked. It feels as if Lataji is singing in front of me.

Yamaha has an impression of being bright but gels well with Tannoy. In auditions I liked Tannoy for their midrange clarity and tonal balance compared to other speakers. Yes, some may find and feel that bass is slightly missing when listening to Yamaha, however i would say it is not like that exactly. It is neutral and provides just the right bass when it is present in the source. So if we listen to some old hindi songs then we may feel less bass, however no such thing for RD Burman songs or for the later era.

Yamaha also has in impression of sounding laidback, which i would agree. However that only adds to sense of naturalness and clarity, possibly bcos it tries to remain neutral to the source. However that being said, in many songs it also makes you start footing your tap and in no way sounds laidback.

I dont think i have songs/recordings with wide soundstage and also i currently listen connecting via ipod headphone out. Still the clarity is amazing and we have the emotional connect. It has an impression of sounding clinical / sterile but i dont find it such. In few songs having some soundstage, yes i was able to feel that and image delineation is also remarkable.

Yes, i had auditioned Yamaha + Dali at Soundfactor. The combo did not appeal to me. Dali gels better with warm amplifier like Denon/Marantz. However it is a matter of our preference. What I had liked best about Tannoys is their midrange presence and tonal balance. The very first three seconds listening to it for first time i found it enchanting and extremely natural. As you mentioned about bright speakers, yes Yamaha will not gel with bright speakers e.g. Klipsch, which would cause ear fatigue.

I would say i feel delight with this setup.

Hi Amit,

Its nice to see that you are enjoying. As others suggested, add one rug and heavy curtains for window behind.
I hope you will decide about the source as early as possible.

Cheers

@mpw, dheeraj

Yes agree. Before taking the photo i had cleared out some view. On the right side is some furniture (not seen in the snap) and i have also a mattress on floor (not in the snap as i had moved the mattress out of sight).

Some more rugs/matress/pillow i had experimented on various places (pillows in corner flooring, kind of soft mattresses standing on side walls, back walls and also opposite walls, additional mattress on floor) and had noticed difference. Will have to find some option and explore further what to put and exactly where to put on walls and corners as a kind of permanent fix and not stretching budget.

Regarding the source i am still thinking next future options. Good Cdp / ipod with digital extraction dac like pure i20 + schiit / some digital player with dac like schiit / apple tv with schiit etc. btw i have the apple tv with optical out, but dont have dac. I know i dont have high resolution music but I am less inclined towards cds as i dont have one and building a collection would be a daunting task. Vinyl ...may be in near future. Just my thoughts...

Thanks Amit for writing these and congrats on the setup.

I'm also searching for a good pair of speakers for my YAMAHA AS 500 too.
Glad to know it's a good match for the 500.

I like slightly bright sound and I'm gonna try the Monitor Audio BX6 and B&W 683 S2.

Thanks Amit for writing these and congrats on the setup.

I'm also searching for a good pair of speakers for my YAMAHA AS 500 too.
Glad to know it's a good match for the 500.

I like slightly bright sound and I'm gonna try the Monitor Audio BX6 and B&W 683 S2.

View attachment 16111

Hi Friends,

My new music system finally arrived :)

Tannoy V4i + Yamaha A S500

My first hifi ....

Regards,
Amit.

Hiii

I am alos planning to buy tannoy hts
But stuck btw hts201 n mercury v4i with denon 1200 avr with a price of 125000 amd 150000 respectively

Confused which to take
Plz any help if possibl have last monday to decide
Plz help

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back