tata sky+ HD + Denon 1910 + no control of volume in hd channel

arcmax

I seem to be having a very odd problem right from the time I have connected my tat sky hd+ box to my denon receiver.

The volume of the hd channels cannot be controlled using the tat sky remote. I am using hdmi cable to connect the box to the receiver and receiver to the tv.

Called the tata sky people they sent a technician ver and even he couldnt figure out why. I have the setting in the hdmi sound (tat sky user menu) to dolby digital ...any one know what is happening please enlighten..

have requested firmware upgrade from tata sky but they dont seem to know what that means.

thanks
apurva M

just a add on to the message - a friend of mine has the tat sky hd + dennon 1911 5.1 speakers and volume for hd channel is being controlled.

my speaker setup is 5.0 could that be an issue ?

Speakers' setup cannot be the issue. I have similar setup - Denon 1910 with TataSky HD (not +). With my Harmony remote, I can configure which device the Volume control works on (AVR or STB) - I have left this to control the AVR. I have set the HDMI control to OFF.

But using the separate remotes, I can control the indiviual devices volumes. So using the TS remote, I can change volume of STB.

Hi , I also have TS HD+ connected to my Onkyo 3010. When I keep the sound settings to Dolby Digital I cannot control the vol. from TS remote( HD channels only) however if the setting is changed to pcm in the TS than you can control the vol. from Ts remote. but I think you will lose the DD signal following this method. You may have to use ProLogic settings to get surround effects.so IMHO you should control the vol. through the receivers remote, as i do, so that the surround effects remain to pure DD.
rgds
avr

Dear Arcmax,
You can always use the supplied TV remote to control the TV volume.
and the AVR remote to control the Home theater.
It does not seem to be a problem and maybe good for the AVR because it recieves a constant signal rather than the varied output of a Volume control. So it seems safer and does not seem to be much of a problem to me. I have the same " problem " and I am used to it.
BTW, have you tried connecting to AVR from TV via Toslink (optical) output?
Cheers,
Subcenter2009

Last edited:
Dear Arcmax,
You can always use the supplied TV remote to control the TV volume.
Mods, this is a duplicate.
Please delete it.. I don't know how.

Last edited:
I am also encountering same issue for HD channels on Tata Sky HD (not +). My connection is via SPDIF Coax cable from Tata sky STB to AVR and I am unable to control the volume from HD STB for HD channels as it outputs Dolby digital. For normal SD channels it outputs stereo sound and I am able to control the volume from STB remote.
one more issue with STB volume is I see it increase for the first 2/3 levels and then it does not increase even if I put it to full volume level - this issue is with or without the AVR connection. Then I need to control the TV volume if I need to increase further.

Another issue I am facing is delay in audio or difference in audio timing between TV and AVR, tried adjusting the SPDIF delay setting in tata sky STB but could not get the correct sync. So I need to mute the TV volume when AVR is switched on.

Are these issues known and expected behavior? Its annoying to use 2 or 3 remotes.

I am facing the same problem. My STB is connected to the AVR by coaxial digital. I can control the STB volume when SD channels are on. When watching HD with DD, I cant control volume thru' the STB remote. I need to change volume on AVR.

Hello all, thanks for all your comments.

the whole point is to control the volume through the ts remote... becuase each hd channel has its own sound setting some too high and some too low... and its a b**** to keep switching between the avr and ts remote every time...

if i go the pcm route i only get stereo no use there.

i have seen the the volunme being controlled by the ts remote on hd channels which is why i posted, i always thought it was not possible till i saw it being controlled.

also do not get DD 7.1 option on my ts... i think sicne mine was one of the first few stb to come across (i was an early adopter) i think the firmware has not been updated for the older stb tshd+ .... because i get wifi option and have put a wifi modem to the usb and nothing happens.. i am sure this is an issue with ts firmware ....

Hello all, thanks for all your comments.

the whole point is to control the volume through the ts remote... becuase each hd channel has its own sound setting some too high and some too low... and its a b**** to keep switching between the avr and ts remote every time...

if i go the pcm route i only get stereo no use there.

i have seen the the volunme being controlled by the ts remote on hd channels which is why i posted, i always thought it was not possible till i saw it being controlled.

also do not get DD 7.1 option on my ts... i think sicne mine was one of the first few stb to come across (i was an early adopter) i think the firmware has not been updated for the older stb tshd+ .... because i get wifi option and have put a wifi modem to the usb and nothing happens.. i am sure this is an issue with ts firmware ....

Why dont you try to update your firmware manually. Try this thread http://www.hifivision.com/digital-cable-dth/43623-tatasky-software-update.html

if u change audio output setting on TS to hdmi, u will get 5.1 DD output, but wont be able to control volume thr ts remote in hd channels only, sd channels can be controlled thr ts remote.
if u make it spdif, then u can controll vol thr ts remote, but 5,1 dd will be lost and u will be switched to prologic, psuedo dolby. no matter with whatever u connect ur ts hd to avr, hdmi or optical....
i have tried lot of combinations. also with spdif out u will get louder vol as compared to hdmi...

Sorry dont mean to hijack the original thread, but since this has come up,

I do not have HDMI on my AVR, so I have no choice but to connect through SPDIF, tried both optical and Coax, but I just dont seem to get the 5.1 working though the AVR shows 5 channel indication. The rear speakers are always dead.

What could be the tech reason for this.

also do not get DD 7.1 option on my ts... i think sicne mine was one of the first few stb to come across (i was an early adopter)

No channel is currently offered by any service provider in 7.1.

5.1 is the max one can get.

For ur original question, yes even I have faced the same. I cannot control sound of HD channels via STB if connected to AVR via HDMI. That's why I use universal remote control as someone already mentioned- It has been programmed so that it controls channels from STB but volume from AVR. That's the best Solution.

When I feed digital signal from my Airtel HD. box to AVR I can not control volume from HD box.

This is normal as digital signal level can not be changed.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back