Tata Sky - new STB with component out & MPEG4

sandeepmohan

Hi Folks...I find this very strange as TATA Sky have not mentioned anything on their website. Had visited a friend who bought a new Onida Xaria 32 HD Ready TV. TATA Sky was the obvious choice for the DTH connection but what surprised me was the all new set top box. It looks the same as the old one but black in color. Its not just a cosmetic upgrade. TATA Sky fans will be more thrilled to know that the new set top features Component Video Out & MPEG4. There is a USB port too at the rear but I did not get a chance to figure out its use. The Digi Card is now at the rear. The remote has been down sized but design & layout are the same. Software looks the same too though there is a little delay in response which is a little annoying. I did not try component video as my friend did not have a spare RCA Interconnect for the Audio.

re: Tata Sky - new STB with component out & MPEG4

Hi sandeep,

Are you sure what you have seen is not the Tatasky plus box? I enquired with Tataksy helpline and hey have no info about set top box upgrade for the basic Tatasky.

cheers,
sri

It is not a Sky Plus box. The design for Sky Plus is totally different. This set top box is the regular one that retails for Rs. 1500 but my friend paid Rs. 1600.

Besides; Sky Plus is transmitted in MPEG2. This one had MPEG4 printed on the set top box face plate.

I am absolutely sure of what I saw. The amount spent is another supporting factor.

well yes tata sky has launched a new STB which is MPEG4 capable and has a component out ,its also DVB-S2 ready.
do note tata sky transmission is still in mpeg2,but this being a mpeg4 stb can also accept MPEG2.in the future all DTH providers will eventualy shift to mpeg4.currently dish tv,tata sky and DD are the only ones still using older MPEG 2 transmission.

Last edited:

With component out, it's kind of attractive.

They should offer an exchange scheme for existing customers.

I called the engineer who did the install at my friends place. He said that this was the new lot of set top boxes they received. There is no exchange which is sad. He also said that it is MPEG4 but thats probably a big fat lie. The box supports it but there is no feed.

well yes tata sky has launched a new STB which is MPEG4 capable and has a component out ,its also DVB-S2 ready.

new Videocon D2H service has similar technology with inbuilt DVDp too.

new Videocon D2H service has similar technology with inbuilt DVDp too.

well yes,but the first ompany to have DVB-S2 STB was airtel,so is their transmission,apart from them SUN HD DTH STB are DVB-S2.

but i think TS still has the potential,since they have the highest number of transponders 40 to 50% higher then other DTH providers,so once they shift to MPEG4 they can give more channels or same channels with better quality or even add a few HD channels.

Hiya,
Can you tell me from where did he source this new STB. Is the box any different from the existing STB's box. I was planning to go for TS+ just for the sake of Component out. If they have it on regular STB of TS, then I would go for this and save some Rs.Rs.Rs :yahoo:

Hi Folks...I find this very strange as TATA Sky have not mentioned anything on their website. Had visited a friend who bought a new Onida Xaria 32 HD Ready TV. TATA Sky was the obvious choice for the DTH connection but what surprised me was the all new set top box. It looks the same as the old one but black in color. Its not just a cosmetic upgrade. TATA Sky fans will be more thrilled to know that the new set top features Component Video Out & MPEG4. There is a USB port too at the rear but I did not get a chance to figure out its use. The Digi Card is now at the rear. The remote has been down sized but design & layout are the same. Software looks the same too though there is a little delay in response which is a little annoying. I did not try component video as my friend did not have a spare RCA Interconnect for the Audio.

well, i have a tata sky plus, and i've hooked it up with component cables (the supplied ones), and it looks no better than my old tata sky did. The same compressed looking picture.

I love the functionality though (mainly the scheduling+recording), and would gladly pay 5k just for that. I've actually managed to catch a few movies and some TV shows by scheduling them for recording.

so...u wont recommend buying new ts stb just for the sake of component...?..component dosent make difference to pq??

well, i have a tata sky plus, and i've hooked it up with component cables (the supplied ones), and it looks no better than my old tata sky did. The same compressed looking picture.

I love the functionality though (mainly the scheduling+recording), and would gladly pay 5k just for that. I've actually managed to catch a few movies and some TV shows by scheduling them for recording.

Hmm, Interesting.
I do notice some compression artifacts in channels like Zee Cinema (or Zee channels in general). Im pretty sure that they wont go away (TS is Star afterall). I mainly wanted component because of the pretty nasty artifacts the composite brings about.

BTW, the currently we have TS with old stb hooked to a 21inch Samsung tv. Planning to source the black STB for my shiny new LG 42PQ60R :)

All cable signals are heavily compressed as otherwise you wont be able to get 100s of channels to your homes. Sometimes I get a disconnect with audio and video when I observe closely. I do however love the recording feature as well as I can now watch programs at my time and also skip unwanted junk that is shown during the programming.

I do however love the recording feature as well as I can now watch programs at my time and also skip unwanted junk that is shown during the programming.

Cant agree with you more. Thats the USP of TS+...you watch programs as per your convience. And with price tag of 5k it is really a good deal.
I bought one myself last week and recording favourite programs and those showcase movies.....this is so fun !!
Also, Componenet out does make difference but only when you observe from close (on LCD/Plasma). But beyond 5 feets it does not make much difference, specially with all DTH channles broadcast 420p or max 573i resolution.

HI,

What about the audio thro' TS+ optical or coaxial out? Is there any improvement thro an AVR than the analogue IC of basic TS?

cheers,
sri

i am trying really hard to make out this difference that people are talking about......and i just can't, and i can make out differences in image quality generally.....so i honestly don't think anyone should invest in this box just for image quality......the scheduling feature though is worth every paisa of the 5000 bucks.

Cant agree with you more. Thats the USP of TS+...you watch programs as per your convience. And with price tag of 5k it is really a good deal.
I bought one myself last week and recording favourite programs and those showcase movies.....this is so fun !!
Also, Componenet out does make difference but only when you observe from close (on LCD/Plasma). But beyond 5 feets it does not make much difference, specially with all DTH channles broadcast 420p or max 573i resolution.

i am trying really hard to make out this difference that people are talking about......and i just can't, and i can make out differences in image quality generally.....so i honestly don't think anyone should invest in this box just for image quality......the scheduling feature though is worth every paisa of the 5000 bucks.

well if u do want to see imrpoved PQ check out BIG tv all their STBs have component out and the transmission is also of better quality.

Last edited:
For Bangalore members please contact Mr. Brijesh @97 40 97 72 21. He is the Sky engineer who did the installation at my friends place with the new box. The box has a USB terminal too but its only for the enginneers.

For Bangalore members please contact Mr. Brijesh @97 40 97 72 21. He is the Sky engineer who did the installation at my friends place with the new box. The box has a USB terminal too but its only for the enginneers.

Similar port is on Samy LCD too for SW upgrade(earlier RS232).

Similar port is on Samy LCD too for SW upgrade(earlier RS232).

the USB port is nowdays in pretty much every STB from BIG tv,airtel digital tv/IP TV etc currently the exact reason for the USB ports are unknown.

but in big tv when it was in beta stage,when ever u try to reset and manualy download the software,it use to give a caution saying that all data connected to the DVR will be lost.so my guess is that it could be for connecting a DVR in big tvs case.

Back