Tata Sky Plus and HD

If the only new option from Tatasky for HD is with recorder (inr 8k range) then they are pushing a MASSIVE amount of consumers to the competition.

The average Joe doesnt understand head or tail of HD, upscale, 1080i etc and will just want any HD package to complement their new 'HD' tv.

The Indian market is not mature enough to venture into a niche such as HD-R as the only product. Sure a small handful of enthusiasts will take the plunge but thats it.

Anyway, lets wait and watch, hope they have some great things lined up!

Got the First Tata Sky PLUS HD (VIPs Only as 20 STBs have come into Mumbai today ie 11th feb)
Hello Everyone ,

I Got the First Tata Sky Plus HD. Only VIPs have got the first few STBs in Mumbai.
Tata syk technicial told me only 20 STBs have come into Mumbai today ie 11th feb. All have gone to VVIPs , ministers etc near Nepeansea Rd ie CM bungalow. Well I live opposite him and have a few connections!! Haha

Anyway I am posting pictures for you guys to enjoy and drool. The STB looks tooooo good..its Patent black shiny and much smaller in width than tata sky plus.

Everything works well....have plugged into my Denon AVR 2310. Worked right out of the box. Technician told me though that you have to use optical as the sound source to get 7.1 as via HDMI you will not get best sound results. No issue as I have to assign my input on my AVR and do the same. If you use both HDMI and plug in the Optical sound will come from Optical and not work in HDMI. I had to power down entire system and then remove optical and then use HDMI sound for now. Assigning optical will take me around 2 Hours as I have to read through the manual.

PICTURES 17 of them

Tata Sky Plus HD - Imgur

Thats all Folks...let me know if you need any other info...

Got the First Tata Sky PLUS HD (VIPs Only as 20 STBs have come into Mumbai today ie 11th feb)
Hello Everyone ,

I Got the First Tata Sky Plus HD. Only VIPs have got the first few STBs in Mumbai.
Tata syk technicial told me only 20 STBs have come into Mumbai today ie 11th feb. All have gone to VVIPs , ministers etc near Nepeansea Rd ie CM bungalow. Well I live opposite him and have a few connections!! Haha

Anyway I am posting pictures for you guys to enjoy and drool. The STB looks tooooo good..its Patent black shiny and much smaller in width than tata sky plus.

Everything works well....have plugged into my Denon AVR 2310. Worked right out of the box. Technician told me though that you have to use optical as the sound source to get 7.1 as via HDMI you will not get best sound results. No issue as I have to assign my input on my AVR and do the same. If you use both HDMI and plug in the Optical sound will come from Optical and not work in HDMI. I had to power down entire system and then remove optical and then use HDMI sound for now. Assigning optical will take me around 2 Hours as I have to read through the manual.

PICTURES 17 of them

Tata Sky Plus HD - Imgur

Hello Everyone ,

PICTURES 17 of them

Tata Sky Plus HD - Imgur

You may be unable to use Optical SPDIF to output 7.1 audio. ONLY HDMI supports 7.1 channel DD+, DD True HD or DTS HD Master Audio or Uncompressed 7.1 channel LPCM audio with Full HD 1920x1080 resolution at upto 60Hz (60 progressive frames per second).

You have been rather silly to trust the technician and looking to connect an extremely fragile and unreliable OPTICAL output despite having state of the art HDMI or coaxial copper connection. If your receiver do not support HDMI inputs, better will be to use the coaxial digital output with ANY regular coaxial cable (including once used for composite or component connection). Though it will be a SHAME to use optical connection if you already have HDMI capable receiver (it is like saying that a turntable player sounds superior and should be prefered over an Audio CD!).

You may be unable to use Optical SPDIF to output 7.1 audio. ONLY HDMI supports 7.1 channel DD+, DD True HD or DTS HD Master Audio or Uncompressed 7.1 channel LPCM audio with Full HD 1920x1080 resolution at upto 60Hz (60 progressive frames per second).

You have been rather silly to trust the technician and looking to connect an extremely fragile and unreliable OPTICAL output despite having state of the art HDMI or coaxial copper connection. If your receiver do not support HDMI inputs, better will be to use the coaxial digital output with ANY regular coaxial cable (including once used for composite or component connection). Though it will be a SHAME to use optical connection if you already have HDMI capable receiver (it is like saying that a turntable player sounds superior and should be prefered over an Audio CD!).

Actually, he is not silly. The HDMI of the Tata Sky HD box only gives PCM 2.0 and not DD+ or DD. The only way to get in this box seems to be coax or optical (Although I am unable to get even that).

As already said...optical out/digital out is the only way to take out DD5.1 from this box for now....somehow TS has managed not to take out the bit-stream thru the HDMI port....its silly on TS part and not the poster. Also Turntable is superior to Audio CD. Analog always wins over Digital in Sound....so does on film. No amount of digital technique can match the picture quality of film from projection . be it 1080p or 4320p

I know its offtopic but again can't resist

But, if they have to do 7.1, as claimed in the website, they HAVE to do it via HDMI, since neither optical, nor coax has the bandwidth to carry 7.1 Audio.
I think this is a temporary firmware "Feature" ( "Feature", if you ask a software guy, a "bug" for the rest of the world). They should be fixing it soon.

Infact HDMI has so much of bandwidth that they can transmit RAW uncompressed 7.1 PCM audio over HDMI ( HDMI 1.3a is some 10GBps, I believe).
Optical & Coax , AFAIK is 640kbps ( Enough for DTS and AC3(Dolby 5.1) ).

Actually, he is not silly. The HDMI of the Tata Sky HD box only gives PCM 2.0 and not DD+ or DD. The only way to get in this box seems to be coax or optical (Although I am unable to get even that).

I actually learned it after posting earlier. Seems TS Technicians are INTENTIONALLY tricking the customers to use Optical output for the same BUG. Hope they fix this as this certainly is a BUG which would create serious implications as HDMI should carry all the multichannel sound as per design (TS HD is not affected).

This issue in addition of NAT GEO HD Sound issue can actually qualify for the TS customers to SUE TS!

Now that's going into controversial territory :)
Not to take this discussion off-topic, but couldn't resist!

Hehe, I knew someone will want to talk about it and hence I made the analogy :D However I don't have any doubt that a digitally mastered Audio CD provides FAR superior sound especially on a 1 bit oversampled decoder.

But, if they have to do 7.1, as claimed in the website, they HAVE to do it via HDMI, since neither optical, nor coax has the bandwidth to carry 7.1 Audio.
I think this is a temporary firmware "Feature" ( "Feature", if you ask a software guy, a "bug" for the rest of the world). They should be fixing it soon.

Infact HDMI has so much of bandwidth that they can transmit RAW uncompressed 7.1 PCM audio over HDMI ( HDMI 1.3a is some 10GBps, I believe).
Optical & Coax , AFAIK is 640kbps ( Enough for DTS and AC3(Dolby 5.1) ).

SPDIF is normally 1536kbps and can "technically" carry DD+7.1 provided the receiver "supports" that format. As of now it can carry 2 channel 192kHz 24bit stereo audio which was not part of original SPDIF specs.

As already said...optical out/digital out is the only way to take out DD5.1 from this box for now....somehow TS has managed not to take out the bit-stream thru the HDMI port....its silly on TS part and not the poster. Also Turntable is superior to Audio CD. Analog always wins over Digital in Sound....so does on film. No amount of digital technique can match the picture quality of film from projection . be it 1080p or 4320p

I know its offtopic but again can't resist

Sorry I could not resist, while I agree on video as optical resolution of a film projector is virtually infinite, however I am sure you must have noticed the negligible difference in PERCEIVED video quality between 1080p and 4p. It basically boils down to the image focus more than the resolution when talking of a video image.

Regarding turntable, it is no way of any close match in terms of THD and SNR. Even the costliest ones could not compete with a regular Audio CD player with SPDIF output fed on a decent receiver. If you oversample the PCM decoding in exact multiples like 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz, the "digital" sampling losses and noise could be minimized to an extent which makes it unable to be noticed. On the contrary, the ACCURACY with which Audio CD reproduce the recorded music faithfully can not be compared with the mechanical groves created to generate the "perception" of sound.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back