TataSky goes HD

very curious. why wouldn't they put a PVR also into it? Now Tata Sky+ users like me are in a quandary. The pricing looks good.

The second thing I am wondering about is whether when more HD channels are added they will also be part of the HD Gold Pack (which is free for a year for exissting TS subscribers), or they will sneakily make some HD Entertainment Pack or HD Sports Pack and keep this Gold Pack as only Nat Geo and Discovery. In that case it's not such a great deal at all.

very curious. why wouldn't they put a PVR also into it? Now Tata Sky+ users like me are in a quandary. The pricing looks good.

The second thing I am wondering about is whether when more HD channels are added they will also be part of the HD Gold Pack (which is free for a year for exissting TS subscribers), or they will sneakily make some HD Entertainment Pack or HD Sports Pack and keep this Gold Pack as only Nat Geo and Discovery. In that case it's not such a great deal at all.

Exactly the point I made to the customer care. He said all the HD channels will be added to Gold pack only. However, you never trust these guys. I'd prefer to keep my old STB for my other TV.

it is better to get a new subscription rather than exchanging old box.. what they offer for existing box is one year HD gold pack (Rs. 360)..

you will anyway get 2 months free for new connection.. so 360-60 = 300 is not worth exchanging old box.. use it in parallel or in other room instead :)

HD box for 2599/- including installation is excellent price.. hope the quality doesn't suffer..any idea what make it is?

Last edited:
It has the HDMI out as well as a suplied HDMI cable.

It is 1080i, does Airtel/Big TV have 1080p?

Tata Sky has been too late in offering the HD and that also without the sports channels, Im not sure if it is time to switch.
None of the DTH providers are providing 1080p HD.

TataSky will be adding other HD channels, including sports soon. Will have to wait for announcement. Yes, it makes sense to wait for now.

i guess for us tata sky plus subscribers its better to wait it out. there will surely be a hd pvr, since tata sky is more or less following the 'phoren' model of business :p

Called them up today. HD Service is available only in Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai as of now. The guy I spoke to said he has no idea about the launch in other cities. :(

Called them up today. HD Service is available only in Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai as of now. The guy I spoke to said he has no idea about the launch in other cities. :(

The same experience here too. I wanted to know abt the launch date in Pune.
btw, is it a better idea to take a new connection and use the old STB for a parallel connection?

They have to otherwise there is no point in the launch, TS+ users would not trade the PVR with HD, atleast I wouldnt.

The site atleast says that the channels would be added to the Gold Pack itself.......hope they do....

"The Gold HD pack is available at a subscription price of Rs 30 per month. Watch this space for more HD channels such as Star Plus HD, Star Movies HD and other popular sports channels thatll be added to the Gold HD pack soon."

The site say " for existing customers, HD Gold pack is free for a year". It does not say about upgrading. Does it mean I can keep the STB and have the Gold pack as well? Anyways, TATA Sky will also benefit from it, as I'm keeping 2 connections.
I have to ask the CC guy about this. Anyways, right now he doesn't know much, and that it is yet to launch in Kolkata. He said, "Wait for a few days"...

The site say " for existing customers, HD Gold pack is free for a year". It does not say about upgrading. Does it mean I can keep the STB and have the Gold pack as well? Anyways, TATA Sky will also benefit from it, as I'm keeping 2 connections.
I have to ask the CC guy about this. Anyways, right now he doesn't know much, and that it is yet to launch in Kolkata. He said, "Wait for a few days"...

What am I supposed to do with the regular STB once I get the HD STB??:confused:

^^ Logic says you gotta return it :)

As per fine print - the STB is yours but not the dish. So even if you stopped the TS connection/or shift and not resume the TS connection, the STB is yours for keeps. But the TS have the right to take the dish away as per their schedule (but mostly for a cheap dish that it is it is also left behind usually).

BTW for current customers the deal is not so great financially. Yes 30X12=360 bucks off for the entire year for HD plus pack is not equal to the same amount to be paid upfront for a new HD connection.

A New STB is chargeable at the same rate + cabling for current and new connections alike.

I think it pays to be a bit patient when these come in.

I know of friends in UK who took the Sky HD when it was launched paid a premium for the very few channels, only for the same boxes to be sold real cheap now as they now want volume sales.

I guess Tata Sky and others would try and do the same, fleece from the early birds and when everyone offers become rational about the pricing.

But in terms of upgrades, I dont think Sky or Tata Sky will do a box upgrade, they didnt do it in the normal STB to sky +; they only waive off the installation part. Probably would do the same for the HD box.

I think it pays to be a bit patient when these come in.

I know of friends in UK who took the Sky HD when it was launched paid a premium for the very few channels, only for the same boxes to be sold real cheap now as they now want volume sales.

I guess Tata Sky and others would try and do the same, fleece from the early birds and when everyone offers become rational about the pricing.

I don't think charging 2600 rupees qualifies as 'fleecing'.

^^ It is when you know that the existing technology is going to be replaced with a better technology very soon and that your existing STB is going to be junk in around 6 months time.

^^ It is when you know that the existing technology is going to be replaced with a better technology very soon and that your existing STB is going to be junk in around 6 months time.

Do you mean DVR ? God knows when that will come out (and what its price will be). Frankly, it's irrelevant to me. I'm more interested in the number of HD channels. I'll get a HD connection the moment they can offer a few decent HD channels (Movies, Star World, Sports etc.).

In any case, the 6 months thing can be applied to any tech. You can't expect technology/the market to wait for you.

We already get Nat Geo and Discovery Channel - Is it the same channel that is transmitted in 1080i resolution or is it a different channel.
In the SD Broadcast of Discovery and Nat Geo we find lots of commercial break and continious graphic display at the bottom of the screen. Are these graphic display available in HD transmission ? What is the average bitrate of these HD Transmission ?
Feed back from any HD DTH user will be appreciated.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back