TataSky+ HD: 7.1 to 5.1 - will it work?

gopi.krishnan

Hi All,

I am planning to buy TataSky+ HD, I already own a TataSky DTH (bare bones).

I have a Dolby 5.1 home theater with me (i dont have any receiver). What happens if I connect my 5.1 with TataSky+ HD which outputs 7.1? will it be compatible? or will i have any distortion?

Will be happy to know abt the Audio compatibility.

Cheers,
GK

Tatasky+ HD STB can give 5.1 over HDMI as well as Optical Audio.
But 5.1 over HDMI is not coming for all, one of the forum member mentioned that dolby 5.1 is not coming over HDMI from his Tatasky+ STB.

Can your Dolby 5.1 system take HDMI or Optical Audio input, if yes, you can go for Tatasky+ HD

If you are having a DVD player based home theater system, check whether it can take HDMI or Optical Audio Input

i have tata sky HD and recently got Denon AVR 1612 and KEF Q500 speakers ... the installation guy advised me to connect my AVR to the Set Top Box with a Coaxial cable ... after that i can watch all HD channels with Dolby Digital Sound ... its awesome ...

i have tata sky HD and recently got Denon AVR 1612 and KEF Q500 speakers ... the installation guy advised me to connect my AVR to the Set Top Box with a Coaxial cable ... after that i can watch all HD channels with Dolby Digital Sound ... its awesome ...

You can now connect HDMI as well to your AVR and it will work the same way. Its an issue on TS+HD which is still not passing DD audio through HDMI except for few of us here.

Gopi - There is NO 7.1 audio on Tatasky! Don't fall prey to fraud marketing of these DTH operators (everyone has their own share of fake campaigns, Dish HD is the biggest fraud of these). Asli HD Channels do broadcast in DD+ these days and it originates from TS broadcasting facility only! However, TS still is giving DD5.1 audio only and this may change by May 2012 if new satellite gets successfully launched.

I believe your Home Theater has ANALOG (discrete) 5.1 input and NO operator gives multichannel output (other than stereo) that way. So you would need an external decoder to decode the Dolby Digital tracks of HD channels and gives you 5.1 audio. Same applies to 7.1 and as there is hardly any content available in 7.1, we may never actually get DD+7.1 audio (we may get DD+5.1 next year). Hope this answers your query.

:(
My DD 5.1 system doesnt have optical or hdmi input. :sad: only way i could go with is to use some kind of decoder as you mentioned.
My TV supports HDMI input as well as it has Optical. But the only problem is, i need a decoder.
Is there any option other than a AVR??
Can you guys tell me if there any cheapest decoder available? I know AV Receivers are expensive ones..

:(
My DD 5.1 system doesnt have optical or hdmi input. :sad: only way i could go with is to use some kind of decoder as you mentioned.
My TV supports HDMI input as well as it has Optical. But the only problem is, i need a decoder.
Is there any option other than a AVR??
Can you guys tell me if there any cheapest decoder available? I know AV Receivers are expensive ones..
If you say your HT is DD 5.1 capable, it should have atleast one digital input. Seems we forgot to talk on "Coaxial" output from TS+HD. Its a regular connection like AV (RCA or composite). Try locating a coaxial or "digital" audio input on your HT and you could use any spare RCA cable to connect to the TS+HD's coaxial digital output (use just a single cable out of the 2 or 3 AV cable). That should give you true 5.1 audio for HD channels (depending on content). It will also give you best quality audio from other channels.

@prankey

My HT doesnt have coaxial too :(
looks like I m far behind!!
it juz has multichannel input :(

BTW .. thanks for your response!!
is there any cheap decoder available?

Is this confirmed? Also can we expect to get more HD channels after this happens??
More HD channels - yes, definitely. Not sure about the audio improvement including DD+ but I am definitely taking them to the court if they do not disable the junk AVL/DRC processing within the next few days. Struggling since past 10 months. Not sure how rest of us are tolerating since many years! They started it during the end of 2007 after getting complaints from several users of different volume levels on each channel. So instead of setting them individually, they started this menace of AVL which also does DRC across the audio spectrum while "balancing" the sound. Hence it becomes lifeless and choppy.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back