:confused:

I own PS3 , TakaSky , Philips HD dvd player with HT ,

Looking for 37' TV .
My preference would be

Tata Sky ,
HD Movies ,
PS3 .

My Budget is +- 40 K .

Saw the blog , very good and informative .
Forum Techies help me out . :)

Up the budget a bit more and you can go with the Panasonic PV8 plasma TV. Great VFM and a great TV too and also is 42".

I have seen good reviews for this , but my room is not such big , viewing distance would be 7 - 8 feet .

Would it be fine for such distance .

I have seen good reviews for this , but my room is not such big , viewing distance would be 7 - 8 feet .

It should be pretty good. I view a 50in from 6-11 ft. Does not bother me too much and my eyesight is good :)

Only one thing I have learned from purchasing 3 TVs in the last 6 months. Make a decision based only on PQ. Don't bother about size, cosmetic looks, room size, etc. Of course other factors to consider are the company, their history, their after sales service, etc. Just go by your eyes and make a best decision based on them. Your eyes will end up watching them for a lot of time later on.

BTW, 7-8 feet is fine. My viewing distance alters from 6-10 feet and the Panasonic PV8 looks great from all angles and all distances.

best part is the panny pv8 will not hurt even at a short distance of 6-10 ft. My room is a moderate 12ft in length and i watch from a shorter distance of around 6-8ft.

When you opt for a LCD your eyes will go for a toss - on first looks a lcd looks sharper but a few hours of late night viewing it puts a lot of strain.

Whereas with a plasma you are ready for marathon viewing - last night i watched RDB, Wall-E and The Reader at one og on my panny. No strain at all.

When you opt for a LCD your eyes will go for a toss - on first looks a lcd looks sharper but a few hours of late night viewing it puts a lot of strain.

Whereas with a plasma you are ready for marathon viewing - last night i watched RDB, Wall-E and The Reader at one og on my panny. No strain at all.

well i watch movies ,play games for hours together in lcds and it does not cause any eye strain whats so ever,compared to my crt tv which can cause quite a lot of eye strain and after some time u feel weird especialt if u play games on the lcd no such issue.

@suki
i would go for a 37inch or a 40inch lcds,considering u have a ps3 which i guess u use for gaming,lcds are immune to one possible problem that can occur in plasma burn in,while todays plasmas are much improved they still can get a burn in(permanent image retention) which no plasma manufacturer can deny.
u can google around here is one such article
Plasma TV Burn-In

Last edited:
well i watch movies ,play games for hours together in lcds and it does not cause any eye strain whats so ever,compared to my crt tv which can cause quite a lot of eye strain and after some time u feel weird especialt if u play games on the lcd no such issue.

@suki
i would go for a 37inch or a 40inch lcds,considering u have a ps3 which i guess u use for gaming,lcds are immune to one possible problem that can occur in plasma burn in,while todays plasmas are much improved they still can get a burn in(permanent image retention) which no plasma manufacturer can deny.
u can google around here is one such article
Plasma TV Burn-In

burn in is a problem but only if a particular screen is on for more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. With a plethora of channels and sources i don;t think burn in is going to be a problem. Ask any panny pv8 owner in this forum whether he is facing this problem with normal TV viewing.

Go by PQ - your eyes are not gonna lie to you. Panny PV8 rules in this segment.

Another thing about LCDs (my experience with the32'' LG Jazz and Sony V series 40) - watching sports or playing fast motion games was a problem - ghosting. I could not play resistance on the ps3 on the Sony for more than 45 mins - eys started to hurt. And late night movie (SD source - did not try with HD) made my eyes water.

Don't go by big names or marketing gimmicks - LCDs look better on first look but on extended sessions might pose a problem (Sony x series is out of comparision here though). Plasma on the other hand is in a different league altogether.

Let your eyes decide and let your money be well spend - that's what i want you to decide.:clapping:

Another thing about LCDs (my experience with the32'' LG Jazz and Sony V series 40) - watching sports or playing fast motion games was a problem - ghosting. I could not play resistance on the ps3 on the Sony for more than 45 mins - eys started to hurt. And late night movie (SD source - did not try with HD) made my eyes water.

well it varies from person to person and majority of the people are fine and prefer the image of lcd,and i too play a lot in my lcd never hurt my eyes what so ever.well if lcds are bad sales figure would have been different, magazines/review sites would have had the lcds score low on points,but that hasnt happened.the fact is plasma is nearing its end,its only a matter of time before other plasma manufactures follow the path of pioneer,with EU trying to ban plasmas,plasma days are numbered.

well it varies from person to person and majority of the people are fine and prefer the image of lcd,and i too play a lot in my lcd never hurt my eyes what so ever.well if lcds are bad sales figure would have been different, magazines/review sites would have had the lcds score low on points,but that hasnt happened.the fact is plasma is nearing its end,its only a matter of time before other plasma manufactures follow the path of pioneer,with EU trying to ban plasmas,plasma days are numbered.

well if were to spend 4 lakhs on a TV i would take the Kuro - not even the Sony X or the Samsung 7 comes close. AT a budget end obviously 40-45k i suggested panny pv8.

Technology wise plasma & LCD are different. But why go for paraphernalia that does not justify the cost. I just think sony and samsung are overrated. If the Sony V series or the Samsung 5/6 series came in the price bracket of 40-45k we might have a fight.

And yes some #@#@# (i meant uneducated technology wise) people spend 55k on a 32 Full HD TV for PQ that does not differentiate it from others after 5-6ft.

BTW try CNBC ticker on a Samsung 5/6 series - see it well fail miserably. Colours are bad - but a normal user is not concerned that the manufacturer takes 50-70k of our hard earned money and gives us a set with bad colour calibration.

An please do not make it personal - sometimes sales figures have no correlation with the actual product value. Any marketing guy will tell you that.

Pleas egt your facts right - btw plasmas sell more in the US atleast till 2007-08 it was i read somewhere. Hope i had the data.

Only programs like techguru et con TV (the guys have no sense of technolgy) can suggest to go and buy something for the summer vacation for your hard earned money.

PS: Sorry i am getting touchy here. Its just that I am responsible middle class Indian (newbie) audiophile havign spent nearly 1.20 lakhs in the last 1 month to get my HT setup going. Making my money worth is imperative and i would like others to do likewise. Or else for convenience sake and poeple with loads of moolah get the sony x series 42 inch for 2 lakhs . It is nearly worth it. (mah pioneer kuro anyone)

As a PV8 owner guess my position is clear. The OP seems to be MIA here. But just wanted to state something. All LCD backers talk of sales figures. Well going by that Maruti 800 is the best car right? Nano might become the best car too going by sales figures.

As a PV8 owner guess my position is clear. The OP seems to be MIA here. But just wanted to state something. All LCD backers talk of sales figures. Well going by that Maruti 800 is the best car right? Nano might become the best car too going by sales figures.

exactly - :eek:hyeah:

A good product gains publicity mostly by word of mouth - and I swear by the panasonic now. I was gonna buy the Samsung in Jan but the panny found its way home in feb and it rules my heart (our hearts)

Thaak God i listened to all the people who first hand experienced the TV, auditioned it, trusted my eyes and bargained (thanks again to this forum) to get a good deal.

Sales in India are an altogether different ballgame. Most dealers will push products that give them higher margins. Freebies are another thing. Plus EMI schemes where you can bring the TV home paying Rs. 1500 per month. All such factors influence sales figures.

Sales in India are an altogether different ballgame. Most dealers will push products that give them higher margins. Freebies are another thing. Plus EMI schemes where you can bring the TV home paying Rs. 1500 per month. All such factors influence sales figures.

in fact i got my panny pv8 which comes under the 6 month interest free scheme from Citi. Works out great for me.:clapping:

in fact i got my panny pv8 which comes under the 6 month interest free scheme from Citi. Works out great for me.:clapping:

Me too and nothing wrong with that. My cousin is into retailing and so I know pretty much what goes on behind the scenes and how sales/targets are met. Just making the point that more sales does not necessarily mean the best product.

well do note that competing lcds are priced much higher then plasma yet lcds still have the lead in sales.there are wast majority of the people who like the picture of lcd ,the sales figure of plasmas in no where near that of lcds even in the US,like i said its days are numbered.companies like sony who dont make lcds and plasma themselfs ditched plasma for some reason.
anyway the advantages of lcd far outweigh the advantages of plasma atleast in my case.
the pros and cons of lcd ,plasma have already been discussed before,people go by the tech they prefer,where majoirty prefer the tech of lcd.

well do note that competing lcds are priced much higher then plasma yet lcds still have the lead in sales.there are wast majority of the people who like the picture of lcd ,the sales figure of plasmas in no where near that of lcds even in the US,like i said its days are numbered.companies like sony who don't make lcds and plasma themselfs ditched plasma for some reason.
anyway the advantages of lcd far outweigh the advantages of plasma atleast in my case.
the pros and cons of lcd ,plasma have already been discussed before,people go by the tech they prefer,where majoirty prefer the tech of lcd.

i guess that you are right here wrt what works for whom.

Believe me wrt to PQ the Kuro can beat any TV from the Sony stable (X series included), Samsung 6/7 dont even come close.

And wrt Sony gettign out of the plasma business - there's something called core competency and companies stick to that. And Pioneer is not closing shop wrt the Kuro - just outsourcing something to Panasonic which the latter does better.

To each his own (or something like that) - and yes i say again don't go by brand name always or technology gimmicks. Sony as well as Samsung LCDs are overpriced by nearly 20-30% here in India - only thing i wish that people woudl care more more their money rather than go buy a 32" Full HD LCD for 70k and then watch cable TV from a distance of 12ft or more.

PS: Please everyone check out the Kuro full HD and the Sony X series full HD (watch it for more than 20mins if possible ....sony is calibrated for deeper reds hence at first glance looks great but after 20 mins as the Pioneer warms up compare SD quality, HD quality side by side - you will know the diff)

LCDs being more expensive than Plasma its correct for a Full HD LCD compared to a HD Ready Plasma (which is what everyone compares). Now if you start considering the prices of Full HD Plasmas then its an entirely different ballgame. Sony dumped plasma not because it was an outdated technology, but mainly because they were not selling any plasma TVs. If you apply this analogy then you have to accept Sony's CRTs are bad or did not sell which is not the case, but Sony has discontinued CRT production too. This is only because they want to push LCD sales. In fact Panasonic has gone the other way and is backing plasma over LCD. Coming to plasma days being numbered, well even LCDs days are numbered with OLED coming in. I have seen OLED TVs and both LCDs and Plasmas don't hold a candle to it. In fact Sony and Samsung (the LCD backers/promoters) are going ahead with OLED TVs more than even Panasonic/Pioneer (the plasma backers/promoters). What does this say? The LCD backers themselves want to push new technology because they know LCD days are numbered right? In a year or a couple of years these two companies will be churning out OLED TVs and not LCDs and be giving the same reasons they are now giving for LCD vs. Plasma i.e. OLED is more energy efficient and consumes less power, saves more space, is a better technology, etc. In 2 years LCD along with plasma will be dead simply because Sony/Samsung and other TV manufacturers want to push newer technology in the form of OLED and that too at newer/higher prices.

I've said this before and will say so again. I was a firm believer in LCD is better than plasma because like many I read all the online reviews, forums, etc. and in fact even argued with friends (a couple of whom had Kuro so you can imagine what these guys must have thought of me). Fact is when I put LCD and plasma next to each other and watched them only Sony X series scored against any plasma TV be it Panasonic PV8 and/or Samsung 410/450 and really to compare the Sony X series you will need to put the Kuro next to it and compare. Apart from the Sony X series (to my eyes and IMHO) plasma just rules in PQ at least. Forget all the marketing talk (that's just companies fooling people to sell their products, just look at the Fair & Lovely ads and you'll know what I am talking about) I would really like to know which LCD TV (company/model) really gives better PQ than say a Panasonic PV8 apart from the Sony X series. If anyone can give me a model/make I will really put it next to a PV8 and compare. I've compared almost all companies/models and to my eyes at least the plasmas were always better on head to head or side by side comparision. This is actually watching in side by side comparision forgetting all the jargon on why LCD is better than plasma. Heck, I can show so many links where they say Dolby is better than DTS but all audiophiles know otherwise.

OLED is another story altogether and that's the future.

i guess that you are right here wrt what works for whom.

Believe me wrt to PQ the Kuro can beat any TV from the Sony stable (X series included), Samsung 6/7 dont even come close.

PS: Please everyone check out the Kuro full HD and the Sony X series full HD (watch it for more than 20mins if possible ....sony is calibrated for deeper reds hence at first glance looks great but after 20 mins as the Pioneer warms up compare SD quality, HD quality side by side - you will know the diff)

well there is no denying the fact that pioneer kuro is good it still has around 10% more contrast then sony X.And btw samsung 6,7 series are low end tvs compared to pioneer kuro and sony X series,samsung answer for pioneer kuro and sony X series is samsung series 8.
btw the upcoming tvs from sony with BE3 and latest SPVA panels may take the lead in contrast according to lcds specs from the new sonys like their 40inchs have a advertized static contrast of 4000 to 5000 depending on the series,(the existing models like sony S,V, and W which have a advertized static contrast of 3000 in the real world has around 2300 to 2500:1 ANSI contrast) ,offcouse lcd with active LED backlight have already taken the lead in contrast but thats a different story.

well again about pioneer kuro it sucks in SD just the way sony X series sucks in SD.nobody denied the fact that pioneer kuro is great.but some people telling that their PV8 is better then sony X is bullshit. btw if i remember correctly pioneer is think of launching lcds.what makes pioneer good apart from the contrast advantage the main reason is its image processing.

LCDs being more expensive than Plasma its correct for a Full HD LCD compared to a HD Ready Plasma (which is what everyone compares). Now if you start considering the prices of Full HD Plasmas then its an entirely different ballgame. Sony dumped plasma not because it was an outdated technology, but mainly because they were not selling any plasma TVs. If you apply this analogy then you have to accept Sony's CRTs are bad or did not sell which is not the case, but Sony has discontinued CRT production too. This is only because they want to push LCD sales. In fact Panasonic has gone the other way and is backing plasma over LCD. Coming to plasma days being numbered, well even LCDs days are numbered with OLED coming in. I have seen OLED TVs and both LCDs and Plasmas don't hold a candle to it. In fact Sony and Samsung (the LCD backers/promoters) are going ahead with OLED TVs more than even Panasonic/Pioneer (the plasma backers/promoters). What does this say? The LCD backers themselves want to push new technology because they know LCD days are numbered right? In a year or a couple of years these two companies will be churning out OLED TVs and not LCDs and be giving the same reasons they are now giving for LCD vs. Plasma i.e. OLED is more energy efficient and consumes less power, saves more space, is a better technology, etc. In 2 years LCD along with plasma will be dead simply because Sony/Samsung and other TV manufacturers want to push newer technology in the form of OLED and that too at newer/higher prices.

I've said this before and will say so again. I was a firm believer in LCD is better than plasma because like many I read all the online reviews, forums, etc. and in fact even argued with friends (a couple of whom had Kuro so you can imagine what these guys must have thought of me). Fact is when I put LCD and plasma next to each other and watched them only Sony X series scored against any plasma TV be it Panasonic PV8 and/or Samsung 410/450 and really to compare the Sony X series you will need to put the Kuro next to it and compare. Apart from the Sony X series (to my eyes and IMHO) plasma just rules in PQ at least. Forget all the marketing talk (that's just companies fooling people to sell their products, just look at the Fair & Lovely ads and you'll know what I am talking about) I would really like to know which LCD TV (company/model) really gives better PQ than say a Panasonic PV8 apart from the Sony X series. If anyone can give me a model/make I will really put it next to a PV8 and compare. I've compared almost all companies/models and to my eyes at least the plasmas were always better on head to head or side by side comparision. This is actually watching in side by side comparision forgetting all the jargon on why LCD is better than plasma. Heck, I can show so many links where they say Dolby is better than DTS but all audiophiles know otherwise.

OLED is another story altogether and that's the future.

well u must understand that 2 years ago 32inch lcd used to cost more then a 42inch lcd,yet lcd took the lead.
sony were selling plasmas tvs i have their 2004/5/6 brochure that had plasma .well sony crts didnt sell atleast in india because of the price,when crts were at thier peak,a sony 21inch used to cost as much as a 29inch philips,samsung etc.and todays lcds and plasma show a better picture then crt,i was having a discussion in another UK forums who has a sony XBR series of crt which is the best of the crt and he also has a pioneer kuro and his brother has a X series lcd,well he didnt find the crt holding well against these tvs,in order for it to get good blacks u will need to decrease the brightness,but then u loose shadow detail,so u again increase the brightness black is no longer black,this were pioneer kuro ,X series lcd has the edge overall picture is still better then the sony XBR crt.i myself bought a crt just so that i can by the last sony crt and i just hate the picture they are so tuff on ur eyes.

again panny pv8,sammy410/450 are better then most lcds in SD content,but if u play a native HD content then u will notice that what ever advantage plasma has is gone,motion trail is also visible in plasma,and lcds like sony s,v,w already have equal or greater ANSI contrast then PV8.
and yes lcds days are also numbered but still is years away imo it will take atleast 7 years or more for it to become extinct ,u must note that OLED will start becoming affordable only after 2012 and OLED still have to improve their lifespan.
and plasma well once EU bans them and other countries follow suite then,it will be the end sooner compared to lCDs which have better future with improving contrasts,falling costs,even more improved power efficency with led backlight.

anway another plasma vs LCD:lol:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back