Technics 1200

agree with the above comments:

comparing the SL1200 with the 301 or 401 is just not right, they are in different leagues meant for different purposes. In my view, at first listen, the SL1200 will sound better than the Garrards. The simple reason is stated above. The SLs will play virtually any kind of record, its s-shaped arm is one of the most under-rated in turntable history but will tolerate anything, and just sing and sing. But, its when the ears start getting critical, that the SLs inadequacies come to the fore. In my view, the best performer to demonstrate this is good old Jim Reeves. Listen to a Jim Reeves record on the SL and then on the Garrards and you can easily tell the difference. If you want my humble opinion, Jim Reeves on the SLs sound like he's singing after a tiring busy day while Jim Reeves on the Garrards sounds like he's in the greatest mood of his life and singing full of energy and zest. I've played with all these turntables with the same amp, cartridge combo and my honest opinion is the as follows:

match up between the 301, 401, SP25, SL1200, SL3200 with Jim Reeves on the table

SP25
SL1200
SL3200

When you throw the SP10 into the mix, the mix is shaken up. My view on the SP10 is what most folk in history and most contemporaries think. It is one hell of a turntable, splendid timing, great torque which brings out bass energy and it is so fluent and accurate. In my opinion, simply the best turntable ever made. The SP10, even though it is a different league of the Garrards, beats the Garrards hands down in my opinion. With the SP10 thrown in,

SP10
SP25
SL1200
SL3200

In my opinion, the 301 is highly over rated, It is a splendid turntable but the 401 is much much better.

Finally I would say, one can say this and that, idler and belt drive, direct drive and what not. When you turn on the music, how it sounds to you is what matters. I don't believe in saying that my idler 301 or 401s are actually better than the SP10 because they are legendary and probably the best idlers ever. What matters it that the SP10 sounds better to my ears. On another note, there is no comparison possible between the SL1200 and the SP10, they are in different leagues altogether.

Last edited:
My my, don't I just loves the 1200s. They cannot be compared to the big guns as rightly said by the others. However, your everyday workhorse cannot be better than a 1200 as these decks with some very simple tweaks make these simply awesome and everyday decks. My affair with the 401 is quite a handful.Played only on special dates and thats it. More like a show piece otherwise. Heavy maintenance, calibration and tech stuff involved with these decks which makes the already tedious TT and Vinyl hobby more tedious.

Cheers

Technics sl 1200 mk2 is going for USD 600 to USD 800 on Ebay, if they are in VG to mint condition. Some of them which are not in VG condition go for even 350 bucks. If they are in VG to mint condition, the landed cost in India would easily be over INR 50,000. So, if the going price in India is around Rs. 40,000-45,000, it is not a bad deal. Just my two cents. I am not getting into the debate if they are worth this price or not!

One thing we audiophiles should remember that technics 1200 is bought cheap and tweeked to our fancy ,it is a case of a machine lending itself to be tweeked to our liking and this is done for a cheap and a hardy turntable like technics 1200 ,to convert a 30 thousand tt to 1 to 1.5 lakh sounding tt.

The beauty of Technics is it lends itself to be played around ,for which I respect ,it is a heavily damped unit ,which goes against the principles of TT.

If you have to pay 60 ,70 etc why can't one pick up modern turn tables like rega ,project & clear audio and to be done with it.

In the above list I prefer Rega because of very low damping ,yes technics is great but not worth more than rs 25,000 not a penny mire ,go pick up a rega it is still better if you don't want to tweek it.

My my, don't I just loves the 1200s. They cannot be compared to the big guns as rightly said by the others. However, your everyday workhorse cannot be better than a 1200 as these decks with some very simple tweaks make these simply awesome and everyday decks. My affair with the 401 is quite a handful.Played only on special dates and thats it. More like a show piece otherwise. Heavy maintenance, calibration and tech stuff involved with these decks which makes the already tedious TT and Vinyl hobby more tedious.

Cheers

I think this is absolutely well said. The SL12s are the closest one can get to vinyl plug and play. And believe me, with regular amps and speakers, the difference between all these turntables is more or less in-audible. As RP rightly put it, they heavy-reputation decks are great as collector's items but if you look at the value for money quotient (cost vs delight), nothing can beat a Technics Direct Drive.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back