Technics SL 1200 MK2

olly42

Long awaited but finally managed to get the turn table i was looking for - Technics SL 1200 MK2. Courtesy FM _ Record player who has been kind enough to part with one from his collection. - Thank You Suhail

With out the help of FM's Sachin and Raghu my turntable set up would have been a dull affair... While the turn table is in excellent working condition the Denon AVR 3312 didn't do any justice to it. So with Sachin and Raghu's help DCB1 landed today. Thank you Sachin and Raghu for putting this together

Connected them all today and wow the difference was like day and night.... Had some hiccups with the new Shure cart M44-7 (could get only mono out put which was incredible.. did some changes in the wiring but that didn't help. So its the old cart with new stylus did the work for now.. Got to figure out what the heck is wrong... any suggestions??

Will share my listening experience and pics in a few days...

Long awaited but finally managed to get the turn table i was looking for - Technics SL 1200 MK2. Courtesy FM _ Record player who has been kind enough to part with one from his collection. -

Congratulations Olly and you are most welcome. The interaction with you was extremely pleasing.

Looking forward to the pics with your complete rig.

Here's a shot of this beauty that's now staged in Ollys rig:

_MG_2352_zpsdf54c783.jpg

What are the different forms of LPs? Are vinyls same as LP's? I understand vinyl is the material LPs are made of. But are all LPs made of vinyl?

And are all LPs expensive like they start at Rs 700 per LP?

If one has a collection of 500 LPs then he is sitting on stuff like Rs 5 lakh worth collection !!!

Thats staggering figure and the user's Audio set up may be cheaper than that !!!

Just a few silly questions as I am new to LPs.

Hi..

Abbreviation of LP is Long Play and indirectly specifying the size of the record. LP records are 12 inch size. Most of the LPs are made of vinyl plastic.

New LP cost are Rs.700 and above. But most having old records. Current price for old records are an average 100 to 200.

Answer for your last question is may be Yes.

LP records are meant to spin at 33-1/3 rpm. They're usually 12 inch in diameter, but there are 10 inch records too. 'long play' because they play longer than 45 rpm or 78 rpm records. LP typically can accommodate 20 to 22 minutes of program per side.

Just for info, 45 rpm records can also be 12 inch or 7 inch In size. I think it can also be 10 inch, but I've never seen one.

33 and 45 rpm records are made of vinyl. 78 rpm are made of shellac.

The best records, sonic-wise, are 45 rpm. There is a scientific reason for this.

Great point about cost of record collections. Personally for me, my humble record collection is the costliest 'component' of music 'system'.

The best records, sonic-wise, are 45 rpm. There is a scientific reason for this.

I think you are talking about 12' 45 RPM records. I have heard that 7' 45 RPM records are not good as 12' records (33 or 45 RPM), sonically. Pls correct me if i am wrong.

Once i saw 16' record at a record sellers shop. I was told that they where used in studios. Are they 33 RPMs?

Last edited:
I think you are talking about 12' 45 RPM records. I have heard that 7' 45 RPM records are not good as 12' records (33 or 45 RPM), sonically. Pls correct me if i am wrong.

Once i saw 16' record at a record sellers shop. I was told that they where used in studios. Are they 33 RPMs?

45 RPM 12" Lps sound very good. I never liked SQ EP(7" 45 RMP). 7" SP sound best IMO.

Regards
Sachin

Yes, I was referring to 12 inch 45s. 7 inchers are usually for releasing singles, or at the most two songs per side. Sound quality is modest on 7" records. More for jukeboxes, I think.

I normally don't buy them mainly because the number of songs is too less (constant changing needed - I don't favor changers), and they don't have cardboard covers and usually make do with just thin paper sleeves (and hence most are in poor shape due to low protection from environment).

Hi Sachu

Which of the 45 SP s would you recommend? I don't think all films were released in 45 SP

LP's are an expensive affair but the sound quality is what makes the difference when compared to CD for example.... two diff technologies each having their merits and demerits.. I have a small collection of LP's which range from bad to excellent quality collected over a period of time

Hi Sachu

Which of the 45 SP s would you recommend? I don't think all films were released in 45 SP

I have very few SPs,like Silsila, Simple Red, Arman etc. All of them sound fantastic. I used to ignore them like EPs,but one of my friend told me about SQ.

Regards
Sachin

SPs play a very important role in my humble collection. I mostly procure R.D.Burman LPs - and some of the golden songs during 1972/73 have been released in Electronically Processed Stereo LPs and Super Seven. Hence the best bet is to listen to the mono SPs and that too sounds excellent. Namak Haraam, Anamika, Yaadon Ki Baraat, Madhosh, Rickshawalla, Jaise Ko Taisa, Double Cross to name a few.

Also some of the movie soundtracks were only released in EPs like Doosri Seeta, Rani Mera Naam, Bombay to Goa (later released in LP though), Rakhi Aur Haathkadi, Phir Kab Milogi, Hungama etc. As an obvious reason, songs were truncated in EPs. I emphasized on SPs wherever available to get lengthier version. I have a significant number of SPs - some of them are super rare now in terms of R.D.Burman collection.

Can anyone tell me how different a 1200 mk 2 and 1210 mk 2 are? According to what I've read the 1210 mk 2 is the most stable and popular model between all the 1200/1210 variants.

I have the music of the film Gaman on a 45 rpm 12'. But, I've found no differnce between a 33 1/2 rpm and this one. The music is superb.

Can anyone tell me how different a 1200 mk 2 and 1210 mk 2 are? According to what I've read the 1210 mk 2 is the most stable and popular model between all the 1200/1210 variants.

The only difference is the Color. 1200 is Silver and the 1210 is Black. No other sonic differences between the two. Some like the 1200s because of the color and because they are earlier makes.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back