Technics 1300 TT

soundofmusic

Hi , I am offered a Technics 1300 TT , The seller claims that this a fully automatic Machine and better then the 1700. According to the seller it has the same qualities of 1200. Asking price is 13k with Audio Technica Cartridge. The TT looks decent , Is this a worthy player to consider and is this player worth 13k??

TIA

This isn't a bad entry level turntable but I feel the seller is asking too much for it. Also keep in mind this is a direct drive TT. I haven't seen the innards of a SL-1300 but if it has plastic gears, they may give problems at some stage and it may not be easy for you to source replacements or spare parts.
People have their own preferences but my suggestion would be that you should look for a belt drive TT.
Hope this helps.

Hi , I am offered a Technics 1300 TT , The seller claims that this a fully automatic Machine and better then the 1700. According to the seller it has the same qualities of 1200. Asking price is 13k with Audio Technica Cartridge. The TT looks decent , Is this a worthy player to consider and is this player worth 13k??

TIA

ask Malvai from the forums. he has great knowledge

How old?
Which AT cart? Is it brand new box sealed cart?
What you mean by fully automatic?

It should be 15 years old me thinks. Reg AT cartridge I dont have any idea. will check it out and post the model number, The seller is also having a SL 1100 but asking for 25k.

The 1100 came out in 1971, a precursor to the SL1200. Manufacturing continued through the 70s.

The SL1300 is also a mid-70s model, and production continued through the mid-80s. It is inferior to the 1100 and 1200, but still a decent TT in its own right. For its age, the cost is a bit high.

The 1100 is a better buy, a classic of sorts, with an interesting looking tonearm, quite unlike the standard design that came with the 1200 and later models. Try and get a reduction on that one, of course after checking it out thoroughly for speed accuracy, and smoothness of the main bearing and the arm bearing.

Firstly, G401 is absolutely correct.

IMHO, the price being quoted for the SL1300 is a wee bit high. If its in good condition and if the Cart is newish... then one should not pay more than 10-11k.

The 1100 is definitely over priced. One can get a good 1200 deck for about 20ish. So, why is the seller asking for 25k for this?

IMHO, anything over 15k for the 1100 is tooo much.

Well I picked up the 1300 for 11k after bargaining very very hard for half a day. The good old gentleman was very much firm on his pricing, seeing the condition of the TT , I too dont want to let it go. Finally paid 11k and took home the TT. Now I am connecting the TT to the Nad 3020, since my Bryston pre is not having a Phono. What should be the best Phono for this TT.

@ Malvai : I dont know why the gentle man was asking 25k for the 1100, but it looks very huge and the sound was good , but could not make a major difference between the 1300 and 1100.

@ Everyone: Kindly help me to get a Phono pre ASAP.

Regards and Thanks
Vijay.

Congrats on your purchase.

You could connect to the NAD 3020 phono, and then set the 3020 as a pre-amp, and connect its pre-out to one of the line inputs of your Bryston pre-amp. That way you can use your Bryston power amp and get the full impact of your system with the 1300.
And, by the way, the 3020 phono input is pretty decent, and should do just fine till you get a separate phonostage.
cheers!

Thanks G401 , I am connecting the TT to the NAD and the sound is something different from that of the CDP. Only problem is maintaining the TT and cleaning the records. But i think its worth doing these work to get good music. Got few LPs like Neil Diamond, Jim Reeves etc.,. I have the Imported CD of Neil Diamond but cant even compare with the Vinyl. The Vinyl sound is something to die for.

Now after listening to the Vinyl for a day, I have decided to upgrade my TT to the next level ( not now but after a couple of month). Today listening to sound of music. There are few scratches on the vinyl but still cant stop playing it.

One question : I just borrowed a Plinius 9200 from my friend, when i connect the Phono ground there is an option : to "chassis" and other one is "Open". Where should i connect the ground wire.

thanks in advance

Connect the ground wire to 'chassis', I guess. Never encountered the 'open' option on any other amp.
rgds

Connect the ground wire to 'chassis', I guess. Never encountered the 'open' option on any other amp.
rgds

Anyways, My friends has taken back his Plinius and now I am connecting the TT to the NAd 3020. ANy idea about how the CA , NAD or Project Phono will sound. which is better.

regards

Try getting Viren Bakshi to make you one...

I am currently listening to his phono stage, as I will be reviewing it against my Nighthawk. And i can tell you that it is REALLY REALLY worth every cent. It will be a one time buy, you can upgrade your cartridge, tone arm, turntable even. But this phonostage you'll end up keeping!

Try getting Viren Bakshi to make you one...

I am currently listening to his phono stage, as I will be reviewing it against my Nighthawk. And i can tell you that it is REALLY REALLY worth every cent. It will be a one time buy, you can upgrade your cartridge, tone arm, turntable even. But this phonostage you'll end up keeping!

Thanks Malvai, Any Idea about the Pricing.
TIA

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back