Technics 1300 TT

the nad 3020 has a more than decent phono stage...you mentioned 3020...the 3020 is not compatible with MM-type cartridges...try and check type your AT is....my brother has the 3020A and I have the 1020A (preamp section of the 3020A) and both have a switch to select between MM and MC cartridges...this is a key dependency!!

the nad 3020 has a more than decent phono stage...you mentioned 3020...the 3020 is not compatible with MM-type cartridges...try and check type your AT is....my brother has the 3020A and I have the 1020A (preamp section of the 3020A) and both have a switch to select between MM and MC cartridges...this is a key dependency!!

Hi Reuben

The Nad 3020i was Sold to a Gentleman and he is very happy with the amp as I was with it. Yes the Phono as well as the sound from the 3020 is something special. I am getting another Nad 3020i and a Rotel ( both has the Phono stage) , will check and post my reviews
The AT is a MM. Is there a difference between a MM and MC ( quality wise??)

regards

Hi Soundofmusic, from my personal experience, MM's are far superior....they have low outputs which ensure there is no input overload...however you'd need a pretty good phono stage to bring out the best in them...my NAD1020A has a capacitance selector which helps in matching my cartridge with my phonostage input to a certain extent...MCs are generally loud and have low fidelity :)

Hi Soundofmusic, from my personal experience, MM's are far superior....they have low outputs which ensure there is no input overload...however you'd need a pretty good phono stage to bring out the best in them...my NAD1020A has a capacitance selector which helps in matching my cartridge with my phonostage input to a certain extent...MCs are generally loud and have low fidelity :)

wow! you've completely re-defined thinking for the entire analogue universe! MC carts, my friend are usually vastly superior at detail retrieval. though, because of the ultra low output, they need to be paired with extremely good phono stages/step up devices...

though, the more recent and pricier MM's are as good as the MC's in the same range, they still are no comparision to the pricier MC's available... Just my two bits...

@ Malvai and Reuben

I am thinking of changing my MM cart for the entry level 1300, which cart is good for the technics TT. I am yet to buy a Phono preamp.

regards

For the Techics 1300, i'd recommend the SHURE M97xE. it is very very good. Its a MM cart, but is superb in all aspects.

Go for the phonostage made by Viren - Lyrita Audio. Its pretty pretty good.

hi...sorry about switching MC around with MM, i was a bit groggy when i wrote that....just replace MC with MM and likewise on my post, thanks for pointing this out

hi soundofmusic, depends on what kind of LPs you have....older ones or new ones...if your LPs are in good condition, the shure M97xe should be your absolute choice...but if your LPs are older and worn, I'd suggest you try the shure M44-7, its less expensive, delivers a higher output and has a coloured frequency response (the bass is tighter on the M44-7). DJs use these carts as they can play almost any kind of LP withouth skipping or skating...i have also used a vintage shure M75-6 (which is on my vintage Garrard SP25 MK1) with its original N75-6 stylus, it too, sounds outstanding...by the way, if you are on a budget, the M44-7 is less expensive.

From a phono stage perspective...i've all along used NAD...if you are on a budget, a decent NAD phono stage will suffice...you could even pick up an old NAD preamp or an integrated (and use its preamp stage) with good results...i use a NAD1020A which is the preamp section of the legendary NAD 3020A...I also have a NAD 106 preamp through which my Garrard connects...my primary turntable is a Technics SL3200

you may be able to save a few bucks by ordering abroad, provided you are visiting the united states...amazon ships for free...if you are ordering abroad with shipping to india, may cost you more than just buying one from india itself... :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back