Technics Sl-1700 - my first turn table

hi anand!

sorry, we do not carry shure. we sell the cartridges for project, i.e, ortofons and also sumiko.

regards,
abhishek.

thanks! I was completely set to buy the project, but thanks to metro I was able to visit this shop and I have picked one piece on impulse mostly. I hope it will turn out to be a good exp, otherwise all I have in my budget is project. BTW, do you carry shure 97 cart?

regards

More issues in my life - read ahead only if you want to:

ok - so I talked to the person who sold me the TT (several times over the phone) and as adviced, I took the headshell with cart to his shop. It played ok there. So he advised me to anyways buy a new cart for backup. I thought not a big issue, I can spend 1.2k as the cart sounded ok, given his system. I spent this money even though I am quite close to getting a shure m97xe cart fairly soon.
Now I brought back the cart fitted on the headshell, put it back on the arm and started the TT. It suddenly started behaving crazy! The platter would not spin, would just move half a centimeter in either direct. So to help it, I gave a friendly push and it did start rotating. But then, it rotated at varying speed, too fast for a couple of seconds, and then very slow. And this went in cycles. I was playing at 33 rpm. I was quite devastated at that point. I even called Viren and he could not help over the phone.
Instead of giving up, I thought why not try a 45rpm record. So I put the "Admi sadak ka" EP (that's the one on the top of the heap, and has the world famous song "aaj mere yaar ki shaadi hai..."). Well it played quite nicely.
Now I think the speed variation is gone. It is rotating super slow when I switch to 33 rpm. So much that Asha Bhosle sounds like a male singer with exceptionally heavy voice. It seems the speed variation issue is gone now, but the very slow speed on 33rpm is still there.
What do I do now? Another cry for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sell that table. Not worth hassle trying to get the table to play at proper speed etc.
Let Viren guide you to acquiring a new table since you guys know each other well (as you called him for help).

Just get an entry level table at a similar price point that is issue free. Make sure you take the advice of a knowledgeable person and hopefully even have that person come along when you make the purchase.

Preowned gear can be a delight or a curse. Do your homework and buy diligently to avoid pains like these.

Hi anant,
I think a turntable basically have some gear like mechanism inside.In my house I had a very old Philips TT which was not working. It was a direct drive TT. I just opened it to see what is the problem and I found one of rubber disc had become too brittle so the platter is not rotating. In your case there might be some problem with those rotating discs of various sizes inside. You can try lubricating them to see if it works. I am sure very experienced people like Rajiv will have more definite solution for you. If nothing works you can take this opportunity to open it up and see how a TT works.
Thanks.

thanks buddy! I am waiting for these guys to wake up.

Hi anant,
I think a turntable basically have some gear like mechanism inside.In my house I had a very old Philips TT which was not working. It was a direct drive TT. I just opened it to see what is the problem and I found one of rubber disc had become too brittle so the platter is not rotating. In your case there might be some problem with those rotating discs of various sizes inside. You can try lubricating them to see if it works. I am sure very experienced people like Rajiv will have more definite solution for you. If nothing works you can take this opportunity to open it up and see how a TT works.
Thanks.

Yes dude, it is too much of time and mental bandwidth consuming activity. New used table or new new table? New new tables are quite expensive, and I am not sure when will they too run into a similar issue.

Sell that table. Not worth hassle trying to get the table to play at proper speed etc.
Let Viren guide you to acquiring a new table since you guys know each other well (as you called him for help).

Just get an entry level table at a similar price point that is issue free. Make sure you take the advice of a knowledgeable person and hopefully even have that person come along when you make the purchase.

Preowned gear can be a delight or a curse. Do your homework and buy diligently to avoid pains like these.

Expend the energy to try and revive this one I guess. But it's also a good excuse to just get a new used table instead. Get something reliable and comfortable at your price point.

Anant,

In a direct drive, particularly the SL-1700, there are no gears, pulleys nothing. The platter has the pole pieces and is part of the motor. There must be some thing wrong with the electronics control in the turntable, or something wrong with the power supply circuit.

There are enough replacement boards and circuits available for SL-1700, but I am not sure if you are upto it. Ask Viren for advice and give it to service someone who can logically check the circuit.

THe circuit diagrams etc are available at vinylengine.

ALso check the auto stop/ auto return mechanism, may be there is something wrong in terms of micro-switch there.

CHeers.

How much is a Project Debut III in India?

It would be about 14-15k me thinks...

though, the SL 1700 is one helluava table...

@anm: It makes immense sense to revieve it. Lemme have a go at it when i'm in Delhi! Which is between 30th march and 7 apr... wot say?

@anm: It makes immense sense to revieve it. Lemme have a go at it when i'm in Delhi! Which is between 30th march and 7 apr... wot say?

Thanks M.
Probably i can invite over ANM when we are to cacth up or else can go to his place.

@anm
Where are u in Delhi?

anm
First clean the speed selector pot (if it has the rotary one type of selector) and pitch control pot. See if this helps.
Hiten

More issues in my life - read ahead only if you want to:

ok - so I talked to the person who sold me the TT (several times over the phone) and as adviced, I took the headshell with cart to his shop. It played ok there. So he advised me to anyways buy a new cart for backup. I thought not a big issue, I can spend 1.2k as the cart sounded ok, given his system. I spent this money even though I am quite close to getting a shure m97xe cart fairly soon.
Now I brought back the cart fitted on the headshell, put it back on the arm and started the TT. It suddenly started behaving crazy! The platter would not spin, would just move half a centimeter in either direct. So to help it, I gave a friendly push and it did start rotating. But then, it rotated at varying speed, too fast for a couple of seconds, and then very slow. And this went in cycles. I was playing at 33 rpm. I was quite devastated at that point. I even called Viren and he could not help over the phone.
Instead of giving up, I thought why not try a 45rpm record. So I put the "Admi sadak ka" EP (that's the one on the top of the heap, and has the world famous song "aaj mere yaar ki shaadi hai..."). Well it played quite nicely.
Now I think the speed variation is gone. It is rotating super slow when I switch to 33 rpm. So much that Asha Bhosle sounds like a male singer with exceptionally heavy voice. It seems the speed variation issue is gone now, but the very slow speed on 33rpm is still there.
What do I do now? Another cry for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anm,

first hold a competition. put your table and speakers together and tell them that whoever starts working first gets a prize!

seriously it should be easy to fix. first read up on how direct drives work, then how your particular table works and then you should have an idea of which part to check. lots of guides already give here. vinylengine's a good source too. most prob a rubber wheel or something driving the platter needs replacing or polishing up...?

regards

that sounds like a plan! It's not too far away either. You are invited.

thanks. How to clean it? Do I need to open up everything? I too think this could be an issue.
It is working quite fine for 45rpm

anm
First clean the speed selector pot (if it has the rotary one type of selector) and pitch control pot. See if this helps.
Hiten

Nice, so Metro can come to the rescue when time comes since its a straight line from Janakpuri till Noida now.

We can check on mutual schedules, since Malvai will be setting my TT up as well. So it could be wise to have you around as well, so that he can assess & operate on yours too. Rest we shall see how best it serves and suits.

I am in Noida, not too far from sec 18

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back