Technics Sl-1700 - my first turn table

Oooh exciting! Sid, bet your vinyl is ready to get spun on that new table. Put your best sounding interconnect between the table and the phono.

Yeah! but for now they are sitting like - 'another brick in the wall'
hope M's reading this note ... :D *devil's grin!

Best sounding interconnect *sigh! ok, shall rqst Mr. Viren for that as well, for now i just have DAC's signature connects.

thanks. How to clean it? Do I need to open up everything? I too think this could be an issue.
It is working quite fine for 45rpm
What I see From pics of SL-1700 on web, it has two knobs for pitch control and speed selection on left side. If you pull out plastic knob, pot will be visible. You can use any electronics switch cleaner like wd40 zorrik etc. Don't spray too much.

need to figure out where to buy it. Should I spray and then clean with a cloth? Sorry for noob questions.

What I see From pics of SL-1700 on web, it has two knobs for pitch control and speed selection on left side. If you pull out plastic knob, pot will be visible. You can use any electronics switch cleaner like wd40 zorrik etc. Don't spray too much.

janakpuri? I thought you were in ggaon?
Janakpuri is a no brainer even to drive to. My in laws live close by and I can always find time to go there - YKWIM.

Nice, so Metro can come to the rescue when time comes since its a straight line from Janakpuri till Noida now.

We can check on mutual schedules, since Malvai will be setting my TT up as well. So it could be wise to have you around as well, so that he can assess & operate on yours too. Rest we shall see how best it serves and suits.

need to figure out where to buy it. Should I spray and then clean with a cloth? Sorry for noob questions.
The cleaning content should reach tracks of the pot (If it has one because I have also seen push button type speed selector).
@anm: It makes immense sense to revieve it. Lemme have a go at it when i'm in Delhi! Which is between 30th march and 7 apr... wot say?
I think it would be better malvai handle this because, I am afraid of cleaning liquid reaching the power circuit etc.

janakpuri? I thought you were in ggaon?
Janakpuri is a no brainer even to drive to. My in laws live close by and I can always find time to go there - YKWIM.

Perfect!
So let Malvai speaketh about his ETA Delhi and then we can get together.

Gurgaon, we usually go over the weekends only.

wishes

wow! so you have a weekend house too!!
sometimes I feel I am stuck with stinking rich people who don't understand why someone would not spend 5 lakhs on a pair of speakers! just kidding ;)

Perfect!
So let Malvai speaketh about his ETA Delhi and then we can get together.

Gurgaon, we usually go over the weekends only.

wishes

it is a rotary speed selector. I pulled out the selector and can see the insides (pot).
Tonight again when I powered on the TT, the speed on 33rpm varied, but 45rpm played fine. I think after few min, the speed is stable on 33 too, but then it is too slow.

The cleaning content should reach tracks of the pot (If it has one because I have also seen push button type speed selector).

I think it would be better malvai handle this because, I am afraid of cleaning liquid reaching the power circuit etc.

ok - I looked at service manual and could not figure out much. so I opened the owner manual and it says if you are not able to control speed enough from the knobs, there is another two screws below the platter to control the switch. This sounded like good news and I was determined to carefully screw it. Oops I meant unscrew it.

So I found a small screwdriver. Pulled off the mat. Pulled the platter with less force, then with slightly more force - and ultimately the platter came off. I tried to find the screws but they were not visible. So I decided to unscrew another set of 4 screws that held back a thin metal plate. Removed it successfully. Below it I could see what those two screws for 33 and 45 are. First I adjusted them to the reverse direction of the knobs. Patiently screwed back the metal plate, then put back the platter, then rubber mat, played 45rpm - played perfect. Ok so I have not screwed up what was working. Tried 33rpm and it was slower. ok - so I now decided to turn it the other way round, the same direct as knobs outside. I kept the suspense for the last :)
Unscrewed everything, turned the screw anti clockwise, screwed back, and then put the platter, rubber mat and then played again. Well it did get a little faster, but still not listenable. So all effort gone waste. But the speed is slightly faster than earlier.
I then decided to measure how much difference is there in RPM. It is currently 25rpm (actually I counted for 2 mins and it came to 50 - to reduce least count error). At slowest pitch value (adjusted by the know on the top and the inner screw is still at max rpm) it is 24. Damn was it 24 or 22? Can't really recall. But the difference is quite audible - I tried giving the rotation a helping hand, by putting my finger on top of the record label, and helping in rotating faster. Did not take much help to reach the right speed.

So to summarize - nothing is solved as yet.

Good thing - Platter rotates quite smooth. Speed also seem to be stable. And the table can rotate faster - it works for 45rpm. So maybe some adjustment somewhere can make the platter rotate faster. The adjustment just needs to be pushed more.

Bad news - it doesn't work as yet. I don't know if I will be able to make it work.

Could the IC be out? I doubt the IC is out at it seems to work fine for 45rpm. Why I think so? Because the logic on the chip should be generic, and not rpm dependent. How much feedback current voltage is provided would control the pitch in %age relative terms. It could be a variable resistor that could be the problem? This is just a guess from an optimist who thinks his TT may work again, and from a pessimist who thinks engineers/ programmers won't bother writing logic for two different speeds.

ok - I looked at service manual and could not figure out much. so I opened the owner manual and it says if you are not able to control speed enough from the knobs, there is another two screws below the platter to control the switch. This sounded like good news and I was determined to carefully screw it. Oops I meant unscrew it.

So I found a small screwdriver. Pulled off the mat. Pulled the platter with less force, then with slightly more force - and ultimately the platter came off. I tried to find the screws but they were not visible. So I decided to unscrew another set of 4 screws that held back a thin metal plate. Removed it successfully. Below it I could see what those two screws for 33 and 45 are. First I adjusted them to the reverse direction of the knobs. Patiently screwed back the metal plate, then put back the platter, then rubber mat, played 45rpm - played perfect. Ok so I have not screwed up what was working. Tried 33rpm and it was slower. ok - so I now decided to turn it the other way round, the same direct as knobs outside. I kept the suspense for the last :)
Unscrewed everything, turned the screw anti clockwise, screwed back, and then put the platter, rubber mat and then played again. Well it did get a little faster, but still not listenable. So all effort gone waste. But the speed is slightly faster than earlier.
I then decided to measure how much difference is there in RPM. It is currently 25rpm (actually I counted for 2 mins and it came to 50 - to reduce least count error). At slowest pitch value (adjusted by the know on the top and the inner screw is still at max rpm) it is 24. Damn was it 24 or 22? Can't really recall. But the difference is quite audible - I tried giving the rotation a helping hand, by putting my finger on top of the record label, and helping in rotating faster. Did not take much help to reach the right speed.

So to summarize - nothing is solved as yet.

Good thing - Platter rotates quite smooth. Speed also seem to be stable. And the table can rotate faster - it works for 45rpm. So maybe some adjustment somewhere can make the platter rotate faster. The adjustment just needs to be pushed more.

Bad news - it doesn't work as yet. I don't know if I will be able to make it work.

Could the IC be out? I doubt the IC is out at it seems to work fine for 45rpm. Why I think so? Because the logic on the chip should be generic, and not rpm dependent. How much feedback current voltage is provided would control the pitch in %age relative terms. It could be a variable resistor that could be the problem? This is just a guess from an optimist who thinks his TT may work again, and from a pessimist who thinks engineers/ programmers won't bother writing logic for two different speeds.

Brotha! Those adjusting those two screws is like milking a witches tit! I have been down that road purty early on in my analogue journey. My advice: PLEASE DON"T DO anything more to it...

I solemnly promise to help you out with the TT as soon as I hit Delhi. PM me your name and no. Fast!

Brotha! Those adjusting those two screws is like milking a witches tit! I have been down that road purty early on in my analogue journey. My advice: PLEASE DON"T DO anything more to it...

I solemnly promise to help you out with the TT as soon as I hit Delhi. PM me your name and no. Fast!

LOL!!!!!! :lol:

sent the pm. I am scared!

sent the pm. I am scared!

Please don't be. Me thinks its a simple prob. But it needs to handled deftly or else the speed setting will go for a complete toss.

Will rectify it for you. Been thru it on a couple of occasions so have some experience with the Technics's speed control settings.

cool - good talking to you on the phone. My TT's TiTs are waiting to be milked.

Please don't be. Me thinks its a simple prob. But it needs to handled deftly or else the speed setting will go for a complete toss.

Will rectify it for you. Been thru it on a couple of occasions so have some experience with the Technics's speed control settings.

DAMN you all ..... more so Sidharth ....

Now, you guys have kind of forced me to open up everything. Would do so the moment I hit home ... should be in 5 hours time from now...

BTW, I checked out the pack this morning, which was 'storing' the LPs/vinyls for the last ..... I think, 25 years .... when we shifted to South Delhi from Karol Bagh in 1986. Bad news .... quite a few of them which were stacked naked w/o protection have developed cracks, now unusable. The ones with covers on plastic/cardboard paper or in album are in very good condition (few visible scratches though, very slight ones). So, effectively, my vintage vinyl collection now comes down to around 50.

So, now I would need to look at the 1962 model HMV (made in India) TT. Stored well. But, dust cover not there ... no sweat, can handle that. Have to check the motor and the electrical wires and, of course, the electro-mechanical circuitry. Dont know what I would do with the TT output...do not whether my Pioneer AVR has phono in OR would I require a pre-amp. This TT used to be connected straight to the aux of a sony orson amp (no longer operational). The TT has 4 speed settings, rotary control knob. Have to see whether that works or not ..... a lot of work :mad:

If, I am unable to sort out the above, THEN, what do I do ... who do I take this machine to?? I am sure the stylus (thats what you call it ... or is it the cartridge) would have been destroyed ... so, would need a replacement ... where from? .... 1962 model HMV ... would the new designs fit????

OR
easier still..... I can always buy a new 'TT with preamp built in' and feed to the AVR or the new Norge 1000 I am buying. Dangerously short of funds, and now this new madness. I know I am at fault ..... impulsiveness is a disease.

So, damn you guys again........

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back