Technics Sl-1700 - my first turn table

DAMN you all ..... more so Sidharth ....

Now, you guys have kind of forced me to open up everything. Would do so the moment I hit home ... should be in 5 hours time from now...

BTW, I checked out the pack this morning, which was 'storing' the LPs/vinyls for the last ..... I think, 25 years .... when we shifted to South Delhi from Karol Bagh in 1986. Bad news .... quite a few of them which were stacked naked w/o protection have developed cracks, now unusable. The ones with covers on plastic/cardboard paper or in album are in very good condition (few visible scratches though, very slight ones). So, effectively, my vintage vinyl collection now comes down to around 50.

So, now I would need to look at the 1962 model HMV (made in India) TT. Stored well. But, dust cover not there ... no sweat, can handle that. Have to check the motor and the electrical wires and, of course, the electro-mechanical circuitry. Dont know what I would do with the TT output...do not whether my Pioneer AVR has phono in OR would I require a pre-amp. This TT used to be connected straight to the aux of a sony orson amp (no longer operational). The TT has 4 speed settings, rotary control knob. Have to see whether that works or not ..... a lot of work :mad:

If, I am unable to sort out the above, THEN, what do I do ... who do I take this machine to?? I am sure the stylus (thats what you call it ... or is it the cartridge) would have been destroyed ... so, would need a replacement ... where from? .... 1962 model HMV ... would the new designs fit????

OR
easier still..... I can always buy a new 'TT with preamp built in' and feed to the AVR or the new Norge 1000 I am buying. Dangerously short of funds, and now this new madness. I know I am at fault ..... impulsiveness is a disease.

So, damn you guys again........

Dude,
look out for a pre-owned but working TT, for starters. I'm sure, if you're patient, something will come up. You can either ask the Norge guys to add a phono stage into their amp or buy one. there is a great phonostage that was put up shaizada. if you're look at vinyl for the long run i'd sriously recommend that you buy that!

A good Technics should cost you anything between 6-8k. Put a Shure M97xE cart+ stylus and you have something really great going for you. Or you could look at a Project Debut 3 or a RPM 1.3. They's be about 15-20k range and a real beauties.

Best of luck. Vinyl sounds better than CD on any day!

lol M, that was the last nail to the Coffin!
Seem that to our 'polite' brother here ..the upgrade bug has strucketh! :D

*ok ok i know whats to come again ....DAMN YOU GUYS!!:lol:

Dude,
look out for a pre-owned but working TT, for starters. I'm sure, if you're patient, something will come up. You can either ask the Norge guys to add a phono stage into their amp or buy one. there is a great phonostage that was put up shaizada. if you're look at vinyl for the long run i'd sriously recommend that you buy that!

A good Technics should cost you anything between 6-8k. Put a Shure M97xE cart+ stylus and you have something really great going for you. Or you could look at a Project Debut 3 or a RPM 1.3. They's be about 15-20k range and a real beauties.

Best of luck. Vinyl sounds better than CD on any day!

lol M, that was the last nail to the Coffin!
Seem that to our 'polite' brother here ..the upgrade bug has strucketh! :D

*ok ok i know whats to come again ....DAMN YOU GUYS!!:lol:

Bro! its a life changing moment for anyone when they decide to switch to analogue! And I for one (along with Shaizada) will encourage anyone to sit back and and sip the delights of vinyl!

DAMN ..here he is!
Who rubbed the freakin lamp? ..or in this case ...a Vinly!!!! :lol:

Typo! LoL... Vinly ke bache! Rub away dawg :p

By the way, since I will be coming to Delhi in October (MOST LIKELY), arrange a time everyone who has turntables to meet up. If you like, I can go over settings and check out the setup etc.
Try and help to optimize it, make sure cart is aligned perfectly, VTA, VTF and general leveling etc. Finally, best would be if we get a chance to listen and I can help tune by ear as well.

Sometimes a setup might get helped just by playing around with the VTF and VTA etc. I can at least try to help with what I know of setting stuff up.

Last edited:

By the way, since I will be coming to Delhi in October (MOST LIKELY), arrange a time everyone who has turntables to meet up. If you like, I can go over settings and check out the setup etc.
Try and help to optimize it, make sure cart is aligned perfectly, VTA, VTF and general leveling etc. Finally, best would be if we get a chance to listen and I can help tune by ear as well.

Sometimes a setup might get helped just by playing around with the VTF and VTA etc.

corrected and rubbin! lol

Sometimes a setup might get helped just by playing around with the VTF and VTA etc. I can at least try to help with what I know of setting stuff up.

DOC, you gotta spill the dates first! and dawgy, we be talkin 6 bloody months to go still! tu bhi na ..wtf.. lol
rest be assured that everyone having TT's shall be there for the life saving vaccination! ;)

Guys, spent the evening fiddling with the electro-mechanical gadget of 1962 make HMV (with sticker inside - model: 8160 Sr No. 08221 assembled from parts sourced from India & Great Britain) ... not a whisker of the dirty electronics in there.

Just had to unscrew the machine from a wooden cabinet, which once upon a time used to house a 21" TV (first B&W, then colour), a tube radio, the TT and a Funai VCP. The tube radio is gone, but the other two remain alongwith the TT.

The moment switched on the power after doing the basic connections, the thing came to life. Has 16 / 33 / 45 / 78 rpms. No way of knowing about the SQ since the cartridge/stylus is damaged ... unusable. Have to replace with new. The machine is getting 'food' after 26 years and responding with a slight hum during rotation which is understandable.... remember it the last time I saw it running .... say, 28 years ago.

The speed control is mechanical. Direct drive motor. The motor shaft end has 4 diameters cut on it. A rubber wheel is connected to the rotary speed control device which falls on the different dia. of the shaft for the required speed. This rubber wheel transfers the power from the direct drive motor shaft to the TT record bearing wheel .... finding it slightly difficult to explain, hope you guys get it. Have to accept that this design would remain flawless till a very long time as wear and tear of good quality rubber at such low RPM would take ages. This machine is almost half a century old now.

And yes, am looking for a ceramic cartridge for it. The broken piece that I took out of it reads CERAMIC WX 200. Anyone knows about this .....?

Am sure, would be able to hear something once this and the preamp thing has been worked out....

Guys, spent the evening fiddling with the electro-mechanical gadget of 1962 make HMV (with sticker inside - model: 8160 Sr No. 08221 assembled from parts sourced from India & Great Britain) ... not a whisker of the dirty electronics in there.

Just had to unscrew the machine from a wooden cabinet, which once upon a time used to house a 21" TV (first B&W, then colour), a tube radio, the TT and a Funai VCP. The tube radio is gone, but the other two remain alongwith the TT.

The moment switched on the power after doing the basic connections, the thing came to life. Has 16 / 33 / 45 / 78 rpms. No way of knowing about the SQ since the cartridge/stylus is damaged ... unusable. Have to replace with new. The machine is getting 'food' after 26 years and responding with a slight hum during rotation which is understandable.... remember it the last time I saw it running .... say, 28 years ago.

The speed control is mechanical. Direct drive motor. The motor shaft end has 4 diameters cut on it. A rubber wheel is connected to the rotary speed control device which falls on the different dia. of the shaft for the required speed. This rubber wheel transfers the power from the direct drive motor shaft to the TT record bearing wheel .... finding it slightly difficult to explain, hope you guys get it. Have to accept that this design would remain flawless till a very long time as wear and tear of good quality rubber at such low RPM would take ages. This machine is almost half a century old now.

And yes, am looking for a ceramic cartridge for it. The broken piece that I took out of it reads CERAMIC WX 200. Anyone knows about this .....?

Am sure, would be able to hear something once this and the preamp thing has been worked out....

It has a ceramic cartridge. what is the model no of your TT? will try and see how we can get this baby up and running for you!

Well, C.R Park is such a nice place!

Located a very small outlet who were very confident to set right my 1962 TT. Said, would add a pre-amp to it other than putting a stereo cartridge. The current damaged one is mono.

Asked for 7 days to check back. He did not look perturbed at seeing that yester-years outfit, commenting many Bongs (Bangali ... kangaali :p) possess such players here which come for repairs off and on. So, old TT ... no big deal.

Let me see how the work comes about. It might help many here who have settled for 'used' stuff and desperately seek 'some' back-up.

ok - so malvai was at my place today. He sifted through my clumsy stuff and tried to adjust the speed. It didn't help - seems there is some problem in the circuit with 33 rpm. The speed controls are not responding.
avidyarthy - can you please give me the number of the CR park guy?
It was a great pleasure to meet him. He was very focused on problem at hand, and would not sit before he had spent a good hour or so trying to fix the issue. He was in a hurry. Hope to meet him again soon.

Kalam - 9868587180
Somen Electronic
F-1185, C.R Park

Very simple guy ...... might hit the roof if spoken to in English. I would suggest wait a bit more till my thing is delivered. Let me see what quality of work has been achieved.

Don't want a fellow member here to burn his finger with a more-up-to-date equipment than mine.

ok - this guy has fixed my TT too. The speed is now bang on after changing the pots. Recommended to clean records using fevicol method. Does not know all audiophile stuff but I think he has a decent knowledge. There was another guy who came to his shop - another electrician and he knew quite a lot about tube amps/ pre amps (I carried my lyrita pre for testing).

So guys, it's time now to put the shure m97xe cart - this cart is already so special - mbr carried it for me from the US, another friend purchased and there are so many incidents to talk about this over beer :)

Here goes the list of adjustments required, as per my little research:

1. VTF (sounds close to WTF) - this is the weight with which stylus presses the record. I have purchased SGF-2 stylus force gauge. I think I will adjust with the brush down. 1.5 gm weight??

2. overhang

3. alignment (aren't 2&3 same?) with protractors.

4. VTA - not sure how to do this on 1700. Seems impossible?

5. azimuth - no idea how to do this.

Please add more. I think I shall start a new thread, as it may help others too to adjust cart.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back