Telome Amplifiers.

tuff

hey guys, I came across this power amp from Telome Audio. Any one has any experience with it? I am looking at this power amp.
POW 8200

spec's look decent for my untrained eyes.

Hi

It is a decent power amp which is made in india by Telome who are based in Bandra....

There are similar power amps from Studio Master, P Audio etc... all available at Lamington Road....check with Dev Electronics....near the GRant Road flyover near the station East

Would it be considered on par with say Norge amps. or rather can they be used in HiFI.
Basically i am looking to get a power amp for Magnepans, as my Peachtree decco can be used as a preamp. but 50 watts seems to be the weakness with Peachtree to drive the maggies.

The cheapest marantz at 62k wont support 4 ohms speakers. so it is out.
I need power amp that will only give clean power at 120 watts X4 ohms.

The cheapest marantz at 62k wont support 4 ohms speakers. so it is out.
I need power amp that will only give clean power at 120 watts X4 ohms.
Why are you then even considering the Telome 8200 that does not do 120 W? You should be considering the 8400, no?

Also take a look at Pulz amplifiers. They are much underrated/non-rated and are built like a tank. Not much in the cosmetics department though.

Please check the power ratings as well Companies are notorious to inflate power ratings.

Once I saw their crude copy of Bose acoustimass speakers in a cafeteria and they were not good.

Why are you then even considering the Telome 8200 that does not do 120 W? You should be considering the 8400, no?

Also take a look at Pulz amplifiers. They are much underrated/non-rated and are built like a tank. Not much in the cosmetics department though.
Thanks , i am looking at them also:eek:hyeah:

In the process of researching it seems pro amps beat home audio power amps hands down when it comes to 2/4 ohm loads and clean power. Also added plus is they are much cheaper than power amps for home. They sure suck at "looks" department, but that doesn't bother me. i am reading up on some comparisons by Crown amplifiers vs likes of Bryston amps. Some have revealing information. Will post once i am through reading it.

I am not technically proficient when it comes to amplifiers, but here is a link for measurements taken by Stereophile for the Crown amplifier. They seems to be quite impressed with it.
Crown Macro Reference power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

The last post in the thread indicates a class ab is planned.
yes. Thanks for the head's up. Will keep an eye out.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a professional amp. its not made to suit home use. you will perhaps get big sounds, but musicality is lost. i have gone down that route and imo it these amps dont suit home needs. unless your need is mainly for parties etc and not everyday listening

this is a professional amp. its not made to suit home use. you will perhaps get big sounds, but musicality is lost. i have gone down that route and imo it these amps dont suit home needs. unless your need is mainly for parties etc and not everyday listening
Yes i have been warned about that. The exception seems to Crown XLS drivecore series amps, that people are using for home audio with high end speakers. There are a few forum members on Audioholics who are quite happy with them. Speakers like Revel Salon2, Magnepans, which amazed me. The specs are decent in comparison to most AB amps. apparently the fans never turn on unless you drive them to insane levels, making them fan less which is great .Class D amplification means easy on the power bill too.
I am 90% sold but will make a decision by Monday whether to go with it.

Yes i have been warned about that. The exception seems to Crown XLS drivecore series amps, that people are using for home audio with high end speakers. There are a few forum members on Audioholics who are quite happy with them. Speakers like Revel Salon2, Magnepans, which amazed me. The specs are decent in comparison to most AB amps. apparently the fans never turn on unless you drive them to insane levels, making them fan less which is great .Class D amplification means easy on the power bill too.
I am 90% sold but will make a decision by Monday whether to go with it.

tuff dont make the mistake of going by specs / fan not coming on / power consumption etc. these dont really matter. what matters is whether it sounds good, and is able to drive your speakers.

what speakers are you using in your setup / room size / what sort of music do you listen to. imo dont jump into this decision. i would definitely not buy that amp without listening to it first

I have Magnepan MC1 driven by Peachtree decco65 with built in ESS Sabre 9023 DAC.
I dont listen to bass heavy music like RAP or techno but everything else from Indian classical to rock/pop.
The idea is to supplement the Peachtree as it has preamp out and get the power section offloaded to crown. So sound signature should not change except for more mid-range and bass frequencies. Most Crown users have noticed significant improvement in the bass section being tighter.
I feel the decco 65 does a fine job but cant really push the Magnepans beyond in lower frequency sections .

from what i understand you feel the lack of bass in your setup? thats not an amp issues - its a classical magnepan characteristic. the ribbon / flat speakers do not reproduce bass well. changing your amp is not going to solve that. the main benefit of ribbon speakers is the musicality that it gives out. in all probability you will lose that musicality with the introduction of a professional amp. you will definitely get a change in the sound signature. sound signature is more defined by the power section rather than the pre section.

from what i understand you feel the lack of bass in your setup? thats not an amp issues - its a classical magnepan characteristic. the ribbon / flat speakers do not reproduce bass well. changing your amp is not going to solve that. the main benefit of ribbon speakers is the musicality that it gives out. in all probability you will lose that musicality with the introduction of a professional amp. you will definitely get a change in the sound signature. sound signature is more defined by the power section rather than the pre section.
Not 'Lack of bass' but rather the balance. If I crank up the volume to say 1o'clock, they give better bass, but they roll off on the bottom end if i go to 11o'clock. The Maggi's being power hungry, may benefit from the extra wattage into 4ohms.

I thought Pre-amps are the one's that define sound signature and power amps are simply to amplify.

I thought Pre-amps are the one's that define sound signature and power amps are simply to amplify.

well not really. the pre amp just conditions / prepares the signal for further amplification. it gets the signal upto certain values for the power amp to amplify. it is during the amplification that colouring etc happens. a good power amp will amplify the signal exactly the way it receives it. when its not so good, colouring happens, sounds are distorted / lost etc

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back