Test tracks for checking soundstage and depth in speaker setup

vbutani

I recently added Pegasus R2R dac in my speakers setup.
Please advise some test tracks to check soundstage and depth in my setup.
Thanks.

(All are jazz / vocal jazz )

Time Out : Brubeck
Wild Garden : Josefine Cronholm
Way Out West : Sonny Rollins
Getz/Gilberto
Pithecanthropus Erectus : Mingus
Bitches Brew : Davis

By chance any Bollywood tracks which can be tested as well?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

It’s best to check one’s setup using tracks from the genre one listens to. Audiophile reference discs are therefore not very useful IMHO.
For Bollywood my choice of tracks would be Shaan and Rocky (RD Burman ). Especially the tracks Doston Se Pyar Kiya and Kya Yehi Pyar Hain.

In the track Kya Yehi Pyar Hain , if your speakers are accurately setup , Kishore and Lata’s voice at the beginning would come from the space between the centre and right for Kishore , and between centre and left (for Lata ).
And then in the mukhda their voices come from exactly the centre.

It’s best to check one’s setup using tracks from the genre one listens to. Audiophile reference discs are therefore not very useful IMHO.
For Bollywood my choice of tracks would be Shaan and Rocky (RD Burman ). Especially the tracks Doston Se Pyar Kiya and Kya Yehi Pyar Hain.

In the track Kya Yehi Pyar Hain , if your speakers are accurately setup , Kishore and Lata’s voice at the beginning would come from the space between the centre and right for Kishore , and between centre and left (for Lata ).
This is what I am looking for.
This will help me test my system with given references.

Please share more whenever possible which will help me a lot.
I never heard these tracks on my system but as per your experience it seems they're good quality recordings.
I will share my experience later.
Thanks.

Another one is the last two pieces of Kabhi To Nazar Milao album of Adnan Sami and Asha .

Second last piece Kabhi To Nazar Milao unplugged by Asha is an excellent piece with the guitar, piano and Ashaji.

And the last piece Bheegi, bheegi raaton mein by Adnan - again no other orchestra so locating singer and instrument is easy.

Beck - Morning (Album: Morning Phase)
Song starts with guitar on left side, bass drum between center and right speaker with constant placement till end of the song. Initial vocal comes from center and later on with chorus from slight between center and right.
Please let me know if any other references to be checked. Thanks.

Kya yahi pyar hai! Amazing music arrangement! This track sounds exactly as you mentioned in my setup with good instruments placement and separation.

Any specific references for Doston se pyar kiya - Shaan track?

Another one is the last two pieces of Kabhi To Nazar Milao album of Adnan Sami and Asha .

Second last piece Kabhi To Nazar Milao unplugged by Asha is an excellent piece with the guitar, piano and Ashaji.

And the last piece Bheegi, bheegi raaton mein by Adnan - again no other orchestra so locating singer and instrument is easy.
I tried Bheegi bheegi raaton main unplugged song and as you mentioned it has good instruments separation

Some issues in my mac, I can't find lossless option in playback settings in the apple music app in osx.
Mac is crazy. If you have an ipad or iphone that will be better. The Music app on mac is total shit. Please run audio midi app to setup your dac. It may display some wierd name for your DAC in some cases. E.g for one of my dac it displays speaker. Choose the sample rate at which the song is playing. I have got tired of changing the sample rate every time an album changes. So I keep it at 192 kHz.

1654443059538.png

Kya yahi pyar hai! Amazing music arrangement! This track sounds exactly as you mentioned in my setup with good instruments placement and separation.

Any specific references for Doston se pyar kiya - Shaan track?
Then your speakers are aligned perfectly, rest easy.
The track from Shaan is one of the most well recorded in the history of Bollywood recordings. Amazing panning from left to right and vice versa (gives you an idea of soundstage width ) , with depth of bass and superb dynamic range. (Of course I’m talking about the first pressing LP , in CDs/ streaming the dynamic range is much less. ).

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back