The Bargain Hunter's subwoofer ...

has anyone tried using the ahuja L12-MB200?
I'm doing some experimenting with it for open baffle use, but hey, a 12 inch pro sub with a decent LF response for 2K sounds like a decent deal?
http://www.ahujaradios.co.in/Document/0-d2-L12-MB200_SP.pdf
paired with a L25D/L20D and an MDF sounds like a lot of bang for buck?

I know two FMs (both of them are not much active these days) made their dipoles using Ahuja 12FRX drivers and paired them with some 100-150w class ab amps. I know they were very much satisfied with the end result.

I believe Ahuja 12"/15" with l20d/l25d would be an excellent combo.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I went with the LF12 because it has much better usable LF compared to the FRX
Right now testing/building with my SMSL SA98e, but may have to upgrade if i find its not able to drive it!

I went with the LF12 because it has much better usable LF compared to the FRX
Right now testing/building with my SMSL SA98e, but may have to upgrade if i find its not able to drive it!
That's great. Please share your experience once it is complete.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

Sorry about that, however, on check out two of the subs come to a total of about $133 and $122 respectively which works out to about Rs 8845/- and Rs 8114/- in INR (Exchange Rs 66.51) :)

Both are 8 inch subs and the specs seem decent.

There is a Polk Audio PSW10 which also works to about Rs 18000/-.

Last edited:
Sorry about that, however, on check out two of the subs come to a total of about $133 and $122 respectively which works out to about Rs 8845/- and Rs 8114/- in INR (Exchange Rs 66.51) :)

Both are 8 inch subs and the specs seem decent.

There is a Polk Audio PSW10 which also works to about Rs 18000/-.

Why go to that trouble? PSW 10 listed for 18500 in profx
Product Detail - PROFX

I have a Yamaha YST-FSW050 for sale. In case anyone interested.

Sent from a handheld device. Some typos may creep in

My room is open on 1 side so the right speaker does not get a side wall while the Left speaker side wall are actually large windows and i use thick curtains as support for audio and for ambience.

You can see pics of my room in So whats in a Naim thread..

This flooring is also hard - like many Mumbai flats and i have to live with this.

I try and use a carpet when i can.

So given these constraints i have different challenges as compared to others.

I run standmount speakers and sometimes i sit on a sofa which is some distance away and i wondered if the 10 inch subwoofer was adequate to pressurize the room

Ideally i would want another subwoofer with the same driver and the plate amp Hypex DS 4.0

Unfortunately the Dayton driver is not in stock in India and Hypex has discontinued the DS 4.0 model and introduced something else in its place.

No luck with pre-loved either.

As such i mentioned earlier i am in a happy space but i wanted to carry out the additional sub experiment.

Reading forums and exchanging mails with HumbleHomemade Hifi in Holland led me to the idea of using a much larger subwoofer driver, with higher sensitivity but which would be compatible with my Hypex DS 4.0 plate amplifier.

So i can just buy the driver ( locally ) and make a cabinet and plank the Hypex DS 4.0 and wait with fingers crossed.. ;)

The suggested drives was the Faitalpro 18XL1800 - 8 ohm version

There is an India distributor for Faitalpro in delhi but they had the 18XL1600 - 8 ohm

The 1600 and 1800 refer to the power handling of the driver

After 2 emails i decided to buy the Faitalpro 18XL1600 - actually HumbleHomemade hifi thought the 1600 would be actually more suited and a tad faster than the 1800 version

So here i am - i have started this small project and hope to complete in 2 weeks..

The internal volume will be about 150 liters ( approx 22.50 x 21 x 19.40 )

Those of you who are technically inclined can look up the data sheet from Faitalpro website.

I was encouraged by the fact that i am informed that there are 3-4 DiYérs in Holland who have made a stereo sub with this particular driver and the results are very good.

This sub wont do extremely deep bass but i suppose will support the mains better and give me more bass pressure in my room

Maybe i might see if i could do a MiniDSP and feed the sub only signale below 55 Hz or something - but thats for later day.

There will be a re-organization of the locations of my hardware to fit the sub and i think the size will be quite imposing.

I dont know what the end outcome will be but in any case i will have the option to revert back should i need to.

I ask myself - why i do all this and i really dont have an answer.

I will try to put up build pics as and when i can.

Best regards
mpw

My room is open on 1 side so the right speaker does not get a side wall while the Left speaker side wall are actually large windows and i use thick curtains as support for audio and for ambience.

You can see pics of my room in So whats in a Naim thread..

This flooring is also hard - like many Mumbai flats and i have to live with this.

I try and use a carpet when i can.

So given these constraints i have different challenges as compared to others.

I run standmount speakers and sometimes i sit on a sofa which is some distance away and i wondered if the 10 inch subwoofer was adequate to pressurize the room

Ideally i would want another subwoofer with the same driver and the plate amp Hypex DS 4.0

Unfortunately the Dayton driver is not in stock in India and Hypex has discontinued the DS 4.0 model and introduced something else in its place.

No luck with pre-loved either.

As such i mentioned earlier i am in a happy space but i wanted to carry out the additional sub experiment.

Reading forums and exchanging mails with HumbleHomemade Hifi in Holland led me to the idea of using a much larger subwoofer driver, with higher sensitivity but which would be compatible with my Hypex DS 4.0 plate amplifier.

So i can just buy the driver ( locally ) and make a cabinet and plank the Hypex DS 4.0 and wait with fingers crossed.. ;)

The suggested drives was the Faitalpro 18XL1800 - 8 ohm version

There is an India distributor for Faitalpro in delhi but they had the 18XL1600 - 8 ohm

The 1600 and 1800 refer to the power handling of the driver

After 2 emails i decided to buy the Faitalpro 18XL1600 - actually HumbleHomemade hifi thought the 1600 would be actually more suited and a tad faster than the 1800 version

So here i am - i have started this small project and hope to complete in 2 weeks..

The internal volume will be about 150 liters ( approx 22.50 x 21 x 19.40 )

Those of you who are technically inclined can look up the data sheet from Faitalpro website.

I was encouraged by the fact that i am informed that there are 3-4 DiYérs in Holland who have made a stereo sub with this particular driver and the results are very good.

This sub wont do extremely deep bass but i suppose will support the mains better and give me more bass pressure in my room

Maybe i might see if i could do a MiniDSP and feed the sub only signale below 55 Hz or something - but thats for later day.

There will be a re-organization of the locations of my hardware to fit the sub and i think the size will be quite imposing.

I dont know what the end outcome will be but in any case i will have the option to revert back should i need to.

I ask myself - why i do all this and i really dont have an answer.

I will try to put up build pics as and when i can.

Best regards
mpw
subscribed.

The speaker driver radiating area is quite large

Sd for 18XL1600 = 1124 sq cm - as per datasheet

Sd for my current Dayton RSS265HF-4 is 325 sq cm

The Faitalpro has about 3.46 times more radiating area at a sensitivity 98 dB

so i wanted to ask about the breakin time for the bass driver and here is the response i got from Faitalpro
===================================================================================

Yes, the speakers will sound better after a break in period.

I would recommend playing your favourite music and different volume levels for about an hour, the let the speaker cool down.

Repeat this a few times and it will help everything settle and break in.

==============================================================================================

I have seen your room pics in the other thread, and there seems to be lot of open space in the room..

I know this might sound weird, but what if you can mount the sub on ceiling right above your listening position, with the driver firing downwards.. This way the distance to sub is greatly reduced and the subs should be approx 6ft above your ear at the listening position, resulting in much more perceived SPL at your listening position.. Bass shower :) ..

I have seen your room pics in the other thread, and there seems to be lot of open space in the room..

I know this might sound weird, but what if you can mount the sub on ceiling right above your listening position, with the driver firing downwards.. This way the distance to sub is greatly reduced and the subs should be approx 6ft above your ear at the listening position, resulting in much more perceived SPL at your listening position.. Bass shower :) ..
i thought bass was omni directional...

so we will still be showered where-ever we sit.. :)

i thought bass was omni directional...

It is at-least upto 80Hz.. But i have been trying some higher crossover..

so we will still be showered where-ever we sit.. :)

At-least at your listening position..

I have mounted 4 subs (passive) to ceiling and it sounds really good.. Hence the suggestion to you, to try if you like this idea..

It is at-least upto 80Hz.. But i have been trying some higher crossover..

At-least at your listening position..

I have mounted 4 subs (passive) to ceiling and it sounds really good.. Hence the suggestion to you, to try if you like this idea..

not possible for me..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back