The Bargain Hunter's subwoofer ...

Started playing Vikku Vinayakram ( ghatam ) and 3 mins into the track I realised something was missing.

The sub woofer was off !

Is this what they mean by missing the subwoofer
When off ?

;)

Regards

Not really but you are getting there. ..when it's on you should only barely hear it but when it's off you miss it..thats the combo that's really the tough part to get right :).

Thanks arj..

Have been using the sub for a week now and soon it will be time to do the finishing on it.

I got a set of 4 footers too which i plan to try out.

I do have to try some phase adjustment on the sub woofer and this means i will have to download frequency signals from 120 hz downwards and adjust the phase potentiometer for maximum output.

I dont think i have any filing to do inside the subwoofer.

regards

Thanks arj..

Have been using the sub for a week now and soon it will be time to do the finishing on it.

I got a set of 4 footers too which i plan to try out.

I do have to try some phase adjustment on the sub woofer and this means i will have to download frequency signals from 120 hz downwards and adjust the phase potentiometer for maximum output.

I dont think i have any filing to do inside the subwoofer.

regards

approximately put it at the -10db Point of the speaker and then work your way below for now (should be 35-40Hz)
1. First find the right spot- put the sub where you sit and move around (ideally crawling !) find the place it is Loudest. at the spot move your head..sometimes Subs perform better at a slight height from the ground as I found out
2. Now in that position increase the volume and then keep changing the phase till you get the point is its the Loudest
3. Now change the crossover till the midrange suddenly Locks in - this is complex as it may also involve changing the angle of the Sub
4. it is only now that you change the volume so that the sound is Just right

3,4 are the most difficult to do but to do that right you need 1 and 2 to be the most optimal.

Great ! Hope you've been able to integrate your sub well.
So getting a second one as well?
All the best
Cheers

approximately put it at the -10db Point of the speaker and then work your way below for now (should be 35-40Hz)
1. First find the right spot- put the sub where you sit and move around (ideally crawling !) find the place it is Loudest. at the spot move your head..sometimes Subs perform better at a slight height from the ground as I found out
2. Now in that position increase the volume and then keep changing the phase till you get the point is its the Loudest
3. Now change the crossover till the midrange suddenly Locks in - this is complex as it may also involve changing the angle of the Sub
4. it is only now that you change the volume so that the sound is Just right

3,4 are the most difficult to do but to do that right you need 1 and 2 to be the most optimal.

arj

in my home, the sub position will be rather fixed at where it is due to non audio reasons :)

but its ok... will try to maximize what i've got.

It plays quite nicely and makes its presence felt just about so i guess in am OK with this.

anyways i am a bit on the heavier side for all the crawling :lol:

I do plan to play with the phase settings at the present position though ...just for kicks..

Great ! Hope you've been able to integrate your sub well.
So getting a second one as well?
All the best
Cheers

thanks neo..

I think on your next visit, we will try playing the Isao Suzuki - Orangutan..

should be fun ;)

had a wonderful music session last night. Dave was home.

Played all sorts of music and it was a simply magical experience.

On the Record player ;)

Deep Purple - Live in Japan
AC DC - Back in Black
Eva Cassidy - Songbird

The CDP belted out

Nils Lofgren
Rockstar
Seal - Hits of
No doubt
Kayhan Kalhor - Ghazal
Joe Satriani

All i can say is i think i have lucked out.

Dabbled with speaker positioning by an inch or two and all in all we hardly knew when it was 11 pm.

It was surreal with only the lights on the SL 1210 and the Green eyes of the Naims... and AC DC to end it all..

Many of us "stereophiles" :lol: think 2.0 is the purest form of music.... but i do have something to say on this ;-

a. It is very important to experience the whole spectrum of music from 35 Hz / 40 Hz upwards. Most stand-mounts typically bottom out at about 65 Hz and that leaves a nice gap in the music reproduction at home.

It can be argued that you are not listening to what the artist intended to reproduce - unless you listen to the full spectrum.

This does not make Floor standers any better though.

I would prefer a good standmount doing its job and a sub to take over the lower frequencies. Others may disagree - and they are entitled to their PoV.

Even with a FS, a sub would bring up the lows nicely. The overall effect is to make the speakers / sound relaxed.

b. Keeping room size in mind, a pair of Standmounts or even a pair of Floorstanders are best augmented by a sealed subwoofer.

In smaller rooms, go for a smaller subwoofer - but go for a subwoofer.

c. Once you experience music in its full glory - it is best to improvise or add or delete whatever ( software / hardware / change source / dacs / experiment with whatever new gimmicks out there )

d, Importantly - Music at home can be defined to be the degree of acceptance of imperfections. There is no such thing as perfection ( in audio reproduction at home. I mean of a normal Mumbai household )

Its a mirage - the more you chase it... the more it goes away.

But there is such a thing as the endless quest for it ( perfection ) though. The only gainers of uncontrolled quest for perfection are the manufacturers and ones ego.

I vividly remember as myself being int eh elitist school of thought about the purity of stereo in 2.0 but after having experience what a good sub can do to my room, i have moved on i think more towards enjoying the music and not bother about perfection too much except to make sure that a trumpet sounds like a trumpet ( or very nearly ) :lol:

Bobby Palkovic's lines ring true - " If you are considering an older VSM because it has more bass than a TSM, consider the Black Magic TSM and a sub-woofer. You may find you are much further ahead "

My rig is not perfect but it is vastly enjoyable now.

have a good weekend !

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
How have you connected the sub to your amp using high level speakers connections or does your amp has sub out?

high level speakers connections

Even I wanted to do but my living room conditions are not permitting to put the sub at the required position that I am using the Jamo sub (basic HT sub) as I do not have a sub out on my amp and hence need to run 2 pairs of speaker cables. Looking at your build I think I should also consider and some how manage to convince my wife to accept another sub in the room ;)

Even I wanted to do but my living room conditions are not permitting to put the sub at the required position that I am using the Jamo sub (basic HT sub) as I do not have a sub out on my amp and hence need to run 2 pairs of speaker cables. Looking at your build I think I should also consider and some how manage to convince my wife to accept another sub in the room ;)

A visit to Mumbai with your dear wife, manniraj, would be ideal :D
What say, mpw?

Nice going MPW you are now the messiah of 2 channel nirvana for bargain hunters, the new guru in town :clapping::yahoo::clapping:
Awesome wonder when can i hear it?
all the best.
Cheers

:cheers:
you are now the messiah of 2 channel nirvana for bargain hunters, the new guru in town :clapping::yahoo::clapping:

weather guru or god or not - is your view ;)

when you are in mumbai next... you know which buttons to press on your mobile

:cheers:

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen to that. I've been a string believer in this for the past 15 years after I got my fist sub up and running, and have followed my own counsel despite what the so called "purists" say. In the end, to each his own!

Many of us "stereophiles" think 2.0 is the purest form of music.... but i do have something to say on this ;-

a. It is very important to experience the whole spectrum of music from 35 Hz / 40 Hz upwards. Most stand-mounts typically bottom out at about 65 Hz and that leaves a nice gap in the music reproduction at home.

It can be argued that you are not listening to what the artist intended to reproduce - unless you listen to the full spectrum.

This does not make Floor standers any better though.

I would prefer a good standmount doing its job and a sub to take over the lower frequencies. Others may disagree - and they are entitled to their PoV.

Even with a FS, a sub would bring up the lows nicely. The overall effect is to make the speakers / sound relaxed.

Even with a FS, a sub would bring up the lows nicely. The overall effect is to make the speakers / sound relaxed.[/B]

+1 to that. I am a stern believer of 2.2.

thank you for going thru my thread. I took out the pics as i was falling short on my assigned memory space on the forum.

if you need any specific info - please ask and i will try to answer to the best i can and other experienced DiYrs can chip in as well.

thank you for going thru my thread. I took out the pics as i was falling short on my assigned memory space on the forum.

if you need any specific info - please ask and i will try to answer to the best i can and other experienced DiYrs can chip in as well.

I'm sure you'll have heard of photo hosting sites like tinypic.com, postimg.cc, imgur.com

This sale thread has pics in postimg.cc

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back