The Bargain Hunter's subwoofer ...

i have set the CROSSOVER DEFEAT to ON and allowing the sub to play full range without the Hypex DS4.0 plate amp cutting the signal at the crossover point set...

hopefully this will help with the driver freeing up..

as such pro drivers see very less use in a home environment as compared to a professional setting where they are played lots more and the free up time is earlier..

regards

Those of you interested in subwoofers may find the below text very useful. Sent to me by a hugely experienced DiY''er

I am humbled to have interacted with many such folks who have offered help.

Thanks to all of them.

Best regards

===========================================================================
Hi ________

Thanks for the update.

Yes, these PA drivers take a long time to burn-in.

When used in a hifi system, they hardly have to do anything.

Burn-in can be speeded up by playing loud, bass heavy music but your neighbours might not appreciate it ;-)

As initial settings for the DS4.0 I would try the following:

1. Set EQ frequency to "nine o'clock".
2. Set EQ level to 6dB.
3. Set Crossover to "three o'clock".
4. Set phase switch to zero and then dial in the phase until the sub sounds the loudest at the listening position.
5. Adjust volume to taste.

To fine-tune the sub after it has burnt-in (could take several weeks) experiment with points 3 and 5.

Best regards,
===========================================================================

here are some impressions - i have about 15 hours on the Big sub we played some LF heavy tracks yesterday

Shakira / Daft Punk / No doubt / Enya..

some Rush - Tom Sawyer - raise a glass to the late drummer Neil Peart..

the sub is big visually
but doesnt announce itself sonically
no boom boom
just merges with the music
adds body & scale
no presence in the lowest LF ie this is not a 30 Hz sub..

in my room there is a corner where i get maximum LF but shifting the sub there is a task in itself - there is another spot - a nul:cool:l spot too

But if you know where to sit - its a most enjoyable experience indeed..:)

maybe when some other folks come home - they can probably be more descriptive. and more useful for the reader.

Yesterday we played with the little brother - Naim nait 5i-2 - it was in hibernation for some months and i wanted to give it a spin..

I guess this project has got me to where i visualised i wanted to be with this large sub so i think its a success in many ways.

some pics

the crossover setting on the subwoofer amp Hypex DS4.0
the teddy bear in the corner enjoys the hot seat for the best LF :cool:

crossover1.jpg
teddy.jpg

regards

Attachments

• crossover1.jpg
    crossover1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
some readers might find this comment useful..

The sub will do sub 30Hz if the EQ level is set to 6dB. You might have to adjust the volume accordingly if it doesn't merge as well.

And with more time on the sub (like 50 hours), the lowest octave should also become stronger. Fresh out of the box it's fs is most likely closer to 40Hz than 30Hz.

All rooms have maximum (where in phase standing waves add up) and minimum (where out of phase waves cancel each other) sound pressure points.

I would keep the sub away from corners, although it is the position in a room where there is the most bass energy, it is also where room nodes are excited the easiest. It might work but the max and min points in the room will also become stronger.

The current position should be fine.

regards

here are some impressions -

some pics

View attachment 42554
View attachment 42555

regards
Today got the chance to listen the big subwoofer.
Well to start with, we played "Mary black columbus" and my first impression, something not correct.We tried few other CDs and same result, why its not sounding the way I expected. Mahesh also started thinking,every thing was sounding perfect till last night and why the sudden change? Oops we got the reason, the giant SW was not turned on :}. By the time we were having some conclusions from wiring to other theories and after simply turning it on, all set to go.
I must admit that this 18in SW is the main heart of Mahesh"s stereo system. It not only blended beautifully with Merlin speakers but also filled Mahesh"s Living room in much better way than last time I visited.
We did play with many other tracks from soft music, Jazz, to Tabala and the presence of SW was making huge difference.Bigger driver is not about just loudness,but the clean bass notes in music which a bookshelf speaker may miss many times.SW thump and fatigue free bass response was clearly apparent. Without Sub, we really missed some thickness in vocals too.The room treatment done by Mahesh must be helping SW to express well.There were multiple sweet spots now for listening unlike last time.
Enjoyed 2 musical hours much which we spent. Great work Mahesh and I will say you hunted well.
Finally Listening Is Believing.

@spirovious

Luckily i noticed the sub power switch was in OFF position..

:)

It was great to have you over once again and i must say you have keen ears and a good head to express what you initially heard.

Correct feedback is essential to improving audio rig at home.

I got lucky in many ways in this build...its nice to meet people in person and also there are a few folks on the internet who gave me correct advise and i simply followed them without deviation.

I must also thank my carpenter who is by now experienced to know what to do.

We can guide a build but the actual hands to execute must be skilled too :)

In a way - its his build with my "knowledge"

so cheers to him..

Thank you once again..for your compliments.

Best regards

here are some impressions - i have about 15 hours on the Big sub we played some LF heavy tracks yesterday

Shakira / Daft Punk / No doubt / Enya..

some Rush - Tom Sawyer - raise a glass to the late drummer Neil Peart..

the sub is big visually
no boom boom
adds body & scale

in my room there is a corner where i get maximum LF but shifting the sub there is a task in itself - there is another spot - a nul:cool:l spot too

But if you know where to sit - its a most enjoyable experience indeed..:)

maybe when some other folks come home - they can probably be more descriptive. and more useful for the reader.

Yesterday we played with the little brother - Naim nait 5i-2 - it was in hibernation for some months and i wanted to give it a spin..

I guess this project has got me to where i visualised i wanted to be with this large sub so i think its a success in many ways.

some pics

View attachment 42554
View attachment 42555

regards
.Congrats ,how much it cost ,please give detail break up so that I can also build one DIY sub instead of purchasing branded subwoofer

@sachin.shiva

Faitalpro has 2 dealers in India - Delhi and Chennai

Please visit faitalpro site to see the locations

The 18XL1600 costed me 28k incl GST and landed in Mumbai

Other prices you may research on the net and convert ( if needed ) to get you an approx cost..

Just to help you - if you dont want this big a driver than i am recommended 1 more by Faitalpro 12 RS1066

On the HFV sale thread i am selling my 10 inch sealed sub woofer driver with cabinet - its a dayton RSS265HF-4

All you need to add is a plate amp and you are up and running..

Its very good as well..

I went for 18 inches since i have a large living room.

regards

@sachin.shiva

Faitalpro has 2 dealers in India - Delhi and Chennai

Please visit faitalpro site to see the locations

The 18XL1600 costed me 28k incl GST and landed in Mumbai

Other prices you may research on the net and convert ( if needed ) to get you an approx cost..

Just to help you - if you dont want this big a driver than i am recommended 1 more by Faitalpro 12 RS1066

On the HFV sale thread i am selling my 10 inch sealed sub woofer driver with cabinet - its a dayton RSS265HF-4

All you need to add is a plate amp and you are up and running..

Its very good as well..

I went for 18 inches since i have a large living room.

regards
Thanks for detail info sir,Nice to see ur loving ur new sub

Yesterday 7 of us were at mpw’s place. It was good old times, revisited. It was great catching up with TCPIP, Ronnie, Dave, DocD, Rikhav. Unfortunately Spirovious came in early and left. So we guys missed him. We heard music spanning fusion, Indian classical, African and staple rock classics. The 18 inch adds a lot of oomph which was missing in my earlier sessions at mpw. It brings energy and excitement which otherwise goes missing in a lot of tracks. According to me it’s definitely worth exploring a sub for guys with bookshelves. Also it allows you to tune the bass to your liking.

Thanks mpw for having us over. Thanks as always for your great hospitality and for the quintessential vada pav and beer:)

Thank you @prem

subwoofer integration is a word which scares people away... but i guess you put it well when you said the sub adds the missing information in the LF to the music and that in turn makes it all much more enjoyable - though imperfect.

At night at lower volumes it easier to follow the LF notes as well..something for the mind to catch onto ...

I am presently reading this book called Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari and one of the lines that sticks out is this

"The only place where perfection exists is in the human mind"

So the founding fathers of American Independence thought they were perfect when they used the word all men ( women ??? ) are born equal.
&
An ancient king near Turkey thought he was perfect as he considered all humans to be not equal.
:)

each has its own justification but neither is perfect...

I guess we ended with a feeling of wanting a bit more time together and i guess thats the way it should end - with a longing for the next meet - whenever where ever..

Thank you all for coming over and spending time..

Best regards

Track no 3..Ganges Delta Blues..

Low end grunt coming thru strong..

Never realised this CD had low notes in it.

images (4).jpeg

more pics..
View attachment 42383
View attachment 42384View attachment 42385

to give you an idea of comparativeView attachment 42386 sizes..

Edit:
settled into position and playing now..

View attachment 42393

have used SVS soundpath under the sub for isolation

wow !

that is a nice looking setup - i wonder what the large subwoofer sounds like ?

maybe the music is good or how would such a large sub integrate ?

its different - to have thought of such a setup...i mean ...conventionally it would be big floorstanders..

those look like panels too..

The electronics seem nice .. i see a Naim - the green light - ..but..i havent heard or seen those front speakers though !

any idea ?

Last edited:
the sub is big visually
no boom boom
adds body & scale

mpw, first of all congratulations for the sub build !!!

If you like this 18" sub this way, its perfectly all right.
But im very sure you are underutilizing this sub.
Please go through the thread Story of infrasonic sub 105db @ 8hz with a similar driver as yours.

I have personally seen that sub performance and there is a world of difference before and after calibration.
But Prateek achieved insane levels of tactile bass. Calibration is the Key.
Before calibration it was like Maruti 800 and after calibration it was like Toyota Fortuner ;)
(Of course, if any one doesn't like that kind of bass its purely personal taste)

And its kind of shocking to me that you married a 1600W driver to a 400W amp :oops:(no offence meant..)

I would like to say again.... If you like this 18" sub this way, its perfectly all right.
But this sub can be turned into a beast with proper calibration.

Bracings in post 224 are not serving the purpose sir. Bracing design is flawed. And in case of using this driver to its full potential, this box needs extensive bracing.

And the only reason for referring to the other infrasonic sub is that your driver is also from the same brand and same size and nearly similar specs. Hope you take my comments positively Sir. Intension is purely to explore the scope for betterment.

Last edited:
Hi @Naveenbnc , MPW has left the forum. You can see "Guest" written under his name.
My god !!!! :oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
My feedback offended him I guess...
I was hesitant in the beginning... But I tried to be polite as far as possible bhai....
I don't know how to fix this... Any body has his number please ???... I feel sorry for him...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back