the blast that led me here!

supershaji

Hello Earthlings,

I come in peace!

They say that pictures speak a thousand words, so I am hoping that my Profile picture here gives me a head start.

Yes, I blew my TV set! :signthankspin: please please, your applause is most gracious!

It was a 32" Vestar HD LCD. Here is the deceased picture after the fire:

attachment.php

RIP, saved his master from hell by burning himself!

My analysis of the catastrophe is that it was caused, not my a power fluctuation, but rather by surge from my Cable TV RF (coaxial) direct input into the LCD, considering it happened during the farewell thunders of the Monsoons.

So, taking heed from this tiny calamity, i swear never to watch, or let anyone watch ridiculous TV shows which, quite subtly indeed, promote demoralizing propaganda to good folks like us desis, who still have family values, a rich culture, and last but not the least, we still value our chastity.

Viva shamefulness!

Nonetheless, I got myself a bigger TV set: a 50" Panasonic TH50x30D Plasma TV, quite impressive, and my kid loves it!

Im here seeking help, and i intend to start my first thread seeking advice on Stabilizers and Coaxial (RF Cable)Surge Protectors to avoid such incidents in my future.

Love & Peace,

SuperShaji

Last edited:
Welcome to HFV. Congratulations on your new 50 incher. But I'm wondering why you still using cable TV with a HDTV. Upgrade to a HD DTH. It is not wise to use cable tv with such high cost equipment.

Hello Earthlings,

I come in peace!

They say that pictures speak a thousand words, so I am hoping that my Profile picture here gives me a head start.

Yes, I blew my TV set! :signthankspin: please please, your applause is most gracious!

It was a 32" Vestar HD LCD. Here is the deceased picture after the fire:

attachment.php

RIP, saved his master from hell by burning himself!

My analysis of the catastrophe is that it was caused, not my a power fluctuation, but rather by surge from my Cable TV RF (coaxial) direct input into the LCD, considering it happened during the farewell thunders of the Monsoons.

So, taking heed from this tiny calamity, i swear never to watch, or let anyone watch ridiculous TV shows which, quite subtly indeed, promote demoralizing propaganda to good folks like us desis, who still have family values, a rich culture, and last but not the least, we still value our chastity.

Viva shamefulness!

Nonetheless, I got myself a bigger TV set: a 50" Panasonic TH50x30D Plasma TV, quite impressive, and my kid loves it!

Im here seeking help, and i intend to start my first thread seeking advice on Stabilizers and Coaxial (RF Cable)Surge Protectors to avoid such incidents in my future.

Love & Peace,

SuperShaji

congrats on the new TV, good choice!!! please make sure you get a stab ASAP. If you want to invest in a UPS, ensure you get a pure sinewave UPS. That will take care of all power surges, voltage drops, etc. IF you get a UPS you dont need anything else. If you get a stab, you dont need a surge protector. all the best!!!

congrats on the new TV, good choice!!! please make sure you get a stab ASAP. If you want to invest in a UPS, ensure you get a pure sinewave UPS. That will take care of all power surges, voltage drops, etc. IF you get a UPS you dont need anything else. If you get a stab, you dont need a surge protector. all the best!!!

Isn't it you need a surge protector.

op's tv was blown by a surge in cable tv connection, how would a ups/stabiliser/surge protector will protect in that situation?

@baijuxavior : I'm not much of a Cable (Popular) TV watcher, just news sometimes; I watch videos of my choice, and/or use the set for my PS3 with the kid, or on my own. I had the RF cable (hathway) plugged directly into my set after the AV wires from the set top box burned once (surge again?). Gimme a few good service providers for HD DTH to consider from please.

@ aakashr & BORG: yes, i was wondering how a stabilizer would help surge, unless it has a provision for the same, which would be a good idea for the manufacturers.

have a look at this: Belkin : Gold Series 8-Socket Surge Protector
... the spike buster has a provision for RF cable surge as well. gimme some gyan on this too pls.

also, I plugged my PS3 and my New 50" plasma to a UPS, i think it's a bit short for the consumption, but i wold like to know if it does the job of stabilizing for the TV, the UPS is a Numeric 'Digital 600'.

btw, what's a 'sinewave' UPS?

op's tv was blown by a surge in cable tv connection, how would a ups/stabiliser/surge protector will protect in that situation?

some kind of lightning / surge protectors are available. Make enquiries at shops selling cable tv equipments or in the electronic shops. ( I am not using cable so unable to recommend models)

I have a belkin gold series surge protector which has a telephone in/out and a coaxial in/out. Now, I can't say that there won't be a drop in the quality if you use those ports since I haven't tried it myself, but you can give it a shot if you can borrow it from someone. I tried the telephone in/out briefly, and i noticed a drop in the quality of my internet connection. The filters and noise levels come into play and belkin's levels aren't too low. Or so I remember. Anyway, the case in point is that you can buy equipment that would server the purpose if you look around a bit.

Last edited:
i dont see any more details in us site also, no details on RF protector- just a line" coaxial protection"

anyway for doing that(op's issue) a 1/4 wave surge arrestor is ideal, (shorts the powerline freqency if it escapes to rf path)
so any powerline surge coming from cable tv line can be blocked without affecting signal quality

Last edited:
many surge protectors have telephone port, but having a protected RF port is news to me, couldnt find much info on belkin site , there is only a word "coaxial" line,

i mean do the belkin have this?

Quarter Wave Coaxial Surge Arrester - China Coaxial Surge Arrester,Surge Arrester,Signal Arrester in Breaker & Protector

Hey Borg,

thanks for the reply, The link u posted is of the UPS that I am using, the Belkin query was something new to me too and was only inquiring about it, the belkin i saw online is like this:

Belkin Gold 8 Port Surge Protector Extension Board | eBay

AND this one too:

Belkin Superior 6 Way Surge Protector Spike Buster | eBay

@supershaji,

there are several threads on this forum which talks about mishaps and discussions about surge protectors and stabilizers. A read through them would definitely help.
Two things i have learned from here
1) Spike guards usually employ metal oxide varistors as protection mechanism and wear out in time offering no protection after that.
2) A combination of Surge Protection for power, cable and telephone is essential

OBO and ABB are two brand names which people have recommended for products here.

OBO has protection device for TV OBO BETTERMANN - Surge protection for TV receiver units

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back