Blew up my TV: need advice on STABILIZERS & COAXIAL SURGE PROTECTORS

supershaji

So I blew up my older 32" LCD (I suspect the culprit surge from my RF cable connection which was connected directly into the coaxial connector on the deceased TV set).

attachment.php

Now I bought myself a 50" Panasonic Plasma TH50X30D

I desperately seek advice from the experts on this forum on whether I must go for a new stabilizer or let it be connected to my Numeric UPS (Model: Digital 600 plus) along with my ps3, the main reason for the UPS is to act as a stabilizer and to give enough time for me to shut down the ps3.

ALSO, I need to know how to protect from surge (or current) coming from the Cable TV RF (Coaxial) wires which go into the TV or a set-top box. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT to me

I found these products on the internet: please do advice:

Belkin Gold Series Surge Protector with Coaxial protection

AND

Belkin Superior Spike Buster and Surge Protector

Help me out please!

Thanks a ton in advance,

SuperShaji

A little story in my introduction with pictures, if anyone's interested: HERE

Attachments

• TV remains IMG-20110905-00125.jpg
    TV remains IMG-20110905-00125.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 107
  • TV-kaboom-cropped-IMG-20110.jpg
    TV-kaboom-cropped-IMG-20110.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 135
So I blew up my older 32" LCD (I suspect the culprit surge from my RF cable connection which was connected directly into the coaxial connector on the deceased TV set).

Electricity entered on the coax wire, did damage, and then stopped? That contradicts what was taught even in primary school science. To have electricity means an incoming and an outgoing wire both exist. And electricity flows simultaneously on both wires. Damage occurs a long time later. So, what was the incoming path and what was the outgoing path?

A hint. Damage often happens on the outgoing connection.

Any protection performed by protectors adjacent to any TV is already done better inside the TV. Your concern is the rare transients (maybe once every seven years) that can overwhelm that protection. Such transients are either absorbed harmlessly outside the building. Or find earth destructively inside. Once inside, nothing - especially not those Belkin products - claim to stop or absorb that energy.

Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules. So, read the Belkin specifications. It claims to absorb how many hundreds of joules? Where is the protection?

How does the 2 cm part inside that Belkin stop what three kilometers of sky could not. That is also what salesmen are claiming.

Again, either destructive transient dissipate harmlessly outside the building. Or no protection exists. A surge permitted inside the building will go hunting for earth destructively via appliances. Today it was your TV. Tomorrow, what other appliance will it destroy.

You need one 'whole house' protector for AC mains, properly earthed, for everything. That TV cable should already have even better protection. Should already be earthed to the same electrode by a wire. No protector necessary. Then energy is not hunting destructively for earth via appliances.

Protection is always about where hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate. Any solution that does not discuss where energy dissipates is best considered a scam.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back