The Cables/Power Supplies Discussions

1. Badly wound transformer having huge primary to secondary leakage capacitance, so that it can pass RFI in free-flow. Lack of Faraday Shielding.

I will come to smps part in next posts.

Is there an easy way to measure this? whats would be the ball park limit beyond which the capacitance is too much. How do I check for faraday shielding, without opening the transformer. Are these things applicable to all kinds of transformers, ei, torroidal, r-core etc.

Is there an easy way to measure this? whats would be the ball park limit beyond which the capacitance is too much. How do I check for faraday shielding, without opening the transformer. Are these things applicable to all kinds of transformers, ei, torroidal, r-core etc.

Capacitive Leakage is easy to measure with capacitance meter itself. The value must not be above 500pF as ball park figure, but again depends on construction and other variables as well.
Faraday shielding applies to all transformers in general. In EI we usually have a band of copper foil surrounding the bobbin area which is a poorman's version of faraday shield. A proper galvanic Faraday shield[electrostatic shielding as well] is attained by placing a conductive turn with one end open and another one connected to chassis earth terminal. In order to achieve this in best way, either use foil which can cover full bobbin height or use magnet winding wire to cover one full layer between primary and secondary.

Look for tap positions in transformers for example in E-I , connected to earth or chassis.

Last edited:
A pic speaks 1000 Words

1381322_424418314328919_1694173409_n.jpg

Not sure if i am posting this doubt in the correct thread, but looking at the thread name i thought to post it here.

I am using Bandridge Superflex LC1259 speaker cables for my music setup. Following is the product link:

Bandridge - General

I need your help in understanding the following:

1) what is the guage of this cable. I tried to search through google but i got different results. i.e. almost all the numbers from 12 guage to 20 guage for the same cable.
2) I need some feedback on these cables, if anybody has used them in past. I basically need to decide whether to continue using the same or to buy new ones under 400 to 500 rupees per metre.

Regards, Amit

its a 20 AWG... model LC 1259 introduced in 2004.

for the tannoy's and marantz which is pretty decent go for minimum 16 AWG oxygen free copper..

dac 16 awg/ chord carvinal should be good start.. dont over spend but get decent ones..

MX cables are good as well..

Not sure if i am posting this doubt in the correct thread, but looking at the thread name i thought to post it here.

I am using Bandridge Superflex LC1259 speaker cables for my music setup. Following is the product link:

Bandridge - General

I need your help in understanding the following:

1) what is the guage of this cable. I tried to search through google but i got different results. i.e. almost all the numbers from 12 guage to 20 guage for the same cable.
2) I need some feedback on these cables, if anybody has used them in past. I basically need to decide whether to continue using the same or to buy new ones under 400 to 500 rupees per metre.

Regards, Amit
2.5 sq.mm is 14AWG which in all likelihood is more than sufficient for your needs.
If you want to upgrade (debatable) consider the Chord Leyline. Inexpensive.

Last edited:
its a 20 AWG... model LC 1259 introduced in 2004.

for the tannoy's and marantz which is pretty decent go for minimum 16 AWG oxygen free copper..

dac 16 awg/ chord carvinal should be good start.. dont over spend but get decent ones..

MX cables are good as well..

2.5 sq.mm is 14AWG which in all likelihood is more than sufficient for your needs.
If you want to upgrade (debatable) consider the Chord Leyline. Inexpensive.

my bad.. correcting... its LC1254.. yes not 20 AWG...
+1 @keith

Noobie question.

Getting the wiring done for installing my existing Onkyo based AV with speaker set in my new house. Want to do a neat job so getting the wires passed through 0.5 and 1" plastic-pattis and then painting them over to conceal.

Question is can I group these wires together? Will signal interference be a problem?

In one 1" patti, i will have 2 16AWG cables for the surround speakers and 2 TV cables of the Tata-Sky box (total 4). In the second 1" patti i intend to put 2 HDMI cables, 1 coax (Tata Sky Audio) and 1 Optical (BlueRay audio) along with 2 18AWG cables for the Front 2 speakers.

The HDMI cables are conventional HDMI cables of 2m length each (Bandridge make).

So will signal interference be an issue?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back