The Dark Side of the Moon: analog & digital comparison (CD, SACD, Vinyl, Tape)

over time I have preferred the US pressings as they sound better.
US and especially UK pressings are gold standards as far as I’m concerned , when talking about classic rock , hard rock , prog rock albums of the sixties and seventies.
That being said , I’ve been consistently amazed by the stellar quality of Indian pressings, and I’m glad that has NOT got vinyl collectors attention yet , otherwise prices would have skyrocketed.

Were there Indian pressings for DSOTM ? Did not know Western Vinyl was pressed in India !
Shows that you are a young man ;)
Innumerable western music albums had Indian vinyl pressings until the 80s.
Rock, pop, Western classical chiefly, I think.
Indian pressings of many albums are highly regarded.
Now, does that show my (advanced) age :D

i did not care for Vinyl till 10 years back!!! was mostly onto cassettes and then CDs :)

I’m 35 and never started collecting untill lockdown started, paradoxically. But childhood was blessed with vinyls though ... :)
Even more fortunate to live in Kolkata which has a very rich vinyl history amongst all cities in the country.

I too got into vinyl only about 10 years back. Till then I was a pure digital guy.

I too got into vinyl only about 10 years back. Till then I was a pure digital guy.
At some point in time you might have been a cassette guy, like many of us? Probably one reason why I liked the cassettes version might be nostalgia - in the 80's and 90's cassettes were all that I bought. I repent throwing away a carton full of cassettes unused over a decade during the 2000's.

My run with cassettes was from late 70s to mid 80s. I was never majorly into cassettes. I moved to digital in late 80s. Maybe around 88-89. I remember it was around the time Bollywood songs were available on CDs. Initially I used to get them from UK. Then by around 89-90 they started becoming available in India.

I have heard the DSOTM Indian pressing, pretty good I thought and then I've heard the cassette version on a EMI Cassette (made in England). Both sounded good to me. But then I came across P.U.L.S.E. wherein Gilmour, Wright and Mason, joined by sessions musicians, performed the album in its entirety. I liked this version (musically) more as it sounded more contemporary to me, more 80s/90s (P.U.L.S.E. was essentially recorded during live performances at Earls Court in London in 1994, during the Division Bell tour). Musically the 1973 version, though original, sounded very 'raw' to me. I thought Gilmour's guitar rig had evolved since the 70s and his guitar-playing is amazing on P.U.L.S.E. Being a live recording, the ambience and depth is great and the music sounds so lively. Perhaps the fact that I always sided with Gilmour over Waters also drew me to the Pink Floyd music of the post-Waters era. That's why perhaps even though DSOTM is a legendary album, I still enjoy The Division Bell, a little more (than The Delicate Sound of Thunder, followed by the rest). I haven't got down to buying the P.U.L.S.E. LP box set as it is mighty expensive, so I've had to make do with the DVD and Audio CD.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back