The Death Of DVDS For Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I m using 1152 X 864 & I can see difference too.I dont know what I feel exactly ,but I was expecting little more.Original Blueray mov can look stunning.I can just get as sone DVDs look dull & some good.

PowerDVD cant open those,but lattest VLC can.

So with 1152 you are already limiting the horizontal lines which is max 1280 for 720p and 1920 for 1080p.

You will not get the full potential of 720p movies on your screen. And 1080p movies will seem same for you. Moreover you have small screen, so you may not be able to judge very correctly, about the DVD/HD differences.

KMP + haali + CoreAVC also improves it.

I've got 42 Inch 1080 P LCD
I find HD ip far better than orignal DVD
Anyway I personally felt that DVD's available in India were inferior than in US.....

Especially I was bowled by Waal-E 1080 P with DTS sound....

Anyway some of my tastes are personnel-- I prefer Jack Daniels over Chivas ---- I try to avoid Beer but when I take frankly I like Haywerds 5000 & Cannon 10000 more than Carlesberg!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::lol::lol:

I've got 42 Inch 1080 P LCD
I find HD ip far better than orignal DVD
Anyway I personally felt that DVD's available in India were inferior than in US.....

Especially I was bowled by Waal-E 1080 P with DTS sound....

Anyway some of my tastes are personnel-- I prefer Jack Daniels over Chivas ---- I try to avoid Beer but when I take frankly I like Haywerds 5000 & Cannon 10000 more than Carlesberg!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::lol::lol:

What about Khajuraho or KF Strong?:lol:

??? Come now Spiro. DVD is MPEG2, rips are MPEG4. 1GB of MPEG4 has data that 2GB of MPEG2 holds and even more. So 6GB of DVD will be equal to 3GB of HD rip or even less HD rip data. This is the reason why Reliance Big TV DTH with MPEG4 has better PQ than anyone else, cause the other DTH providers are broadcasting MPEG2. No way the DVD has better PQ unless the rips are from a bad source.

This equation some how does not capture the true quality of hd rips. I've seen a lot of 4.3G hd rips that are a lot better than a dual layer dvd in terms of PQ. I use pv8 for this.

This equation some how does not capture the true quality of hd rips. I've seen a lot of 4.3G hd rips that are a lot better than a dual layer dvd in terms of PQ. I use pv8 for this.

Yes that's correct. Even I've seen 700MB rips of aXXo where the PQ is as good as the original DVD of 4.37GB i.e. despite being compressed 6 times its PQ is still good and on par with the original DVD, but I've never gotten this kind of PQ with such compression. That's why I guess aXXo is aXXo.

Also with your situation the PV8 is a natural handicap for DVDs since they are SD and anything HD or HD Ready means they need a very good upscaler like Oppo to even compete to deliver good PQ. Also, dual layer DVDs actually never have movie the entire 7.95GB. In fact they will have the movie only around 4-5Gb max. The rest of space is used for the extras, trailers, commentary, etc. Compare the PQ on SD TV like a CRT to give the DVD a better chance.

But you are right. I've seen HD rips of 2 GB and less that in fact which look way better than the original DVD. I in fact have a single layer DVD of 4.37 GB that has all the 3 parts of the Matrix trilogy in HD rips on it and this one single layer DVD looks like 5-6 times better than the retail DVDs of Matrix that I have. There is so much difference.

But you and I know and have seen and can see the truth but how to convince those who cannot and still believe that DVDs are better?

That is we get good resolution with HDrip,but DL DVDs also can come close to it.I have found some DL dvds are around 6.5gb & do look better like HD-ripped.may be 18-20

Moserw,

It is a good idea to give you some of the DVDs, when you are in Mumbai, please do take some of them. The DVD player of Denon, is a expensive one, i paid 31,000/- rupees, so difficult to part with.

I appreciate that you understand my point, that i should not go back to watching the DVD, as high definition movies 720P & 1080P , are the way to go forward.

With the technology moving so fast, the time maybe is near when we will get all movies in high definition. Till then there are so many movies available on HD, that one can not even count them.

I thank you again with the number of times you helped me via e-mail, chats, and private messages, to understand the benefits of these HD movies.

Vinay.

Ok. Well if you have lost interest then you can please toss the DVDs my way. I'm sure I will enjoy watching them. Even the DVD player too. That is of course if you ever decide to part with them.

Yes HD is the future and once you see it you cannot go back to SD content that much I agree with. Only unfortunately all movies are not yet available in HD hence the DVDs.

Moserw,

My problem remains the same, i have lost interest in DVD.

The high definition movies 720 & 1080P pq & sq is just too good laced with other great benefits which i wrote in the earlier post, i want to go ahead in life, by watching DVD, i will be going reverse.

I am so grateful to you the way you have helped me in understanding the high definition movies, my world has changed by watching such high quality movies.

Vinay.

It also depends upon your taste. I am also in the same boat, where I have a lot of dvds, divx and now I have an htpc also. I havent tossed the dvd player yet, because quite a few movies are really old movies, classics etc, in which there are no special effects or sound effects, and whether its divx or dvd or hd doesnt make any difference. You arent watching that movie for special effects. in fact, great resolution and effects etc kind of distracts you from what is important, the movie itself.
I can watch the dvd/divx on htpc also, but its a pain to switch on the comp, its much easier to just use the dvd player for these, as most of my dvd/divx collection is not on htpc, but on dvds.
The power comsumption is also much lower, dvd player will be some 20-30 watts and the comp probably will be like 100-200 watts ballpark. I switch on the htpc when I have to watch the x264 movies or listen to flac music.

To : Doors666

Thank you for explaining me your point of view.

For me a movie is not complete without the special effects or sound effects, especially the low frequencies, and indeed i should like the story line. There have been many times when there are special effects or sound effects but the DVD has not been to it's expectation. There are few movies where there are no effects, i still like them.

I am able to get high definition movies much before the DVD release over here, therefore it makes better sense to go for these hd movies, and then importantly the pq & sq is any day better.

Vinay.

Last edited:
To : Venkat, Kamal, Suri

About your interest to have my DVDs.

If i do not face any problems for another 1 or 2 months with these high definition movies then i will work out some way to distribute my DVDs, for the one's which 720 & 1080P is available. In-fact in the next stage i may also distribute the other DVDs.

If i am able to do this distribution then i will be a very happy person, because that way i will be able to show my gesture to the members, as i have learnt so much from them. I will like to give more DVD's from whom i have learnt a lot.

It is just great to have this site hifivision.

Vinay.

Reju, i know you have several 720P movies, for which i have DVDs, i can request you to please give me the 720P and in return take my DVD, but i will not do that, i will like to give you some DVDs without taking anything in return as you have helped me a lot, and i expect you to continue helping me in future too.

Thank you for hearing me.

Vinay.

Reju, i know you have several 720P movies, for which i have DVDs, i can request you to please give me the 720P and in return take my DVD, but i will not do that, i will like to give you some DVDs without taking anything in return as you have helped me a lot, and i expect you to continue helping me in future too.

Thank you for hearing me.

Vinay.

No Vinay, it's OK. It was only a pleasure to be of any help, and I don't expect anything in return for that. Shall continue in future if needed.

Vinay says that he would no longer be interested in buying original dvds because the sq and pq of hd-rips is much better then the original dvd he buys.
Yeah i agree rips are very cost effective as you practically get it for free
But apart from that I dont agree fully with Vinay
Vinay, you are comparing a normal dvd video disc with a rip of hd-dvd or blu-ray. So maybe it can be better then a normal dvd video disc but i doubt it can be better then hd-dvd or blu-ray from which it was ripped. Simply because ripping a movie in whatever format leads to a smaller file size then the source which in turns means loss of video and audio quality
Also you always purchase dvds offically released in india and its a known fact that the region 1 dvds are far better then the made for india dvds due do difference in quality of the master.
So I would request Vinay to watch a hd-dvd or blu-ray on his setup and then compare it with the hd-rip and then post his views about the difference in sq and pq
Maybe he can borrrow a blu-player for someone for this purpose

Vinay says that he would no longer be interested in buying original dvds because the sq and pq of hd-rips is much better then the original dvd he buys.
Yeah i agree rips are very cost effective as you practically get it for free
But apart from that I dont agree fully with Vinay
Vinay, you are comparing a normal dvd video disc with a rip of hd-dvd or blu-ray. So maybe it can be better then a normal dvd video disc but i doubt it can be better then hd-dvd or blu-ray from which it was ripped. Simply because ripping a movie in whatever format leads to a smaller file size then the source which in turns means loss of video and audio quality
Also you always purchase dvds offically released in india and its a known fact that the region 1 dvds are far better then the made for india dvds due do difference in quality of the master.
So I would request Vinay to watch a hd-dvd or blu-ray on his setup and then compare it with the hd-rip and then post his views about the difference in sq and pq
Maybe he can borrrow a blu-player for someone for this purpose

How can a ripped/compressed MKV be better than the original BD/HD DVD?:confused: He has never said that anyway.

IMHO original BD/ HD DVD is about max 10-20% better than ripped MKVs.
And when Vinay is already happy with ripped ones (25-30% better than his DVDs) what's the point in comparing with output from BD/HD DVD player?
As you would agree, cost effectiveness is the key element here;)

Last edited:
How can a ripped/compressed MKV be better than the original BD/HD DVD?:confused: He has never said that anyway.

And when Vinay is already happy with ripped ones (25-30% better than his DVDs) what's the point in comparing with output from BD/HD DVD player?
As you would agree, cost effectiveness is the key here;)

The whole point is letting know vinay why his dvd video fall short and why he feels the rips are better then the original dvds
I am telling him to compare the rips with the original source so he can compare how much better is the source
If i am not wrong his avr cannot decode hd-audio. But he can know the pq difference by connecting a blu-ray player directly to his projector/tv
I am stressing on this because the sourcing of hd-rips is not guaranteed because we all know its illegal

As you would agree, cost effectiveness is the key element here;)

Well to the human eye on most setups a Divx rip is as good as the original DVD so much so that most cannot see a difference. Similarly why should not (or cannot) a HD rip be as good as the original? Of course I've not compared both side by side, but just thinking why should there be a loss in PQ? FLAC rips are smaller in size compared to the original Audio CD or the WAVE files yet there is no loss of SQ or data. Same should be possible here too. Either way compression does not mean bad PQ. In most cases the human eye cannot see a difference.

In a Movie rip its not only the PQ but also the SQ. Both are downsized.
And if a 4gb sized rip could have same pq and sq of of a 25/50 gb blu-ray why on earth blu-rays are made? :)

And its not easy for all to find a difference in sq/pq. Either we don't have the equipment or an an experienced ear and eye. I don't have both

In a Movie rip its not only the PQ but also the SQ. Both are downsized.
And if a 4gb sized rip could have same pq and sq of of a 25/50 gb blu-ray why on earth blu-rays are made? :)

And its not easy for all to find a difference in sq/pq. Either we don't have the equipment or an an experienced ear and eye. I don't have both

Well most don't hear a difference between DTS and Dolby Digital so SQ compression also does not make a difference. Coming to Blu-Ray its proprietary and developed by Sony along with others. MKV is open source. No way will Hollywood adopt open source and risk losing control. Not that they are much in control considering all the HD rips available, but at least it gives them a false sense of security. Also, finally they will want to make a profit from all the costs incurred with the R&D of Blu-Ray so don't expect another format for a while yet.

With Hollywood (as with any manufacturer) its never about better SQ or PQ. Bottom line is always profits and more profits.

Well most don't hear a difference between DTS and Dolby Digital so SQ compression also does not make a difference. Coming to Blu-Ray its proprietary and developed by Sony along with others. MKV is open source. No way will Hollywood adopt open source and risk losing control. Not that they are much in control considering all the HD rips available, but at least it gives them a false sense of security. Also, finally they will want to make a profit from all the costs incurred with the R&D of Blu-Ray so don't expect another format for a while yet.

With Hollywood (as with any manufacturer) its never about better SQ or PQ. Bottom line is always profits and more profits.

I will definately agree with you on this angle unless someone like Suniil who regularly watches movies on a blu-ray and also a hd-rips can comment about the sq/pq difference

But you will also agree with me that with all the big production houses are doing all they can to curb piracy. Myabe its still easy to find hd-rips for download, but not as easily it was before.
And with many indian ISP's implying a fair usage policy it becomes all the more hard to download such huge files. Tata indicom Broadband allows only 45 Gb of data transfer on its 256 kbps unlimited account for a month.

Lastly, for someone like Vinay who has taken so much pain to make his home theater I would like him to view his movies on best source possible. So suggesting him a comparison between hd rips and blu-ray/hd-dvds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back