The Death Of DVDS For Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinay

I have been buying original dvds from last 2 years, I am having a collection of over 250 movies, these were sourced from leading retail stores like crossword.

I have been working extensively on understanding the high definition movies 720p/1080p, my knowledge on this has been a zero, I have got great help on this from Moserw, Reju, Hemantwaghe, Spirovious, Rikhav, Dushie, Madbullram, Kapz. The important thanks is to Hifivision, because he had started the thread of this WDTV.

I have bought WDTV, Reju, Hemantwaghe & spirovious have been to my house they have helped me to install and understand the benefits of these high definition movies. There were several problems which we had faced to get this wdtv started but now it is working great.

I can clearly say that the picture and sound quality is any day better then the original dvds which I have been buying, then I can store it in digital format in my external hard disk, so see the amount of space saving which I have made when I have to store the dvds on a rack, then I do not have to put the dvd player on, and insert the dvd, as all the movies are in the hard disk stored alphabetically, which is a great comfort, and then with the dvds so many movies are just not available in the stores, but you can very often get them in 720/1080P.

I will now never buy DVDs, I am at top of the world to get into this HD movies world.

Vinay.

Last edited:
I have been buying original dvds from last 2 years and now I am having a collection of over 250 movies, these were sourced from leading retail stores like crossword.

I have been working extensively on understanding the high definition movies 720p/1080p, my knowledge on this has been a zero, I have got great help on this from Moserw, Reju, Hemantwaghe, Spirovious, Rikhav, Dushie, Madbullram, Kapz. The important thanks is to Hifivision, because he had started the thread of this WDTV.

I have bought WDTV, Reju, Hemantwaghe & spirovious have been to my house they have helped me to install and understand the benefits of these high definition movies. There were several problems which we had faced to get this wdtv started but now it is working great.

I can clearly say that the picture and sound quality is any day better then the original dvds which I have been buying, then I can store it in digital format in my external hard disk, so see the amount of space saving which I have made when I have to store the dvds on a rack, then I do not have to put the dvd player on, and insert the dvd, as all the movies are in the hard disk stored alphabetically, which is a great comfort, and then with the dvds so many movies are just not available in the stores, but you can very often get them in 720/1080P.

I will now never buy DVDs, I am at top of the world to get into this HD movies world.

Vinay.

so now all your stuff is ripped stuff downloaded from the net??? Thats bad:eek:

Anyway good to see the WDTV is up and working - its a great product.

We had gr8 day yesterday @ Vinay's place playing with WDTV.
We played HD ripped mov through WD & it played flawlessly.We were amaised by PQ & SQ.720p & 1080p too.

Vinay's Denon2806 was doing woderful job to decode sound input via opt in.Surr were wonderful.Speaker are MA-flrstd & same dipole surr.Its a dedicated HT room & looks very rich once you enter it.

I played some music with Denon 1906?DVDp + 2806 AVR & sound was so good as if I was listening to Music system.My ONK,Tny F1 combo cant do that.

Vinay is very kind & thanks that he allowed us to see his dedicated
mini-Theatre.

It was a pleasure to give you "gyan" about these MKV movies.

But there's something I will not agree with Vinay. You cannot simply say goodbye to DVDs just because of these ripped stuff or authentic BD for that matter. Well, not yet! There's so much content still not available on BD/ MKV. So if you want to view some of these stuff, then you have to still use the next best media: DVD.

I still use them and I enjoy watching some great concerts and children animation. I know this is best way you can watch these content as of today, as they are not made available on HD.

As far as your collection is concerned, the display rack, the 250 DVDs, the original stuff...that's what actually gives me satisfaction:)

But there's something I will not agree with Vinay. You cannot simply say goodbye to DVDs just because of these ripped stuff or authentic BD for that matter. Well, not yet! There's so much content still not available on BD/ MKV. So if you want to view some of these stuff, then you have to still use the next best media: DVD.

I still use them and I enjoy watching some great concerts and children animation. I know this is best way you can watch these content as of today, as they are not made available on HD.

As far as your collection is concerned, the display rack, the 250 DVDs, the original stuff...that's what actually gives me satisfaction:)

Actually, there's a fair number of concerts out there in BR/MKV format, at least Western stuff. Nine Inch Nails, AC/DC.. I have the pleasure of owning both these guys on Blu-Ray, and the audio is reference quality. Nothing like hearing Angus Young on guitar riffs of Back In Black and Brian Johnson scream out "THUNDERSTRUCK" in front of crazy fans at Donington Park, all in Dolby True-HD ;)

Actually, there's a fair number of concerts out there in BR/MKV format, at least Western stuff. Nine Inch Nails, AC/DC.. I have the pleasure of owning both these guys on Blu-Ray, and the audio is reference quality. Nothing like hearing Angus Young on guitar riffs of Back In Black and Brian Johnson scream out "THUNDERSTRUCK" in front of crazy fans at Donington Park, all in Dolby True-HD ;)

I do have a "fair' number of these concerts in HD;)
So then what about the many more I love and not available on HD???
As of date, DVDs are still a must....

BTW 2 points to note: WTDV cannot play HD audio and Live at Donington has PCM 5.1, not DD TrueHD.

Last edited:
I have been buying original dvds from last 2 years, I am having a collection of over 250 movies, these were sourced from leading retail stores like crossword.

Vinay.

Vinay, it's nice to see you jumping on the bandwagon, congrats on the same.
I have been busy at work so not able to respond , apologies on the same

I feel it would be great help if you can post some of the steps you guys did when you got together and post that in the WDTV thread to help all newbies or buyers interested in using the product know their way around.

Also as you would have gathered a lot of info from Reju, Hemantwaghe & spirovious , on file formats, conversions and other stuff .
If the same can be published as a start up doc or a knowledge base document i feel it will be awesome and will benefit all ...

Welcome to WD TV world Vinay. I can understand the joy using external hard drive, let me just caution you one thing.

External hard drives can die suddenly leaving you in total shock. So always keep a backup of the best movies, may be copy them to a DVD-R. This way if u r external drive dies, you wont be LOST :) you will still have the movies you love in DVD-R.

And be careful with the kind of DVDs you use. Another way would be to use more HDDs as backup. Cheaper on a Rs/GB basis.

And be careful with the kind of DVDs you use. Another way would be to use more HDDs as backup. Cheaper on a Rs/GB basis.

thats not true, a dvd-r is still cheaper on a Rs/Gb basis as compared to a HDD. A 100 dvdspindle from sony costs 1150 on SP road, it gives u about 435GB. A 500 GB HDD is about 2500 Rs, gives you about 475 GB. Do the math.

thats not true, a dvd-r is still cheaper on a Rs/Gb basis as compared to a HDD. A 100 dvdspindle from sony costs 1150 on SP road, it gives u about 435GB. A 500 GB HDD is about 2500 Rs, gives you about 475 GB. Do the math.

My mistake. Sorry :eek:. Wasn't thinking while posting.

I use unbranded @ Rs. 7/DVD :eek:hyeah:

I use unbranded @ Rs. 7/DVD :eek:hyeah:

thats not a very good idea man, unless u know for sure its good quality. there is a software available that will tell you some info about the dvd and the manufacturer, and u can cross check with a table as to the quality level of the dvd. Its been a while since i did it, so dont remember the exact details. i think the s/w was called dvd info or dvd analyzer or something like that. There are actually a few manufacturers of dvd and most of the companies buy from them and rebrand and sell them. point is, different dvd models from the same reseller might be made by different manufacturer and might differ a lot in quality. and the bad quality ones might have a lot of bad dvds in a spindle, also their life might be a lot lesser.

Using for 2 years, no problems as such. Only occasional failures and nothing unusual. Image burner also shows the brand of DVD. They are mostly Sony.

I have also have god experience with Sony blank dvd's have been using them from last few year's will not recommend to go for anything cheaper, as with cheaper media i have experienced for few years it fine, after that spots start to appear inside the tracks and disk read problem occurs, so would recommend to stick to Sony and avoid cheaper Rs 7 dvd for important stuff. ..

I have also have god experience with Sony blank dvd's have been using them from last few year's will not recommend to go for anything cheaper, as with cheaper media i have experienced for few years it fine, after that spots start to appear inside the tracks and disk read problem occurs, so would recommend to stick to Sony and avoid cheaper Rs 7 dvd for important stuff. ..

+1 to that. Sony works great for me and no loss of data at all. Have used others in the past with resultant loss of data. Now I'm a Sony convert. Costs me Rs. 13 per blank DVD but worth it.

Reju,

There are few people like you who are willing to help at such a length, Thanks.

I could be wrong that i can not say goodbye to DVD, i will go out of the way to keep away from DVD. I have allready removed the DVD Player from my mini theatre.

Indeed the display rack with movies look great, the rack itself costed me 15,000/- rupees.

Vinay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back