The effect of cables - A sane debate

Cables it will be:

Did you'll know that Audio Quest got busted a couple of years ago for misleading the world with a video that claimed to improve sound if one of their HDMI cable was used?
They didn't realize that HDMI passes digital signal. So its either go or no go. But they showed audio amplitude changes with their cable.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Cables it will be:

Did you'll know that Audio Quest got busted a couple of years ago for misleading the world with a video that claimed to improve sound if one of their HDMI cable was used?
They didn't realize that HDMI passes digital signal. So its either go or no go. But they showed audio amplitude changes with their cable.

Regards,

Ravindra.

But sir the fun is that even with a USB cable I notice a change in sound
Again , experiecned myself and in my setup
I don't know why . - Capcitance, resistance, dielectric or length but yes it did change the sound

Not taking AQ's side. Don't use their cables at all

I am contemplating changing my interconnects - from RCA - RCA to RCA to DIN5(180 )...

brickbats welcome..:eek:o_O

I think by reducing the reflections back to the source by careful matching the characteristics impedance of output and input does the trick.

In matching the cartridge with the phono preamp, we try to achieve this by mixing the resistance and capacitance along with the characteristics of the phono cable.

I am contemplating changing my interconnects - from RCA - RCA to RCA to DIN5(180 )...

brickbats welcome..:eek:o_O

I think the DIN5 connectors come with Naim ICs and Naim gear is known to work well with Naim cables

I think I need to improve my english. All of you are getting wrong interpretation from my sentences.

@rikhav and @prem : I am not against tubes or vinyls. On the contrary, I love the sound of tubes and vinyls. So much so (I am repeating this from my post above) that I have modeled my amp based on the tube characteristics in order to get the same warmth and sweetness. So much so that I work only with full range speakers since my amp now (since it is modeled as tube) works best with them.

From a development standpoint, it is rubbish to let the tube dealers dictate the price of my product, similar to letting branded driver manufacturers charging exorbitantly. With tubes, even low cost speakers sound good. Right?
Isn't that what I am claiming about my amp?
My goal is to deliver high sound and build quality, keep the costs low. Isn't that what you all want?
Why should it matter that I use tubes if I can give you the same signature, in a low cost, with semiconductors?

I want you all to let sound quality win and not the underlying technology that produces it.
If it comes at a low cost, support it rather than suspect it.

From development stand point, I cannot motivate myself on the tube platform and remain competitive. That's the only reason.

I do measurements only during development time till I say the prototype is ready to be called a product. I do it using a borrowed set-up from a good friend of mine who has invested a lot in it.
The only time I have posted measurements was when I was new to this forum and trying to win member's confidence.
It was when @Kannan asked me to prove that the wooden grille in front of my speakers does not cause loss in quality.

As far as response of the Ahuja speakers go, either you have to hear it (you are allowed to bring your own measurement system) or trust me with it.
I will not post anything to prove a point or validate my calim.

I believe in making ears happy, not microphones.

I feel sad that this is the state of affairs in the DIY section.

Regards,

Ravindra.
A diplomatic reply to say that you have not measured but only listen by ears.

How about directly wiring the interconnects to the board. Anyone tried it? I hope I did not say anything utterly stupid :oops:

How about directly wiring the interconnects to the board. Anyone tried it? I hope I did not say anything utterly stupid :oops:

It's often impractical but if one can live with it, it avoids two potential points of signal degradation.

It's often impractical but if one can live with it, it avoids two potential points of signal degradation.

Yes I understand the impracticality, but was wondering the possibility from purely a technical stand point

Actually I am going to do this from my power supply board to Poweramp as I find all the connectors, cables and wires grossly under rated to do the job. There is no way that a 8 pin din connector can be connected to 400v DC, no matter how low the current is . It would be around 50mA to 80 mA though.

The best cables are designed in such a way that there is no signal loss.The high frequencies are not a problem but the lows are.I can explain it but of no use as no body is bothered .Almost in all the cables the total material used to carry the signal is not used .

[QUOTE="vnavin, post: 788675, membeAlmost in all the cables the total material used to carry the signal is not used .[/QUOTE]

Please elaborate

The best cables are designed in such a way that there is no signal loss.The high frequencies are not a problem but the lows are.I can explain it but of no use as no body is bothered .Almost in all the cables the total material used to carry the signal is not used .
I'm definitely "bothered" so please go ahead and explain.

Now where did that popcorn vendor go? Damn! :)

I think it's really ironical the way all this works. What I have learned is this that it's a fact that different cables made from different materials do sound different. copper ones are warmer and than silver or tinned ones. Pure copper ones will sound alike. Different branded ones can make use of copper alloys mixed with different materials such as tin or silver or other materials that give the characteristic sound of the cable. So we cannot say all cables are designed to minimise signal loss. Cables are designed to sound different, that's the reality of audio business.

I tried that once. To my ear it sounded marginally better than plugs but the characteristic cable sound was still there, no matter the short cable length. But it removes all the fun that can be had by cable changes and experimenting with different sound. So it was short-lived in my system. Precisely this is the reason active speakers and all in one systems are less popular in audio world, people want change everytime and a simple cable change allows the whole system to sound different.

OK, I'll throw one more curve ball. For IC's, who among us optimizes the cable conductor for the voltage the source is outputting? Is that even valid?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back