The Haffner Trio

venkatcr

Last week, thanks to TellRanga, I was fortunate enough to attend a Jazz session by a German group called The Haffner Tro. Consisting of Wolfgang Haffner on the drums, Herbert Nuss on the piano, and Christian Diener on the double bass, the group played some exquisite numbers from their lastest album titled Round Silence.

Haffner is a very popular artist in Europe and has won the prestigious German Jazz award for his album - Acoustic Shapes. Starting to play at the age of six, Haffner turned a professional musician in the German French Jazz Ensemble conducted by Albert Mangelsdorff. He has over 400 albums to his credit.

Haffner and his team played Tubes, Wordless, a dedication, and a number called "Chennai Rules'. He also invited a local software engineer whom he had met in the morning to sing 'SummerTime' accompanied by Haffner and his team. The girl sang quite well, though I felt she did not have the authority of someone like Diana Krall in high pitches. But this is asking for too much, is it not?

All in all an thoroughly enjoyable 2 hours at the Music Academy.

thetrio.jpg

This is the trio with Herbert Nuss on the left, Christian Diener in the middle and Haffner on the right.

thetrioplaying.jpg

A snap of the trio in action.

haffnerondrums.jpg

Haffner on the drums.

christiandiener.jpg

Christian on the double bass.

hubertnuss.jpg

Herbert on the piano.

Both Acoustic Shapes and Round Silence are worth having for people who like Jazz. Unfortunately they are not available in India, though Haffner has promised to speak to his publisher to see if they can be sold here. Haffner has played many times in India and seems to hold a special love for the audience here. In appreciation, we all gave him a standing ovation for over 3 minutes at the end of the session.

Cheers

Last edited:
maybe we should have a forum here (or atleast a thread) discussing upcoming concerts in various cities. a lot of people might be interested in these things if they come to know about it in time.

maybe we should have a forum here (or atleast a thread) discussing upcoming concerts in various cities. a lot of people might be interested in these things if they come to know about it in time.

Very true. I would've loved to attend this concert. But didn't know about it till Venkat posted it here.:(

Very true. I would've loved to attend this concert. But didn't know about it till Venkat posted it here.:(

Everybody was invited in the below thread, but I could not make it since it was not a friday eve unfortunately,

http://www.hifivision.com/music/8780-german-jazz-lovers.html

Shaizada, though I did listen to some of the numbers, since you are getting the full albums, do let us know how you like them.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back