The Legendary "1979" Technics SL-1200mk2

Thanks Saket. Will wait for some more advise from 1200 owners.

Well, the cueing lever is fine. Does what it exactly needs to do. The tonearm ascends and descends fully and correctly using the lever. I fixed the height adjustment dial and also set it to 25mm which is recommended for the 1200 (while playing it is parallel).

I am going to make a very simple box type dust cover this time made of 3mm acrylic.

I have edited my post; hence, please read again. The thought struck me when I saw the picture of the tonearm assembly sent by you. Hope, this was what you were looking for.

Regards,
Saket

I have edited my post; hence, please read again. The thought struck me when I saw the picture of the tonearm assembly sent by you. Hope, this was what you were looking for.

Regards,
Saket

Thanks. Read it again.

But a quick one, isn't those screws factory calibrated and unscrewing them will be a bad idea as I will not be able to achieve those factory settings/calibration again?

Thanks. Read it again.

But a quick one, but isn't those screws factory calibrated and unscrewing them will be a bad idea as I will not be able to achieve those factory settings/calibration again?

The two small screws just hold the metal tube. Hence, screwing them back will keep the angle exactly the same as factory setting as the holes on the tube and the tonearm assembly will match back again.

The two small screws just hold the metal tube. Hence, screwing them back will keep the angle exactly the same as factory setting as the holes on the tube and the tonearm assembly will match back again.

Okay. But getting one in spare or from a salvaged technics TT may be difficult. But if I get one that will be great as I don't have to replace the entire assembly as I've seen it internally as well and everything seems to be fine. Any leads?

BTW, I will again tonight check and use a simple method to set the height adjustment, which is place the stylus on a stationary record and adjust the height till the tonearm is absolutely horizontal and parallel to the record.

SJ,

I would not mess with the Gimbel bearings, if that is what you guys are discussing. It is factory-set and loosening or tightening the screw will affect the pivot settings. It is only recommended to be adjusted in worse case scenarios and cannot be re-calibrated.
I have done a lot of research on this and the only option is to replace the tonearm assembly. I have never come across anyone attempting or recommending just the s-arm change. But that is just my three pence.

SJ,

I would not mess with the Gimbel bearings, if that is what you guys are discussing. It is factory-set and loosening or tightening the screw will affect the pivot settings. It is only recommended to be adjusted in worse case scenarios and cannot be re-calibrated.
I have done a lot of research on this and the only option is to replace the tonearm assembly. I have never come across anyone attempting or recommending just the s-arm change. But that is just my three pence.

Even I would not dare touch the bearings. What I am saying is that the metal S arm is just screwed to a holder. This holder is then held by the bearings which means that bearings are not affected if one dis assembles the arm this way.

@Record Player: agree that it's difficult to source just that component, but just I thought to share it so that in case you have a chance, you can save some bucks. And who knows better than you that what may come knocking your doors!

You can get these tonearm parts on Bay or go to kabusa.com. Never ever open the bearing screws. Tube separation from that base is okay which is hold by single screw below.

Height of tonearm depend on cartridge height.

The reason I want to replace the tonearm is because - Once I finish playing and I bring the arm back to its rest I am not able to put the arm lock on because its a couple of mms higher. I need to lower the queuing lever for it to rest easily on the arm rest and then be locked, but dangerously close to the TT base. I presume this happened due to the dent on the arm while being couriered.

See bold part. Isn't that normal? If cueing lever is raised, then the arm remains raised and cannot touch down on the arm rest. By lowering cueing lever, the arm is able to rest on its rest.

I observed the same thing on mpw's Technics SL 23 TT. Let me check on some other TTs and I will report my observations.

In any case, if the arm is tracking well and playing normally, that it is not resting on the rest unless you lower the cueing lever is not sufficient reason to change the arm (IMHO) because there is already a trivial solution to it. The SL 1200 arm is a very nice arm, BTW.

Is the damage only limited to a ding or has gone beyond that by the tonearm losing its original shape & hence the tracking angle while playing a record?
If the blow has gone on to alter the shape of the tonearm, then there is a good possibility that the TT would have been damaging the records & the stylus while playing.

See bold part. Isn't that normal? If cueing lever is raised, then the arm remains raised and cannot touch down on the arm rest. By lowering cueing lever, the arm is able to rest on its rest.

I observed the same thing on mpw's Technics SL 23 TT. Let me check on some other TTs and I will report my observations.

In any case, if the arm is tracking well and playing normally, that it is not resting on the rest unless you lower the cueing lever is not sufficient reason to change the arm (IMHO) because there is already a trivial solution to it. The SL 1200 arm is a very nice arm, BTW.

On another note, use the queuing lever carefully, thats about the only weak link (if there ever was one) on Technics TTs (manual ones).

Last edited:
On another note, use the queuing level carefully, thats about the only weak link (if there ever was one) on Technics TTs (manual ones).

I destroyed one on a SL1210/II with my expert ministrations. So I wholeheartedly agree.

Even I would not dare touch the bearings. What I am saying is that the metal S arm is just screwed to a holder. This holder is then held by the bearings which means that bearings are not affected if one dis assembles the arm this way.

@Record Player: agree that it's difficult to source just that component, but just I thought to share it so that in case you have a chance, you can save some bucks. And who knows better than you that what may come knocking your doors!

@Saket - Haa haa, I aint that lucky mate :D

Hey Joshua - On my other 1200, when the Lever is raised, it sits perfectly in the arm rest and locks just fine. But that's because the arm lock was broken and an adjustment has been made.

Though the arm has a small ding, its aligned accurately using the protractor and it plays and tracks just fine. Visibly I cannot see if the arm has lost any shape due to transit and only the ding is visible. The ding/bend was much more initially when I got it, which I corrected using my bare hands (dangerous I know).

Last edited:
Is the damage only limited to a ding or has gone beyond that by the tonearm losing its original shape & hence the tracking angle while playing a record?
If the blow has gone on to alter the shape of the tonearm, then there is a good possibility that the TT would have been damaging the records & the stylus while playing.

Visibly I cannot see if the arm has lost any shape due to transit and only the ding is visible. The ding/bend was much more initially when I got it, which I corrected using my bare hands.

Then the problem should be with your other Technics.Tonearm should not lock when cueing lever is raised.

Regards,
Sachin

Now you are scaring me Sachin :).

Now I get it, nothing is actually wrong with my first TT. The thing is, my first 1200s arm rest is broken and there is an adjustment made to that and that adjustment is a little higher than normal, thus resulting is the arm being locked on the rest. You can look at the first page where I have posted photos of this where it is clearly visible.

Last edited:
Now you are scaring me Sachin :).

Now, isn't that how it should work. I remember on my previous TT as well, it used to lock when the lever was up. When the lever is up, its about a CM above the record and then rests into the arm rest correctly. Basically its not very high up from the record.

I could be wrong....but are you sure you have seen this on a 1200?

Sachin is correct. My 1200MKII, tonearm does not lock when its raised. Atleast 2-3mm up from the resting position. If you want then I can post photos.

Sachin is correct. My 1200MKII, tonearm does not lock when its raised. Atleast 2-3mm up from the resting position. If you want then I can post photos.

Thanks Om. I don't think pictures are required.

Now I get it, nothing is actually wrong with my first TT. The thing is, my first 1200s arm rest is broken and there is an adjustment made to that and that adjustment is a little higher than normal, thus resulting is the arm being locked on the rest. You can look at the first page where I have posted photos of this where it is clearly visible.

Now, on the second TT, when I lock the arm rest with the lever lowered down, the stylus is dangerously close to the TT! Is this normal.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back