The Legendary "1979" Technics SL-1200mk2

Now, on the second TT, when I lock the arm rest with the lever lowered down, the stylus is dangerously close to the TT! Is this normal.
No, its not normal!

While TT is in armrest, stylus tip is at platter level (w/o mat). It is ~12-15mm up from plinth.

Ah! Did not notice that smart work previously.

Yes! me too. :eek:hyeah: now saw this closely. Really smart work.

Gents - I cannot tell you how mesmerizing my listening sessions are with the 1200. It seems to amaze me on every single session. I feel its producing something new every time. From the likes of Jazz, Classical, Rock, Fusion you name it... simply finesse!

With the m97xe paired with the NAD 3020i on one and the Stanton Gold 500mk2 paired with the NAD 306 on the other gives you a complete set of Full Meals :)

Last night was listening to a German Record with a German Violinist (sorry don't remember the name) was crystal clear and the speed was super accurate. I think this is what they call "Audio Nirvana".

Sorry, but I really wanted to share this with you....

Cheers and keep spinnin....

Gents - I cannot tell you how mesmerizing my listening sessions are with the 1200. It seems to amaze me on every single session. I feel its producing something new every time. From the likes of Jazz, Classical, Rock, Fusion you name it... simply finesse!

With the m97xe paired with the NAD 3020i on one and the Stanton Gold 500mk2 paired with the NAD 306 on the other gives you a complete set of Full Meals :)

Last night was listening to a German Record with a German Violinist (sorry don't remember the name) was crystal clear and the speed was super accurate. I think this is what they call "Audio Nirvana".

Sorry, but I really wanted to share this with you....

Cheers and keep spinnin....

Yes, I can see that you are hooked to vinyls. Keep it going.

yes, when it comes to speed, nothing can beat a Techinics DD

But I would dare say that your cart and 3020 have a huge influence on what you hear. Once I was at a friend's place and heard the SL1200 with a M44-7 running through a Marantz PM6003 amp. I must say, that was perhaps the crappiest piece of singing that I've heard a 1200 do. The Technics SL1200 is a complete package and with a shure cart and Nad amp, it will be almost impossible to beat in that class/range.

Technics DDs stand out when they play instrumental music and vocals. Its a pleasure to listen to bells chiming, the piano, xylophone, veena, sitar, santoor and accordian on the SL1200. That kind of accuracy cannot be achieved with idlers or belt drives.

Last edited:
Technics DDs stand out when they play instrumental music and vocals. Its a pleasure to listen to bells chiming, the piano, xylophone, veena, sitar, santoor and accordian on the SL1200. That kind of accuracy cannot be achieved with idlers or belt drives.

Yes, sounds of these instruments are very unforgiving. Any flutter will show up prominently while playing records containing these instruments.

yes, when it comes to speed, nothing can beat a Techinics DD

But I would dare say that your cart and 3020 have a huge influence on what you hear. Once I was at a friend's place and heard the SL1200 with a M44-7 running through a Marantz PM6003 amp. I must say, that was perhaps the crappiest piece of singing that I've heard a 1200 do. The Technics SL1200 is a complete package and with a shure cart and Nad amp, it will be almost impossible to beat in that class/range.

Absolutely Reuben . Completely agree. My current combination does have a huge influence on what I hear.

As you mentioned, the 1200 truly stands out when playing any kind out instrumental music, however I must mention that the m97xe is great for such music.

Gents - I am currently in the process of changing the tonearm on the 1200 with a new OEM piece.

Last night when I removed the old tonearm, I actually noticed that the ding was much more intense than it looks.

Will share an update once completed.

Cheers...

Gents - I am currently in the process of changing the tonearm on the 1200 with a new OEM piece.

Last night when I removed the old tonearm, I actually noticed that the ding was much more intense than it looks.

Will share an update once completed.

Cheers...

Which make is the new OEM ? Is it Technics or some other make?

I've finished replacing the old tonearm with the new one. Infact this time I have used a 1210 tonearm on the 1200mk2. I still need to install it on the TT which I will do later tonight.

Cheers...

Last edited:
what is the right price for a Technics SL1200?
Saw an ad asking Rs 50000/-!

Analyze bids and pricing on ebay. I recently did some research and found the pristine 1200s selling for upwards of $400 in the range of upto $700 (more in some cases). The average ones were in the $230 to $400 range, these are the ones that require TLC and some minor repairs. The beat-up DJ ones were in the range of $150-$200 and would be worth a try, but the risks are high. Again, all this assuming a friend would be ready to hand carry one. Shipping from the USA is expensive. Indian pricing is unrealistic. People try to rip of enthusiasts. For example, when I was looking to buy a NAD 3020, I was getting offers in the range of 8k to 13k. I was a bit patient and ended getting one, bartered with my Shure M97xe cart. So the key is to be patient and look around with open eyes (and ears).

Analyze bids and pricing on ebay. So the key is to be patient and look around with open eyes (and ears).

Well said Reuben.
Waiting for getting one of my own and probably a Garrard too. My current TT's 78 is out. Looking for a cheap alternate for that while trying to search someone to bring a TT from abroad. When that happens I will be like :yahoo:

Well said Reuben.
Waiting for getting one of my own and probably a Garrard too. My current TT's 78 is out. Looking for a cheap alternate for that while trying to search someone to bring a TT from abroad. When that happens I will be like :yahoo:

Our FM record player having one Garrard TT. It has 78',you can ask him.

I decided to give the Ortofon OM PRO S a shot and see how this performs. I got this with the deck initially. These are typically DJ Carts, however after I did a bit of reading I understood that it can be used for audiophile listening as long as I don't scratch with them :).

This Cart tracks deeper in the grooves and gives more output and detail in the music. Now I personally think these just alright and nothing to brag about. I think these are good when testing records or even regular use on a 2nd setup I reckon!

I think with me current lot I think the Stanton Gold 500 Cart stands out the best. Dynamically excellent with high output. This pairs really well on the 1200. I personally like this over the Shure M97xE thought the M97xE has its won charm especially with classics.

Some Photos just for visual effects :D: Did some phone cam photography.

776z.jpg

l214.jpg

I call this shot the "Vinyl Pulse" :)

zay5.jpg

I was working from home today and thought of switching the pickups on the 1200s. So I switched the M97Xe to the 1200 paired with the NAD 306 and WOW, suddenly the 97xe exceeded its expectations. Played some Jimi H and it was quite punchy and just the way I like rock. I noticed when this was paired to the 3020i it wasn't that punchy. Now I've paired the Stanton Gold to the 3020i and it's excellent.

Honestly gents, there really is something so special about these 1200s. So easy to setup up in a couple of minutes, plug and play, stylish aesthetics, great speed accuracy, rightly damped, can play for hours together, hardly any technical maintenance required, OEM arm has great tracking, amazing sound reproduction, ooh I can just go on...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back