THE PARETO EFFECT IN AUDIO – THE 80/20 RULE IS REAL

Analogous

Yeah I guess it also depends in what the current setup situation is. If you already have a very good source then the first 2 might be more than 60 % perhaps..and things like power creep in.

Of course we are assuming that the choice of speaker and room is good !

I feel 30% is the room acoustics and placement. The same speaker in my bedroom sounds very different compared to my listening room. In the latter there is more space so even with the same amp, the sound is much superior in terms of spatial placement of instruments and air around them.

The rest probably make up the remaining 50%.

Speaker selection and acquisition at good price and logistics was like 80-90% of what affected the audio experience for me.
Additionally.. acquisition of a decent and capable high power amplifier would be the remaining factor.

Is the room then the most significant and expensive component/factor in home audio (for many of us)?
Expensive to construct, treat well, or a recurring expense if renting….

More like one word trolling.
I'm curious to know what prompted this reaction. Really.

The simplistic definition of trolling: When a post or comment is made to deliberately provoke a negative reaction.

Why are you upset by my post? I reread it again and see nothing (much) wrong with what I'd posted. Yes, I see now that it was terse but there's nothing provocative there and like I said in that post, it is my opinion. I really think you're overreacting and reading too much into what I said - or rather didn't say. Now that I think about it your last post could be construed as trolling, no? But I think I'll take my own advice and not read too much into it.

Keith Baba....all one line answers 🤣
You want rambling prose? I suggest 6Moons.com. :p

Come on people. It’s New Year’s Eve. Let’s get back on track.
I am looking to rent a house (moving) so the cost of an extra room for my audio pleasure is weighing heavily on my mind
I am discovering that the rent for a 4bedroom house is significantly more than the rent for a three bedroom house… every month and with a 10% increase annually.

As I have shifted quite a few houses in the last two decades, the listening environment (room), in my experience has been the biggest caveat.
Same experience with me. I lived in an European house from early 1900s some years back and it had very high ceilings. Everything sounded damn good there. Now I have speakers which are 4 times more expensive in a regular European heighted room. It feels more closed in! Also, lack of walls near the speaker is bliss! You can fix many things with DSP and acoustics but sometimes in some rooms you hit that magic level of diffusion and absorption without killing the aesthetics.

Is the room then the most significant and expensive component/factor in home audio (for many of us)?
Expensive to construct, treat well, or a recurring expense if renting….
Depends on one's gear. If it were you, It'd be the least expensive.

I've built two HT rooms in a space of less than 6 months and the cost was insignificant.

Come on people. It’s New Year’s Eve. Let’s get back on track.
I am looking to rent a house (moving) so the cost of an extra room for my audio pleasure is weighing heavily on my mind
It'll be approx 1L - 1.5L to get a 200 sq.ft room's floor and ceiling treated. Can be done for less also.
I am discovering that the rent for a 4bedroom house is significantly more than the rent for a three bedroom house… every month and with a 10% increase annually.
It's the opposite in Delhi. Renting a significantly larger house is not much more expensive than renting a 3 or 4BHK - apparently maintenance costs put people off - and the effort required to fill up the remaining space.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back