The quarterly Audiophile Mega Meet III - 20th Feb - Delhi/NCR

@ Asitda

Responding to your question. We did listen to vocals which comprised of 2 tracks from David Roth's Pearl Diver and 2 tracks from Madonna and it is from these I would say that the Leben + PMC combo came out winners. I think Amit has penned down his experiences in the audiophile.net You can check the same out. I will of course try to pen down my experiences with some more equipment in the near future.

Hi All,

At last the great day dawned it was 20th Feb and I had to rush to our Audio meetup slated for which I have been waiting with excitement for a chance to audition some pretty fancy gear as well as to meet with old and new friends. On reaching the venue (fortunately a 15 min drive from my place) I found that several people had arrived and we had nice time catching up with the group.

First Impressions of the Violet System

First while enjoying a hearty breakfast we had a demo of the Violet Wireless Home Theater Speaker System. We watched some Dabanng and some flicks and of course the sitting place was in a corner of a large hall and as expected the Violet fitted quite nicely and sound quality though not top notch it was in league with a HTIB costing around the same price and convenience it offers is second to none. I for one was much impressed by the finish and convenience the product offers. It has some shortcomings though like absence of HDMI connectivity option therefore you need to run a video to the TV/Projector and plug in a coaxial/analog to the transmitter box which is a little inconvenient. I had seen the demo version of the product but this commercially available option seems to have a better build and finish. The major positive is that it is wireless and only needs an electrical outlet to show its prowess. Shifting the system to another place is quite easy too.

Next moving to the basement for the audio experience..

So here we are.. As Tapan Daa (dillihifi) already narrated us with the introduction part of the Sunday morning, I shall walk everyone through the rest of the event. Thanks Tapan Daa, you kept us warm throughout the day with your witty and humorous fine liners! Also to Mr. Khushrau for sharing wonderful facts on such a great humorous way! Though we missed lot of our friends due to either their pre-occupation or un-wellness, still we moved ahead and made it!

Now let me give you all a quick synopsis of the entire event. As you know the venue was the same old famous place and our favorite Sidharths Villa in Sec 22, Gurgaon.

Soon after the wonderful demonstration of the Violet wireless HT Speaker System by Ashish Kesarwani from Lakozy Delhi along with the mouth watering morning snacks we got the maximum crowed and hence started moving towards the basement AV room for the audition of the real stuff. The basement room was already musical with Magnum Dynalab FM Antenna paired in-house Denon AV receiver as Tunar. FM radio is generally not catchable in basement and interiors, but with this Magnum Dynalab FM Antenna setup it was much possible, proved well!

So flowingly to fulfill our appetite for Gears listening we started the session of auditioning the following gears. Take a look:

Speakers:

PMC TB2i Signature (England) (90 dB) BSF
Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6 BSF
DIY BSF speaker with Omega USA (Fostex) drivers speakers
DIY BSF speaker by Sounds Great Bengaluru
B&W Nautilus 805 BSF Speaker
USHER Be-718 with Beryllium tweeter Version (87 dB) BSF Speaker

Amplifiers (Pre/Power/Integrated):

Sherbourn PRE-1 - Stereo Preamplifier + Sherbourn 2-160 2-channel Amplifier (2 x 160 Watt into 8 Ohms)
Holfi Integra 8S Integrated Amplifier (2 x 100 Watt in 8 Ohms)(Denmark)
Jeton Operatta AP2140A Power Amplifier + Promitheus Audio Signature TVC mono blocks (Passive pre amp)
Leben CS300xs ( 2 X 12 Watt tube power By 4x Russian Sovtek EL84 valves)
Lyrita Audio Tube integrated Amp (15 Watt of tube power By Russian valves)
ARTORA ArtoAmp 150 Digital Integrated Amp (2 x 75 Watt in 8 Ohms)(Denmark)

Source:

Cary CD 306 Professional CD/SACD Player

Cables (Interconnects and Speaker cables):

Transparent Audio Interconnects and Speaker cables
Cardas Golden Presence Interconnects and Speaker cables
VDH D102 Mk3 Interconnects

Now coming to the vital part infact most important part, pairing up the components. We tried the following combinations for a proper auditioning session:

1. PMC speaker + Sherbourn Pre+Power + Transparent Audio Cables
2. Tannoy speaker + Sherbourn Pre+ Power + Transparent Audio Cables
3. B&W Speaker + Jetton Operatta Power Amp + Promitheus TVC + Cardas Cables
4. DIY Omega Drv Speakers +Sherbourn Pre+ Power + Transparent Audio Cables
5. DIY Omega Drv Speakers + Lyrita Audio Tube Int Amp + Transparent Audio Cables
6. DIY Omega Drv Speakers + Leben Amp +Transparent Audio Cables
7. Tannoy Speaker + Leben Amp + Transparent Audio Cables
7. Tannoy Speaker + Leben Amp + Transparent Audio Cables
9. PMC Speaker + Lyrita Audio Tube Int Amp + Transparent Audio Cables
10. DIY BSF speaker by SoundsGreat+ Sherbourn Pre+ Power +Transparent Audio Cables
11. PMC Speaker + ARTORA Digital Amp + Transparent Audio Cables
12. Tannoy speaker + ARTORA Digital Amp + Transparent Audio Cables
13. PMC Speaker + Holfi Integra Integrated Amplifier +Transparent Audio Cables

The massive 3.5hrs of power interruption affected us so badly that, we have to let go of our couple of gears without proper auditioning session even for some not auditioning them at all! Ohh, a day is not enough for the huge list.

Here are they.....
Quad 909 Power Amplifier modified + Quad 99 Pre Amp
Acoustic Portrait Dual Mono-block SS Power amp
Promitheus Audio Apollo Passive + Tube pre amp (Malaysia)
Yamaha Amplifier
Jaton Operetta RC2000S/P Pre Amplifier
Rega Apollo CD player (UK)
Marantz CD player
Acoustic Portrait Scan speak based FLST Speaker
Quad 11L Classic BSF Speaker
Monitor Audio Silver RX6 FLST Speaker
Silver Interconnect designed & made by Mr. Sangram (Cranky)
Mogami professional Speaker cables (Japan)
M2Tech Evo USB To SPDIF Converter
24bit/96KHz Audiophile Audio tracks Via PC

The typically short and quick gear hopping session was with the following combinations:
1. Acoustic Portrait Speaker +Acoustic Portrait SS Power amp + Promitheus Audio Apollo + Transparent Audio Cables
2. Acoustic Portrait Speaker + Jeton Operatta Pre and Power Amp + Cardas Audio Cables
3. PMC TB2i+Jeton Operatta Pre and Power Amp+ Transparent Audio Cables

And rest we have to let go of without even touchingit was already 9:00at night:(.

Alright, so the Lucky Dip winners (everyone put your hands together):
Audio Art Classic Interconnects Sponsored by ARN Systems Bengaluru
Captain Ashokh (Give him a big hand)

USER Demonstration Audiophile CDs
Mr. Vinay Arora
Prashanth from Gurgaon
Subho (Lucky me!)

***Winner of the Prom King and Queen Crowns:

Extremely natural, balanced, yet appealingly musical, handcrafted in Britain baby
PMC TB2i Signature Bookshelf speakers
and

Extremely transparent and wonderful sonic, beautiful synergy and attention drawer
Leben CS300xs integrated amplifier

I would like to specially thank Mr. Vikas Raikhy (Owner Cocoz, Ludhiana) for providing each and every member a CD of Shabad Kirtan (Kirtan from Golden temple Amritsar).

That was the ending bell for the day. It was too late and raining. We enjoyed couple of slices of Pizza with Coke as dinner (Thanks to Sidharth for being such a wonderful host!! We mean it!:)).

Subodh,

Good Job! Pls also introduce the good folks in the group photo. Will be appreciated by fellow HFV'ians

Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back