Jan 2013 Delhi/Gurgaon NCR Audiophile Meet

hi,

I was fortunate that i could attend this meet on 13 Jan. i came to know about the meet on 12 jan evening. i gave a call to rahul n i was on. i am a complete newbie in hi fi world. as far as my knowledge about audio eqpt/speakers etc goes it is very basic n even that would be an overstatement!! but one thing is sure i had just bought a denon 1513 few days back n had decided to buy boston acousticus xs soundware 5.1 speakers set up for home theatre but after attending the meet i changed my mind and i am planning to buy a bookshelf now. brand n budget i am still working out but its going to be a bookshelf!! ithink the meet was well organised n its an impossible task to satisfy everyone. rahul a good job done. atleast i came out a better informed person from a complete novice, when i had entered the meet!!:yahoo:

Core,

Apart from the PMC, need your input how members were like AVidyarthy requested, any spoilers of the show as-usual ?

I believe PMC could have sounded better to the ears of there is no background noise thru out the day ;)

Yep, this is needed..:) The best part of these kind of meet is to convert most of the normal mediocre HT systems believers to the real world of music.:cool:

hi,

I was fortunate that i could attend this meet on 13 Jan. i came to know about the meet on 12 jan evening. i gave a call to rahul n i was on. i am a complete newbie in hi fi world. as far as my knowledge about audio eqpt/speakers etc goes it is very basic n even that would be an overstatement!! but one thing is sure i had just bought a denon 1513 few days back n had decided to buy boston acousticus xs soundware 5.1 speakers set up for home theatre but after attending the meet i changed my mind and i am planning to buy a bookshelf now. brand n budget i am still working out but its going to be a bookshelf!! ithink the meet was well organised n its an impossible task to satisfy everyone. rahul a good job done. atleast i came out a better informed person from a complete novice, when i had entered the meet!!:yahoo:

hi,

Exactly, the newbies gained a ton of exposure from it and we had a blast while at it. With drinks, food and all :)

On a funny note, Virenji loves Frooti / mango drinks! :D I found that really cute :D I shall remember to carry one with me whenever I go to his place next :D hehe. I love frooti myself :D

Core,

Apart from the PMC, need your input how members were like AVidyarthy requested, any spoilers of the show as-usual ?

I believe PMC could have sounded better to the ears of there is no background noise thru out the day ;)

How members were?

You mean like personality / looks? :eek:hyeah: (sorry, confused what the question is a little :p)

Yes the pmc could have sounded better to the ears if there was no background noise but it wasn't the background noise that was nerve wrecking, it was the type of demonstration tracks, like drums and what not which were being played at high volumes to overcome the noise that was nerve wrecking. And as the volume was increased, people talked just as loud.

The IB1S should never have been present at the meet to begin with, it was a mismatch to the venue. As per the information given to me an active mini bookshelf speaker the DB1S+ was what was going to be present, instead an IB1S turned up and threw the schedule out off considerably and just gave people a headache. I was handpicking gear suitable for the venue for the most part. Reason why you saw mostly small and medium bookshelves in the spreadsheet.

However the PMC IB1S was NOT on the spreadsheet. I would have stopped it had I known, because I know it would have been too much to bring, too much to set up, and too much for the venue and it would not have been an issue.

Ashish from Lakozy who was the sponsor himself didn't get to show some of his equipment due to the time wasted in setting up and dismantling of the PMC IB1S.

lSZmQ.jpg

Last edited:
Oh.. Ok.. PMC is not as bad, i understood..:p

Oh, in every meet design members identity like this as below to save visiting members Voice pollution ;)

maskaz.jpg

How members were?

You mean like personality / looks? :eek:hyeah: (sorry, confused what the question is a little :p)

Yes the pmc could have sounded better to the ears if there was no background noise but it wasn't the background noise that was nerve wrecking, it was the type of demonstration tracks, like drums and what not which were being played at high volumes to overcome the noise that was nerve wrecking. And as the volume was increased, people talked just as loud.

The IB1S should never have been present at the meet to begin with, it was a mismatch to the venue. As per the information given to me an active mini bookshelf speaker the DB1S+ was what was going to be present, instead an IB1S turned up and threw the schedule out off considerably and just gave people a headache.

Last edited:
hey !

The meet was super ! Meeting so many new people and hearing so many new combinations ! I super liked it ! :)

Verenji and frooti .. heheh yes that sure is cute !
i think Sid summarized the event really well and thanks CorE for organizing such an awesome event ! Well Done !! :clapping:
Such events need to be organized more frequently for the delhi folks !

Anyways, i have a few pictures from the event, hope you guys like them ! :)

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

Last edited:
Having organised events in Army, being a de facto event manager of the organisation that I'm working with and having organised a couple of events on HFV, I know what it takes to organise an event and hats off to the organisers.

Having said that, I feel that it would be the prime responsibility of the organiser to ensure that sensibilities of the participants are not hurt; one would have to walk a very thin line and be very careful of not treading the wrong path.:)

Last edited:

PMC was loud enough to shut everyone up :lol:

Oh.. Ok.. PMC is not as bad, i understood..:p

Oh, in every meet design members identity like this as below to save visiting members Voice pollution ;)

maskaz.jpg

What an idea sirji, good one :eek:hyeah:

Having organised events in Army, being a de facto event manager of the organisation that I'm working with and having organised a couple of events on HFV, I know what it takes to organise an event and hats off to the organisers.

Having said that, I feel that it would be the prime responsibility of the organiser to ensure that sensibilities of the participants are not hurt; one would have to walk a very thin line and be very careful of not treading the wrong path.:)

Very aptly put. Humility and maturity are some highly required traits for being an organizer at such levels. And like you said, it's a very thin line.

Hello! Back home after a fab road trip from Gurgaon. Its only been three days since the meet but it seems a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

It was great to meet & interact with you all & hope it was mutual. Must thank Rahul & Subho for doing their best to hold such a meet , it was hearting to see the young chaps showing such interest in what I feel is dying hobby & hope they keep up the learning process. Also thanks to Ashish for sponsoring it& last but not the least must thank the weather for being pleasant:) & not as chilly as it was in the days earlier.

We had planned to get the smaller pmc & amphions for the meet, but we had a stopover on the way where the pmc & belcanto was for an audition at friends house. We heard it & were awed by the dynamics & revealing nature of the set up, since there was talk of wanting a revealing set up for the meet we somehow managed to load it the innova & started off with hope that it will be diff experience for members as it was a big revealing speaker, which there were none in the list. Also we felt it was better to have only one set up rather than two as the time required to set them up would be double.

No Hi-Fi set up is perfect regardless of the design, price etc. It will always have something lacking or wanting & it differs from listener to listener. Any new set up requires at least an hour if not more to connect with as its a new experience & one has to forget their current experiences, understand what its doing in that particular room.

I hope we try & understand that the PMC IB1s is a studio monitor & its not designed for home audio. Hence it does require a good room & may be with some acoustic treatment.

Since there are lots of bouquets & Err mostly brick bats for esp PMC Ill have to first point at the positives.
1.The first song we played was the MJs thriller: it clearly showed the noise from the computer; still the opening of door had, might I say for a lack of better words so many different sounds to it. It was not even slightly evident on any other set up.

2.When the mac was attached & played thru pure music it did sound much better & the tyco drums were fast accurate & had impact. In fact it was the only time during the show where there was dead silence in the room except the creaking ceiling & resonating box on the pillar.

3.It was showing the diff in recordings very clearly no matter what kind of music was played. Be it Madonna, George Michael, Elton John etc. We could make out how difference in analogue, digital recordings

4.The speaker sounded much more forgiving when it was re positioned a bit during the demo of Shivas dac & transport. It clearly showed the diff in the same tracks being played be it thru the transport, a 44 bit rip or a hi res download.

5.In such a small room the driver integration even in near field was seamless, even though its a mid field monitor.

What we couldve done better.
1.May be we couldve stuck to the original plan got to the smaller speakers & played safe

2.Couldve taken more time to get the lock in the room, But I guess we could ve been thrown out as everybody was getting impatient as we had already taken 30mins to start it.

3.Get our own stands, but we couldnt due to lack of space.

4.We failed in understanding the limitations of the venue. Even though it was very well described & rahul was kind enough to get the carpeting done on our request.

Also we must apologize for being late as unfortunately our car tyres were stolen in the night & we had to go through some trouble to get new ones.
Hope it will all be taken in a good light & constructively. As pointing fingers, ridiculing or demeaning any one is certainly not the way forward .Hope we all learn from our mistakes.
Cheers.

Hello! Back home after a fab road trip from Gurgaon. Its only been three days since the meet but it seems a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then.

Hope we all learn from our mistakes.
Cheers.

Neo - Thanks for making it and taking all the efforts to present the huge PMC and the Bel Canto pairs. I must say the PMC monitors are superb for studio use, no wander why they have been used on BBC Technologies Headquaters.

Those speakers ware clearly capable of depicting the smallest nuance of the various media played by Mr. Siva and the well recorded tracks came up with full spectrum sound!! However, the limitation of the rooms became a bottleneck to make these monitors sound sync to the common stream home audio.

Since we havent switched to any other amp, I wont make any comment on Bel Canto pair. But, I'm sure they ware very much capable to produce the required giant power with all audiophile qualities.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
great work corElement
I reached very late to the "mela" :D enjoyed meeting lot of friends after a long time.
could not listen to Lyrita or harbeth's or synchronies.

Neo - I think you guys did work hard to get them work.

How was the NAIM?

Also, any news/reviews/Impressions on the sponsor's (Lakozy) set up?

Or did he not get any time to audition?

Last edited:
Naim pairing was quite good with the DIY transmission line floorstander, people gave a standing ovation.

We heard the following from Lakozy

Throughout:

NAD M51 DD DAc
NAD M5 SACD PLAYER
Supra Cables
Supra Power conditioner
Nostone Stands

Slot 1

Room Equalizer
NAD Dock
Naim Nait 5i on DIY floorstanders (received a standing ovation)

Slot 2

NAD M2 with
PSB Synchrony one B
PSB active mini speakers

PSB image B6 was having technical difficulties where it was shorting and could not be auditioned.

The 30 minute slot for Lakozy post lunch ended up happening after the transport demonstration by SIVA (by which time some people had left)

Wait till the weekend and people will put up reviews.

Last edited:
Everyone,
I think all of us here should acknowledge the fact that Ashish at Lakozy did great at the event and the event wouldnt have happened without his generous support.
Cheers Ashish ! :D :clapping:

I think everyone at the event liked the products showcased by lakozy.

I've never used a stand alone DAC before so i wont be the right person to say anything about it.

I absolutely loved the interconnects, the banana's and wire thickness were awesome. Although i doubt if supra uses Gold in there wires :eek:hyeah:

I personally got to handle the Naim Nait 5i with my DIY TL FSs, although i didnt get a chance to play around with much. But it sounded Great :) Definitely had more power than my Yammy 397 at my home.
Good First Impressions.

The NAD ipod dock was good and filled the acoustically imperfect room rather well !

Attachments

• Front2 copy.jpg
    Front2 copy.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 119
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back