The Radius DDM/HP-TWF11R

which is the iem with the best bass response so that it can used for electronica/trance?
i recently bought soundmagic pl-50 although the mids are very soothing and forward... perfect for vocal music but bass is not its forte.

I am not a Trance listener, but I'll attempt.

Check this long thread: Multi-IEM Review - 128 IEMs compared (EarSonics SM3 added 12/20) - Head-Fi.org Community

Check out - based on your budget

1. Brainwavz M2 (Rs. 2800 from PristineNote)
  2. Radius DDM
  3. Triple.Fi 10
  4. Monster Turbine Pro Gold
  5. Monster Miles Davis Tribute
  6. Westone 3
  7. FX-700

Hippo VB has lot of sub-bass, but it does not have the mid-bass quantity to make it work for EDM.

I own the DDM, TF10 and FX700 from the list. Rest have been reviewed by ljokerl.

TF10 has details, good depth of sound stage and nice imaging. Unlike most BAs, it has a bass that has good body, extension, impact, but retains the speed. Most reviews complain about V-Shaped / U-Shaped / Recessed mids. But, I don't have an issue. But that may be because I come from the super-recessed Panasonic HJE900 where vocalist stands 3 ft behind guitars as if he fears they'll smash him.

FX700, despite needing import from Japan and a $350+ price tag is probably the best dynamic IEM I've owned/tried to date. An open, airy, wide and deep sound stage with good timbre, separation and imaging without lacking much from the lows to the highs. It's not an IEM where you are looking for hairsplitting level of detail, but just plug and enjoy. It has a bass that is textured, extended and hits deep when needed. The only issue - they can't isolate too much even if their life depended on it. Many other IEMs get parts of what FX700 does right, but they don't do as well on a few other aspects. FX700 does lot of things well in one total package.

Today, when trying out different tips and fits, I figure out a few things:

Do not try foam tips. Tried Monster gel tips and they sucked the life out of DDM. Did not have complys to try.

Consider them more as earbuds which can be 'placed' into the canal. The shallower the fit, better it is. If it is too shallow, you'll hear a weird kind of balanced sound with treble finally coming out, bass sucked in, mids a bit recessed, but still with some texture. But I am talking about placing them barely in the ear like earbuds :rolleyes:. With a decent fit, you should hear it like rallynut does.

With a different tip, I was able to make it sound balanced. Usually the treble is recessed. But in this case, it lost some of the bass quantity, had lost much of the texture in the mids, but the treble was coming into it's own with some sparkle.

Last edited:
lol,this "rolling" of tips is black art or thereabouts :p.experimentation,as esanthosh describes,is the only sure shot way to audio manna :).cheers

Today, when trying out different tips and fits, I figure out a few things:

Do not try foam tips. Tried Monster gel tips and they sucked the life out of DDM. Did not have complys to try.

Consider them more as earbuds which can be 'placed' into the canal. The shallower the fit, better it is. If it is too shallow, you'll hear a weird kind of balanced sound with treble finally coming out, bass sucked in, mids a bit recessed, but still with some texture. But I am talking about placing them barely in the ear like earbuds :rolleyes:. With a decent fit, you should hear it like rallynut does.

These are the same tips I have been using & I now know why the mids were recessed..

These are the same tips I have been using & I now know why the mids were recessed..

Have you tried other Cowon EQ presets (Try Normal which turns off all EQ and effects)? I think that's more of an issue in your case.

No! Mids are recessed with these tips only if the fit is not right. Try wearing them over the ear and insert them just enough to make them stay in the ear. Personal preferences apart, I don't think you should be hearing recessed mids when they don't sound recessed to me. In those cases, it's either the fit or the tip. Try a different way to fit or a different tip when you have time. We will get to the bottom of this mystery ;)

Thanks much for your efforts, we will certainly dive to depths to find this out :rolleyes:, I haven't tried the Normal setting however tried the Maestro which you use, that was better but then I felt the lack in bass. So basically shifted back to my settings which i had shared with you.

i would try the normal & see if there is a difference, coupled with various styles of wearing these IEM's :)

Without caring for the after effects :rolleyes:, I can do some ear modeling and add a photo or two of me wearing the DDMs. But that is after you have run out of all options.

AHA!!!! i knew it,u ear model u :p!??lol

i have attempted to get only as good a seal as possible, and the tip i use is 'just right' for my ears. comfort, isolation and sonics wise. to me, the Radius DDM's are close to my idea of what sonics should be like. incredibly balanced, gobs of detail, and a sort of fluidity to it all.

having listened to the TF10 for a week straight and loving its strengths, i got back to the radius DDM's and suddenly,.."where's that treble gone to?!heh. whoa,..now THIS is bass. just listen to that voice!!! and,what texture to it all!!" :lol:. both are incredibly nice IEM's, at the very top of their game in tech and sonics,..just that they both have(as esanthosh would say ;) ),..a different focus. i use different tips on both to seal better, and inevitably its never the bundled tips that fit best.how weird is that? hugely different price points as well, lol. cheers

Last edited:
A big hello to all the audio brethren!!!!!!

Hasta la vista, baby... :lol:. And i am!

The last many months have been absloutely horrendous from a "connect on the forum" point of view (due to pressures at work) and i had to,...exit stage left. As quietly as i could too!!

Even so, i have had the good fortune of being in touch with the likes of esanthosh and iaudio during this time, and if the search for "audio manna" is to many of you like it is to me :D, audio related websites and research is never too far away.

In the time i have been away, i have managed to sample a few new toys, namely, the CC51p and now, an ipod touch 32gb :indifferent14:

As for the Radius, i am on my second pair (God bless Dimitri!), the first one having succumbed to the rigors of everyday usage and the likes :eek:!!!

On contacting Dimitri (Musica Acoustics, Japan), he promtly offered to replace the pair with a new one, and voila, my second slice of heaven ;).

Have been a little spoilt for choice regarding portable solutions to be honest (Cowon J3, Rockboxed (and now expired) Sansa Clip+, Ipod touch 32gb, Triple fi 10, MEE cc51p, Radius DDM), but i must say, the DDMs are still, my FAVOURITE iems, for everyday use, everywhere. Period.

Hmmm, now to somehow get an ARROW 12HE, and some customs :D. Man, when will that money tree of mine start bearing 'fruit'??? lol

Cheers!!

P.S: Yes iaudio/ esanthosh,.. i just HAD to revive the thread. INCORRIGIBLIS HORRIBLIS

Last edited:
@esanthosh,

..you had to, eh? Grazie, was thinking of stoking them dying embers myself :lol:.

Read that thread,...echoes so many of the myriad little things that infuriate about the DDM (the strain relief/connection, the exercise in getting the right tips, the fit, etc), but there is precious little out there that is close to my Cowon J3+ Radius DDM sound (IMHO). Now as suggestions, the JVC FX700 and of course the custom route would be the only way i can get betterment in acoustic nuance.Man, this glass ceiling!! LOL

Also, am i so glad that Dimitri of Musicaacoustics ( http://www.musicaacoustics.com/Store.html) is such a nice guy to deal with. To all, do remember that this is my 2nd pair of the HP-TWF11R :), the 2nd pair being covered in the warranty!!

To be fair, their build quality is far more than "just" acceptable, only that my previous pair saw some SERIOUS usage causing the premature wear and tear. Sigh.

Santhosh, to be honest, would love to hear the Radius DDM's through your "special" headphone amp :D. Some day, for sure.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Now as suggestions, the JVC FX700 and of course the custom route ...

I wish more people here would try FX700. Pity that I am so possessive that I won't allow anyone to use it (unless you have ways to cross seven seas and seven mountains to find that secret key to the locker) :rolleyes: :p

So the iPod touch is for use with the m50s?

Actually, the ipod touch was used very seldom :indifferent14:. Now, with the Linearossa line out, feeding the chip amp. Only for ALAC :)

For most part, here in blore, the J3 is my preferred source for the IEMs or otherwise.

Cheers

I wish more people here would try FX700. Pity that I am so possessive that I won't allow anyone to use it (unless you have ways to cross seven seas and seven mountains to find that secret key to the locker) :rolleyes: :p
I will sometime in the near future! Till them,.its the.fx 500 for me.

yeah, if the impressions on the FX700 are anything to go by, the FX500 should be no slouch ;).

cheers!

I will sometime in the near future!

You need an army of Rajnis from Enthiran to make me do that :p

I am right now listening to FX700 via iPod Video 5G -> LOD -> Arrow 3G (since the usual UHA-6S has some other 'duties'). It still amazes me with representation of strings (probably FX500 should do it well too), that great explosive dynamics which makes it gel with moody music to Gojira. Among all the IEMs I've owned, FX700 is the only one that does headphone like imaging - not in 3D, but at least in 2D, it reminds me of how I heard the same song with HD600. It's ability to keep up speed, provide sense of space and be detailed is amazing :licklips:

I rate EX-1000 to be 'better' than FX700, but I think my feeling on the first day comes back whenever I revisit it after a long gap - If I had to be left on a lonely island with a straight jacket and forced to take only one IEM, I'd probably choose FX700.

Ah! Don't worry! It's a phase. Tomorrow, I'll get back to complaining about it's recessed lower mids and not so great vocals (though detailed, not as engaging as some forward mid IEMs or even the FXT90).

Esanthosh, nope I was talking about buying one sometime!
Damn, you should have had the fx 500 this week.

Actually, I doubt if you will need the FX700 since you have the FX500. There are those who prefer FX500 over FX700. Anyways, I'll know soon when I get to hear the FX500.

PS: I know what you were talking about. But, I had to drop reference to the film since I caught it at last :p

Update: Now that I finally got to hear the DDM-1 again, I'd say that FX700 is clearly a couple of steps ahead. Without direct comparison, I feel that FX700 (which I heard yesterday) should score better in overall timbre, details, speed, sound stage, imaging while still remaining musical.

DDM1's signature is a bit difficult to wrap my head around after this long gap. Bass is still the prominent part of the spectrum, but with some tips like the big Monster foams (narrow opening), bass quantity is controlled and mids come out a bit. But, I felt that the mids had a slight veil. They have plenty more bass with fake UE single flanges which have a wider opening, but mids are, of course, recessed and overruled by bass. My Ortofon flanges which Dimitri sent for free are lost in the mix, not sure if I can find them. Tip rolling continues to find the better sound. Otherwise, some brain burn-in would help :)

DDM-1 does have better sound stage with QA350 -> UHA-6S, but then I did not try my familiar music, only Classical. So, will update on the source 'synergy' later.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back