The Radius DDM/HP-TWF11R

Thanks for all the suggestion guys, I just did what esantosh suggested & seriously the mid sounds way way better now, I feel relaxed :)
That said what I listened to was couple of Metallica & DMB (Dave Mat Band) songs. Hopefully tmrw should be a good listening in session again with nothing heavy mainly..Cheers

I'm glad it worked.

Listen to all kinds of stuff as much as possible. See if it works with everything you throw at it. If there's something wrong, please do share it (like if it seems to lag in resolving something or any other shortcoming). It's better to have both positive as well as negative opinions in the same thread so that it's useful for those who are considering the DDM :)

great :),u seem to be getting there!!!!as has been described before,most equipment worth their salt tend to dissect the music into its respective parts,thereby letting u enjoy macro/micro detail.the Radius DDM's somehow do the opposite.take every aspect of micro/macro detailing and mash it all into one cohesive,musically stunning jelly :licklips:.

as esanthosh has countless times told me,i have been very lucky to hit that point of 'diminishing returns/glass ceiling' very early on with a well thought out/researched purchase.there are indeed very many IEM's which do things well/brilliantly,..but nothing that does texture like the DDM,esp at the price i got them for :clapping:.i got my sister and brother-in-law to listen to my J3-RADIUS DDM combo,and they were amazed that u could get this kind of sound from a "earphone".in fact,my brother-in-law was listening to the combo last night and has categorically 'refused' to give it back to me :p.hmmm,looks like i have to get something of a portable setup for him too,lol.cheers

Last edited:
Spreading the word? Good :D

It might seem to those who haven't tried the DDM that rallynut is too much smitten (or is on "something" ;)). But, it's just very unique. Technically, there are better IEMs out there. If you dig deep, you can find faults with DDM as with any other IEM. But, even ljokerl says that these sound very unique unlike any other dynamic / BA / MA IEMs and he has reviewed and has tried over 120 IEMs. So, they do deserve some praise at least until something smashes it out of the park in terms of SQ.

Just one note: Have received word from Musica Acoustics that OEM version has sold out and will no longer be offered.

hmmm,what was stupendous value has become a little less so :p!!!i think for the price they retail at,it still is very,...affordable and more so,..unique :).cheers

Thats right, I was in touch with Dimitri, he said he has sold out the OEM's for good, & there are no chances of getting them as it was only a temporary promotion for a limited time. I guess he still has his own set which he had plans to sell...

The Radius which I own is now clearly burnt in, & there is a change to what it was to what it is now. I had a few concerns regarding the mids as it was not too detailed & clear, however that seems to be just an initial problem, which had mainly to do with my amp settings on E5. Its still slightly recessed to my liking, but I'm happy for the VFM it has offered to me & sounds great. I listened to a a few songs from Floyd, Alanis Morissette, Beck, Eagles, Kansas, Super Tramp, Led Zep, & Clapton.

Last edited:
Still something doesn't sit well with me. Mids on DDM are anything, but recessed. I have many IEMs that would fit the "recessed mids" description, but I won't really put DDM in that category. I guess you too are using the Ortofon tips? Try increasing the volume a bit more. DDM does not need an amp, but does scale a bit better with higher volumes.

true,the DDM is very grateful for that "minimal" amplification as i found out.no night/day difference,but sounds far more "focused" than without it.i think any headphone/iem/earphone with an impedance more than 20 ohms needs some amplification to really "shine" ;).cheers

Slightly OT - I don't know why, but I generally find that some IEMs pair better with S9 than with Clip+. May be Clip+ is not good at driving these to perfection (no output power officially given, S9 is 29 mW per channel).

I've observed that with DDM and today with the Panasonic HJE900. Yesterday, it sounded like crap out of Clip+. There was no impact on bass no matter how much I tried. Switched to S9, I feel that HJE-900 has plenty of bass, mid-bass in solid abundance, thankfully not bloated and it does go low to at least 31Hz and starts rolling off from there (Focal Audio test tracks were used). It's a similar case with Hippo Pearl, which sounds muddy with Clip+. But then, belying it's rated impedance of 16 ohms (106 db/mW sensitivity), it requires as much volume as RE0. So may be S9 is a better match to it.

Edit: It struck me out of the blue - I am using largely 320kbps mp3s on Clip+ and have many FLACs on S9. Is it possible that I hear 'better' due to FLACs? Nah! Impossible! I don't think so. Must be just the additional power S9's HP out provides!

Last edited:
I have been listening to the DDM's for a while now, things have changed. However I'm not sure if its the equaliser setting in the S9 which I changed made a difference or its more burn in (With the bass swithched off on the E5). I would highly recommend these IEM's to anybody out there. Watched couple of movies in my s9 aswell.

OT:
Esantosh: Appreciate if you tell me the EQ settings which you are using on the S9 & let me know if this is ideal:

80Hz Wide 7
220Hz Nor -1
1.4KHz Narrow 5
3.0KHz Nor 8
11.0 kHz Wide 9

BBE 10
Mach3 Bass 6
3D surround: Off
MP Enhance: On
Stereo Enhance: 3
Reverb: Off

^ EQ is a matter of personal preference, so as long as you are satisfied, it's absolutely ideal :). I'll try your custom settings and see how it goes!

I am using 'Maestro' preset for the last few months and have not felt the need to tweak around.

Sigh! I give in ... I am buying. I could not find a link to the product on their site, the list of products is confusing me. Can somebody paste me a url that I can just click on like a zombie to make the purchase? :)

PS: Does it work well with ipod touch or does it really need a headphone amp?

Cheers

@gobble,

No! it does not need an amp. But an upgraded version will be released in a month or two. It could be priced around $200 mark. Don't you want to wait? ;)

The OEM version is no longer sold. So, your choices of buying Radius are:

1) Accessory Jack - Radius HP-TWF11K Pro In-Ear DDM Headphones (Black)
2) Musica Acoustics (e-Mail and Paypal) - Contact Us
3) eBay - Radius HP-TWF11R W Pro in-ear Headphones FREE Shipping - eBay (item 220683391411 end time Nov-14-10 05:46:59 PST)

Although not in the same league (at least for me), Panasonic RP-HJE900 also does well in many areas. My review should be up on TE tonight or tomorrow.

@gobble,..gotcha!!!!!!:p.they are great IEM's and honestly,even for the price at retail,i feel very,very good value indeed.

@crn,looks like ur beginning to enjoy them "ddm" sound.as for eq'ing,it was mindboggling to read the various threads on settings alone in abi/iaudio :rolleyes:.i have never believed much in eq'ing,so my compromise with the J3-Radius DDM combo is "BBE".everything else to me seems to have a lot of gain dialled into the preset :eek:,or just not nice to my ears.very personal the choices here.as i mentioned previously,the cowon seems to the only player i have experienced where the presets are all "perceived" as very different,and all sound good.damn neat

@all,with the new replacement M11 tips from meelectronics,i seem to have found 'another' perfect fit ;).double flange-medium size.the soundstage seems to have stretched a few mtrs horizontally either side,seems more separation to the instruments and much more comfortable than my cx400 large size tips.R.I.P dear cx400 tips,...it was a good journey together.onto the next level of performance :p heh,beautiful indeed.cheers

Last edited:
@gobble,

No! it does not need an amp. But an upgraded version will be released in a month or two. It could be priced around $200 mark. Don't you want to wait? ;)

The OEM version is no longer sold. So, your choices of buying Radius are:

1) Accessory Jack - Radius HP-TWF11K Pro In-Ear DDM Headphones (Black)
2) Musica Acoustics (e-Mail and Paypal) - Contact Us
3) eBay - Radius HP-TWF11R W Pro in-ear Headphones FREE Shipping - eBay (item 220683391411 end time Nov-14-10 05:46:59 PST)

Although not in the same league (at least for me), Panasonic RP-HJE900 also does well in many areas. My review should be up on TE tonight or tomorrow.
Esanthosh and Rallynut

Thanks Guys. Sure I can wait. But I just may click on those links while sleep surfing the net and wake up with "regrets" the morning after looking at my credit card billing alert sms :D

Cheers

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back