The Radius DDM/HP-TWF11R

No problems at all when it comes to wearing them, so far so good, been listening on & off, lets see how i feel on a long stretch of listening, that should happen on Sun :)

Dimitri has also give me a pair of Ortofon Silicon Tips, which is what I have plugged

Last edited:
this seems like the best image i've come across that doesnt have anyone reaching out to protect their ears from the photographic 'assault' the DDM seems to convey in fit.more importantly,this way i can leave the "ear model" bit out of my resume,LOL.

in the image the iem seems a tad too deeply inserted to me,but variations in the shape/size/contours of an auricle are seen with people of different ethnicities probably accounting for the horror stories.in fact the body stays just outside the tragus,with the stem and tip in the external auditory canal, very comfortably too for me...u get the idea.heh,it almost seems like they were designed specifically for my 'desi' ears though ;).i should be applauding the designer here!!!!

P1000885 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
My photo came out exactly as you describe. But, I was not keen on ear modeling ;)

Radius being a Japanese co made it for Japanese people and perhaps, that's why it suits us better than americans.

@crn12,

That Ortofon tip may be the difference maker in all three of our cases. Am yet to try other after-market tips on DDM.

had another occasion to test my portable setup of the COWON J3+RADIUS DDM during travel,and have come to the same conclusions as before.havent had too many curious stares,and a stunning way to while way the time,sporting the proverbial idiot grin :).

the Radius are hugely fit and eartip dependent to get the maximum sonic performance/comfort outta them.this absolute dependence of a good seal leading to huge dynamic variations in the sonics is a little disconcerting at first.i remember using the CX400 tips which were the best fit for me,and loved the sound with BBE on the Cowon J3.all i did was change to the supplied silicone Ortofon eartip,med size,and while this offered a less than perfect fit,the sudden change in the sonics was too much :p.found myself having to use the MAESTRO setting to get it to sound like before.then to check,same setting with the CX400 tips,large size,and suddenly too much of a mid bass hump spoiling my party :mad:.so,back to BBE.

one thing though,the presets on the Cowon J3 all sound incredible,just that u find urself at times continuously fidding with them to get the right sound :rolleyes:!!!!

as is apparent,a "eartip rolling" of sorts should get u closest to experiencing the Radius DDM as they were meant to be.cant wait for the MEE electronics tips set to start that.cheers

@crn12,any further impressions?or have u fallen into that camp who hate the Radius DDM so much that they cant bear to talk about it :p???lol

LOL Doc, i havent yet found time to listen to it straight, been too busy ...I 'm planning to give it a listen tmrw...Hope to share my views in the coming week

The Radius DDM. Which I have been listening to it on & off..

Honestly I'm no expert when it comes to giving reviews, so just putting my thoughts on what I listened to & how I feel about it. I was in the hunt for buying a new pair of IEM's & thats when I bumped on these here. Took the plunge & bought this after reading reviews from rallynut, & other reviews from the net. To my surprise most of the reviews were very positive so thought of giving it a go. These came packed nicely from Japan bought it from a vendor whose details have been posted by rallynut, in the previous pages.

My player is a cowon S9, which is almost a year old with this I use along the Fiio E5 which is couple of months old.

Mine is a brown / burgundy coloured one. It looks like its a generation old & the fit was not bad at all. The first song which i heard on this was Iron Maidens "Fear of the Dark", to my astonishment I could easily figure out the difference from my previous (Sen, CX 300II), I was quite impressed for the VFM it offered. After this apparently i was stuck with loads of work (It rarely happens!!) & couldnt use them, I did find some time over the last week & gave it some good listening hours. My first impression was wow these are damn powerful which sounded very very good. With this I could hear all the details & was well balanced which apparently i had missed out. I listen to a lot of Rock & heavy stuff & I still dont prefer a lot of bass, for me music should be natural, but when there is a song which has good bass it should not be buried. When I heard the new album of Iron Maiden "The Final Frontier" I was completely taken a back as I could clearly hear the clarity of the vocals & the guitar was like I was completely engrossed in it. Most of the details were quite detailed, I liked it.

Then I just gave these IEM some time to BURN I think I gave about 20-25 hrs. After this I was listening to the new album of Robert plant "The band of joy" here my thoughts are a little different. I could see that the bass was good & deep, the treble was decent however there were these instances where the Mids were not. Then I spoke to my friends who advised me to burn in for more time, I then again burnt the IEM for additional 15 hrs. So a total of about 35 Hrs of burn in, then repeated the same band & the same album, I was happy about the mids it was now detailed to what it was before. Soundstage equally good, in a nut shell the Radius is powerful & deep in bass, very good highs & detailed & balanced lows. However I would still keep my opinion to myself when it comes to Mids (I dont know Im not entirely convinced about them)rallynut / esantosh / iaudio can help here!!!

Please keep in mind that the fit might not work out well for everybody (I'm still discovering new styles to wear them & trying to get to the best one), i find it tough to wear & listen to it when used while walking :) the wind noise will be too much & if it blows hard the ddm's will be in audible.

crn12, Thanks for the detailed impressions. Have you tried any simple acoustic music on these with good vocals?

iaudio: Not really I haven't tried them yet, was thinking of trying such tracks tonight or during the weekend, do you think that would make a difference?

crn, You could check and see if the mids are fine on such tracks. Just to know whether its the inability of the iem to do the mids or rather the mids getting drowned on complex section because the armature is 'too busy' making bass!
Ofcourse, the doc or esanthosh would know better.

Last edited:
@crn12,

Have you tried using it without the E5? Are you using E5 with the 'open secret' middle position in bass boost? Are you using FLAC / 320kbps files mostly for listening?

If anything, I found the treble to be polite. But, I don't find the mids to be a major issue. Is there anything specific you find lacking? Or in comparison to which other IEM / Headphone, you find mids not to your taste?

I find that DDM loves some power. With S9, it performs great when given the 'right volume'. Below it, mids sound recessed. But, that should not be an issue when you are using E5. I've not used E5 to drive the DDM as I was happy with it directly out of S9. That's why all these questions. It's always possible our expectations, ear training and tastes are different. But, just want to find out :)

Last edited:
Esantosh: You are absolutely right, I'm using the E5 with the bass boost & mostly 320kbps or FLAC files..I'm comparing this to my uncle who uses the Dennon AH D1001, which he recently picked up, anyways as iudio was mentioning I would listen to some acoustic & see if there is a difference..pl let me know if there is something a miss in my setup..& I would try the combos of without the amp & by switching off the bass boost in the E5

All things being equal, try without E5 and see if E5's bass boost adds a bit of muddiness to DDM's mids. DDM could be slightly picky. I can't say I like it with my Clip+ as much as I do with S9. You can also try with E5's bass boost off and also the 'secret' position right in the middle between on and off where it is said to boost both bass and mids.

I've not used E5 for sometime now and when I used, my audio vocabulary was less than one word strong ;). So, what I say is 'speculative' until I update this with my actual testing. I usually use iBasso T3 for amp-ing these days.

@crn12,good to see them opinions,finally too :eek:hyeah:.the Radius DDM do a lot of things very,very well.in fact i have found the mids on the DDM to be realistic,lush,textured,and their forte.as esanthosh/iaudio mentioned,what are the files that u use,bitrate wise?also,hard rock is a genre that generally doesnt have too much emphasis on the mids/vocals on recordings,unless of course it is a ballad of sorts by a hard rock/heavy metal band :rolleyes:.also,soundstage does collapse with different recordings,its almost like the recording was meant that way,not the fault of the IEM.shift to something else,especially live recordings,and u can literally "see" them concert goers,eerie.still,could u be ur perceiving something that is not to ur expectations?after all audio is subjective at best,lol.and if true,a reference being to what else????

in fact i still believe it could be fit/seal thats giving u ur issues,but then again if it was that true,u wouldnt be hearing any bass,period.tried listening to any other genre's???i do admit,i havent listened to much hard rock after getting them Radius DDM,but thats more cos i dont have good qlty files of Iron Maiden,etc,to give u a better opinion.

that said,as i have no doubt mentioned before,the way the DDM's present things can easily throw one off,INITIALLY.but before long they get ADDICTIVE,with pretty much every genre out there!!!!!!cheers

edit:whoops,saw my qns answered!!btw,i find them to be a stunning combo with my nuforce udac(explains the amplification bit),and a "lesser",but more organic sound with the J3,which needs to be driven a little loud for them to sound,...beautiful.btw,i found the best way to get a grip on the DDM's is to pick faults with it,lol.dissect every detail,and suddenly u realise,..it does every thing just right!!!!minus the treble "energy" bit,but very detailed nevertheless!!!!top-tier IEM for sure.for everyone??as is evident,jury is still out on that one :).

Last edited:
@rallynut,

Damn! You are such a fan boy :eek:hyeah:

You've not properly "graduated" from bottom up and have hit the glass ceiling too soon. There are other wonderful IEMs as well. But, I'm yet to find an IEM that does texture as well as DDM. May be one day, I'll find it and start a thread just to make you :mad: :mad:. :p :D

Doc, you are like the genie, someone rubs/stirs the Radius DDM thread, and lo presto! there you are to answer any questions/offer help!

Doc, you are like the genie, someone rubs/stirs the Radius DDM thread, and lo presto! there you are to answer any questions/offer help!

:lol:,yeah,seems so!!!that too,these posts being...from hyd with love,ala james "kuttan" bund.heh!!!

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back