The Sonos thread

Have they discontinued the Sonos 100/200 dedicated controllers?
My 100 seems to have conked out and cant seem to find anyplace i can get a replacement.
Yes, they have. They were expensive, the 200 in particular tended to have hardware failures and once Sonos started free controller software for third party devices, few people bought them and Sonos stopped making and selling them.
You might find a 100 on ebay US, but it has limited functionality now with the current version controller software.

I can confirm the stereophile comments by experience, that using the digital output of the Connect into a high end DAC brings it on par as a source with any digital transport of whatever price.
Audiophiles look at the price of the Connect, and dismiss this just based on how low the price is.
I say high end DAC because a mid price DAC won't show any better performance than the Connect feeding analog signals directly to an amp, with its already decent quality internal DAC. Unless one goes into critical listening mode on a system with resolving speakers in an otherwise silent room, the need for even an external DAC will not be felt.
This is the great thing about Sonos. It can be a high quality wireless digital source to a high end audio system, or, it can also do cheap and cheerful, with a single Play 1. And even then, at par or better than most bluetooth/wireless speakers that are at its price point of approx Rs 15k.
And of course, it can do both in the same home in different rooms, all with a common UI and a common music source.

Hey I thought Sonos wasn't available in India! Am I wrong? Have you bought it elsewhere.. if yes, is self-service the only option? Do tell, have been eyeing Sonos for the longest time and therefore without a sound system still :(

I bought all my kit on Amazon US, from 2011 to 2014. Faultless delivery and user experience that continues with the installation that covers 4 rooms. Unfortunately Amazon isn't consistent with delivery to India - it is a window that keeps opening and closing. Other on line ways to buy Sonos in India are way too expensive; a viable alternate is to buy or have some one buy it in the US and bring it across.
That said, it remains the best investment I have ever made in home audio, and now with Apple Music available in India through Sonos as well, the investment is of even more value.

Well recently I purchased a pair of Sonos Play1 & I must say I enjoyed it a lot. Before configuring the Play1 pair as a stereo one must consider that he should be ready to invest further into Sonos, as it sounds so great that you will drop your idea having single Play1 in a room.

Good point, they breed like rabbits!

Something you may want to consider for the 1 units, that add to their looks and a little to the sound quality as well:
Robot Check
When I bought the stands on Amazon I ended up with a significant refund of the customs duty because the assessed rate is lower than what Amazon collected upfront.

Be sure to also try to see if Trueplay tuning improves the sound for you; at this time you will need to have or borrow an iPhone to do that, one time need.

Good point, they breed like rabbits!

Be sure to also try to see if Trueplay tuning improves the sound for you; at this time you will need to have or borrow an iPhone to do that, one time need.

Yes I found considerable improvement with Trueplay using my ipad. I nstalled both Play 1 in my Living room using custom built wall mount clamps. I am considering to add Play 5 to my bedroom now but the cost in India is really high.

I agree; it only makes sense if you can get it via Amazon US, not Amazon India. Better still, if someone travelling to the US brings it back.
Of course as you know the cost has to be seen in the light of not then needing anything else - no amps, no CDPs and no messy cabling. And no furniture to keep those boxes on. For owned music you need a NAS of course, but as rooms are added, that cost is shared. And for the last couple of months, with Apple Music for Rs 120 a month, my NAS is idling, all I listen to and more is available there. Sound quality remains as it was when my SACD player was feeding a hifi separates set up.

Hmm... Amazon US is not shipping to India any more :(

I do have NAS & finding it convenient to stream via Sonos controller. Earlier I used to stream via airplay to other speaker but that was only possible if the PC on which itune was working.

1. Do you find any difference between streaming MP3 vs other lossless format songs?

2. I am also enjoying Apple music now. Do you like to recommend any other free audio channels on sonos in India?

All my CDs are ripped in Apple lossless to my NAS and many excellently recorded ECM albums are bought on iTunes in 256kbps lossy and stored there as well. Apple music streams are also 256kbps lossy and all three sound equally good or equally bad to my ears; this is driven by recording and mastering quality of the original recording, a good lossy codec does not detract audibly from the sound quality. Or perhaps it does so to such a small degree to not be noticeable if one is listening to the music for pleasure as opposed to doing so to find out what is wrong with the codec.

I can't speak to other lossy codecs, I use them very rarely.

As to free audio channels there are thousands of free radio stations available via the integrated Tune in Radio service in the Sonos controller app you can choose from. Many, such as jazz radio.com streams as just one example, are excellent in content and sound quality.

You can check Amazon.de, I think they are shipping to India. Further, Amazon India also lists the same but at a substantially higher price.

You can check Amazon.de, I think they are shipping to India. Further, Amazon India also lists the same but at a substantially higher price.

Thanks but I checked it & found they doesn't ship either to India & with price in Euros it will still be costlier including the duties, I guess.

That said, it remains the best investment I have ever made in home audio, and now with Apple Music available in India through Sonos as well, the investment is of even more value.

I must agree with my little experience with it..but in case of expanding further the question keeps peeking into my mind what in case of any hardware failure? Though the units are rugged in exceptional case of failure do we get any service in India?

Good catch that, the 5 isn't for India, the 1 and some other are delivered to India from Germany. Amazon UK also has similar availability.

Given the USD price levels there Amazon US is still the cheapest, but these alternatives are much better than the extremely expensive prices quoted by third party sellers listed on Amazon India.

Hardware failures aren't common; I am using 8-10 different units with no issues since 2011. However I have taken care to insulate my home from our poor quality mains power via an online UPS that makes sure that correct and clean power supply is available 24x7 to all electrical equipment at home. Sonos kit is designed to be left always on, so this is protection is probably essential.

There is no service in India; you will have to ship product back to the US at your cost.

Well finally I have placed order from global ebay.in.
I am also planning to use its AUX IN as my desktop speaker but somehow I have noticed that the minimum delay for AUX IN input is 75mS (with option Uncompressed Audio) & maximum is 2Sec (with option compressed Audio). Does anybody used PLAY 5 AUX IN for from A/V source? Is the 75ms delay/lag is noticeable? It will be a little problematic if so !

The delay is on account of the time taken to do Analog to Digital to Analog within the Sonos unit. With uncompressed, the delay isn't a noticeable issue provided the computer/TV speaker is kept muted. With Compressed the delay is a distraction since it feels noticeably out of sync with what is seen, even with the other speaker muted.

I trust you have ordered the recently released gen 2 play 5; the old 5 is good, but not great.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back