The Successor to HDMI is already announced. Not again :(

dotMac

Just when I thought HDMI is the last port I need to worry about,
Sony, Samsung and LG has finalized the specifications for a new A/V cable standard named HDBaseT, which is meant to eventually succeed HDMI.

And they are expecting to release it by the end of this year for their AV products.

Though I am pleased that it is not a proprietary cable like HDMI, how many standards do we need? :mad:

Hope atleast this will bring down the price of HDMI cables.

Source : newteevee

I always thought DisplayPort will supersede the HDMI. DisplayPort being open and superior. But guess it didn't get the backing from the industry. So only time will tell how prevalent HDBaseT is going to be.

This must be some new copy protection scheme disguised as new technology.

Sent from my iPod touch

Seems that it will use the RJ45 interface and CAT5e cable to transfer A/V and LAN data and even power over very long wires upto 100 meters.It will be a good conenction since ethernet cables are very easily available and you can make your own which is not possible with HDMI.

In long run HDMI has few disadvantages.

So lets buy some more equipments.........:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
i guess with technology we will always be the donkey chasing the carrot. there is no winning and there is no end

HDBase T looks interesting. They are using existing cable and connector technology and enhancing its capabilities. Even today Cat 5/6 and RJ45 are used extensively for transmitting audio/video across the house in multi room systems. We need not worry much because even if HDBase becomes a standard, we could all use it for major transport layer and then use converters at the ends to connect to out existing equipment.

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back